Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 133 guests

found a use for the ex-Sollie SD.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: found a use for the ex-Sollie SD.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:Of course, RFC has never mentioned if anyone in Torch or Haven (I think CoG mentions that Haven shipyards are updating and doing maintenance on the captured ships, IIRC) have found those MAlignment booby traps yet....

We all know, RFC's tendency to include his version of Checkov's "Musket over the fireplace" - But just how many barrels does that musket have?

We have the "suprise" on the PNE ships, we still don't know what was up with that ship running the "Pirates have me" transponder code which the Andies intercepted 10 or so books back in the opening chapter, What really is Audrey O'Hanrahan role in the Media campaign? etc, etc,...

When David finishes the series, I plan to read it in storyline chronological order - and I'm going to be ticked if we never find things like the what happened to Georgia Young or New Kiev.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Vince   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Hutch wrote:Of course, RFC has never mentioned if anyone in Torch or Haven (I think CoG mentions that Haven shipyards are updating and doing maintenance on the captured ships, IIRC) have found those MAlignment booby traps yet....

We all know, RFC's tendency to include his version of Checkov's "Musket over the fireplace" - But just how many barrels does that musket have?

We have the "suprise" on the PNE ships, we still don't know what was up with that ship running the "Pirates have me" transponder code which the Andies intercepted 10 or so books back in the opening chapter, What really is Audrey O'Hanrahan role in the Media campaign? etc, etc,...

When David finishes the series, I plan to read it in storyline chronological order - and I'm going to be ticked if we never find things like the what happened to Georgia Young or New Kiev.

Some things may never be explained, simply because of the needs of the storyline. (Would having something in the story help the story? Or would it just take up space?) Others may not be explained simply because sometimes, that's how real life works (we never find out somethings due to life's circumstances).
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Vince wrote:
Theemile wrote:

We have the "surprise" on the PNE ships, we still don't know what was up with that ship running the "Pirates have me" transponder code which the Andies intercepted 10 or so books back in the opening chapter, What really is Audrey O'Hanrahan role in the Media campaign? etc, etc,...

Some things may never be explained, simply because of the needs of the storyline. (Would having something in the story help the story? Or would it just take up space?) Others may not be explained simply because sometimes, that's how real life works (we never find out somethings due to life's circumstances).

True enough, Vince, for some things; still, a single sentence can sometime suffice (Descroix was mentioned once in a MALignment meeting; all they said was she had been 'dealt with' and that's all that needed to be said.

So hopefully a couple of sentences on the bombs and Georgia Young (who may never be found--the Ballroom has other fish to fry right now and that lady might have been amoral and ruthless, but not stupid--and known space is big and heaviliy populated).

Still, we shall see.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:So hopefully a couple of sentences on the bombs and Georgia Young (who may never be found--the Ballroom has other fish to fry right now and that lady might have been amoral and ruthless, but not stupid--and known space is big and heavily populated).

Still, we shall see.

I think we've already gotten all we're going to get on the destruction of "the Northhollow files" and her apparent disappearance.

I suspect that She's going to resurface as a serious antagonist with revenge against the Zilwiki clan and Cathy Montaine. Since the Zilwiki Clan includes Ensign Helen Ziilwiki, and Queen Berry is surrounded by ex-Ballroom fantaics, Amazons, and Elite BSC forces, I'd expect her to turn up in or near the Talbot Quadrant -- Where Helen can provide graphic and gruesome closer to the storyline. :twisted:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kzt   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:53 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:I think we've already gotten all we're going to get on the destruction of "the Northhollow files" and her apparent disappearance.

I suspect that She's going to resurface as a serious antagonist with revenge against the Zilwiki clan and Cathy Montaine. Since the Zilwiki Clan includes Ensign Helen Ziilwiki, and Queen Berry is surrounded by ex-Ballroom fantaics, Amazons, and Elite BSC forces, I'd expect her to turn up in or near the Talbot Quadrant -- Where Helen can provide graphic and gruesome closer to the storyline. :twisted:

I've heard that really high resolution digital images are very compact and someone could, if they were so inclined, put the entire set of files in their pocket. I wonder what the SL mandarins or the Renaissance Faction leadership would pay for that collection? :twisted:
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
Hutch wrote:So hopefully a couple of sentences on the bombs and Georgia Young (who may never be found--the Ballroom has other fish to fry right now and that lady might have been amoral and ruthless, but not stupid--and known space is big and heavily populated).

Still, we shall see.

I think we've already gotten all we're going to get on the destruction of "the Northhollow files" and her apparent disappearance.

I think she's the type that cares more about herself than revenge, and will probably try to stay out of the way unless she feels that she is cornered.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:I've heard that really high resolution digital images are very compact and someone could, if they were so inclined, put the entire set of files in their pocket. I wonder what the SL mandarins or the Renaissance Faction leadership would pay for that collection? :twisted:

Not a lot. Not when the continued existence of the files would point a huge Neon arrow to Georgia's location I doubt that the entire GNP of both would tempt her to sell -- if she took the time out of her limited head start to make copies, which I doubt.

Georgia/Elaine is going to show up again, but the files are just dissipating "Magic Smoke."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:43 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
kzt wrote:I've heard that really high resolution digital images are very compact and someone could, if they were so inclined, put the entire set of files in their pocket. I wonder what the SL mandarins or the Renaissance Faction leadership would pay for that collection? :twisted:

Not a lot. Not when the continued existence of the files would point a huge Neon arrow to Georgia's location I doubt that the entire GNP of both would tempt her to sell -- if she took the time out of her limited head start to make copies, which I doubt.

Georgia/Elaine is going to show up again, but the files are just dissipating "Magic Smoke."

I actually think she could sell the files safely if she has a copy. It would take time for word they had been used to reach the SEM, figuring out that the information had come from the North Hollow files would require an insanely lucky break, and even if they pull that off than they still have to find where and who the files are being used by, and where they were purchased. Any one step of which would give Georgia/Elaine all the time she would ever need to run and get a new ID much less carrying out all of the steps.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:49 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

wow these last few posts seem to have mixed this Sollie SD thread up with the Honorverse wish list thread.
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:

One more time...

Imagine the situation in which a planet of ex-Manpower slaves, under MoD Jeremy X and CinC Thandi Palane, advised by ex-yard dog and master spy Anton Zilwiki, and freakin' VICTOR CACHAT!, is handed a bunch of Manpower maintained, ex-Peep State Sec ships.

Can any of y'all self admitted fanboys and girls seriously tell me that you for one minute believe that those ships were not examined, scanned, tested, tasted, and partially disassembled down to the near molecular level before being accepted into Torch service.

Hell, Victor would do it even if Beowulf delivered new ships direct from the building slips, just because it's his definition of "prudent".

This is a non-issue that has been hanging around now through, what, 6 years and 5 books, just because some folks seem to want the defense establishment of Torch (and Maya for that matter) to appear criminally negligent/stupid.

Those charges are NOT going to be detonated. They were expected, found, and removed before any ships entered service.

BTW, we know what happened to Georgia Sacristos. She left Manticoran space for her health, never to return. which is not necessarily the same thing as David never using her again. But her story is sufficiently told that he doesn't need to say anything more.
Oh, and New Kiev is dead, and probably dumped in space or fed into a reactor somewhere. At least, Albrecht Detweiler is satisfied that she is finished, and he's pretty demanding about things like loose ends.

Don't pull on the loose threads that have been tied off. David already has about 25 to clean up that can't be called 'adequately resolved'.

dreamrider
Last edited by dreamrider on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Honorverse