Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 144 guests

All you need are Nike BCL

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: All you need are Nike BCL
Post by J6P   » Fri May 16, 2014 4:48 pm

J6P
Captain (Junior Grade)

tootall wrote:RFC has stated quite definitively that you cannot mount a grav lance in anything smaller than a destroyer.

When I get to be a Fleet Admiral-am I allowed to say those words?

Even midshipmen can read the pearls(David's words posted on the board collected over the years) over on [url]thefifthimperium.com
[/url]
Can you read? Yes, I do believe you can. Enjoy.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri May 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

What we know is that a LACis about 5000 displacement tons Shrike anyway. And that a Keyhole is closer to 50,000. And a Frigate is about the size of a dispatch boat which is 45,000 tons displacement. And a small DD is 68000 while a GL & eight ET which are themselves huge fit into 100,000 tons. Plus how many hundred of crew life support for those 100's etc... Frigate size might be the magic size / number.

A Frigate may be the last shot of the GL the only thing with the closing speed and stealth needed to get into firing range. Yes it would gut the rest of its armament but perhaps it could keep its rear Graser.

As for it being longer than the keyhole yeah it is but the space would not be inter changable as is now, although I suppose it could be made to be, but it would needed to be made to be one the other or both. Same amount of space different configuration.
Post by boballab   » Fri May 16, 2014 9:05 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

Lord Skimper wrote:What we know is that a LACis about 5000 displacement tons Shrike anyway. And that a Keyhole is closer to 50,000. And a Frigate is about the size of a dispatch boat which is 45,000 tons displacement. And a small DD is 68000...

Head...Desk...Head...Desk...

Shrike-class light attack craft
Mass: 20,250 tons

Dimensions: 71 × 20 × 20 m

Shrike-B-class light attack craft
Mass: 21,250 tons

Dimensions: 72 × 20 × 20 m

Ferret-class light attack craft
Mass: 20,750 tons

House of Steel

What comes in the 5000 ton range is ASSAULT SHUTTLES not LAC's.

There also hasn't been a DD in RMN service less than 75,000 tons since 1916 PD and all the ones that were in 68,000 ton range were decommissioned in 1907 as being obsolete.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by Theemile   » Fri May 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

boballab wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:What we know is that a LACis about 5000 displacement tons Shrike anyway. And that a Keyhole is closer to 50,000. And a Frigate is about the size of a dispatch boat which is 45,000 tons displacement. And a small DD is 68000...

Shrike-class light attack craft
Mass: 20,250 tons

Dimensions: 71 × 20 × 20 m

Shrike-B-class light attack craft
Mass: 21,250 tons

Ferret-class light attack craft
Mass: 20,750 tons

House of Steel

There also hasn't been a DD in RMN service less than 75,000 tons since 1916 PD and all the ones that were in 68,000 ton range were decommissioned in 1907 as being obsolete.

Even worse - Assault shuttles are in the 500 ton range.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri May 16, 2014 10:52 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Theemile wrote:
boballab wrote:

House of Steel

Even worse - Assault shuttles are in the 500 ton range.

Yep. A Condor pinnace is around 300 tons, so 500-600 is reasonable for an assault shuttle.
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri May 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

An entire fleet or navy consisting of only one class of vessel is IMO a very, very bad idea because it means every ship in the fleet has the same weaknesses and once your enemy figures out what they are and how to exploit them such a navy is in very deep trouble.

And yeah I would probably literally turn cartwheels or at least make my best efforts to do so if a new class of Manticoran frigate enter widespread use in the main series but RFC has made it blatantly clear that will not be happening. I'm still hopeful about possible short stories about Honor's time on the HMS Osprey though, or getting to see Manticoran frigates in use some in the Manticore Ascendant books since they are set hundreds of years before the main series when frigates are considered outdated by top of the line navies.
Post by Grashtel   » Sat May 17, 2014 12:53 am

Grashtel
Captain of the List

Roguevictory wrote:And yeah I would probably literally turn cartwheels or at least make my best efforts to do so if a new class of Manticoran frigate enter widespread use in the main series but RFC has made it blatantly clear that will not be happening. I'm still hopeful about possible short stories about Honor's time on the HMS Osprey though, or getting to see Manticoran frigates in use some in the Manticore Ascendant books since they are set hundreds of years before the main series when frigates are considered outdated by top of the line navies.

Well there is the IMO quite strong argument that Rolands are at least as much frigates as destroyers if you wanted to go there
Post by Roguevictory   » Sat May 17, 2014 2:01 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Grashtel wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:And yeah I would probably literally turn cartwheels or at least make my best efforts to do so if a new class of Manticoran frigate enter widespread use in the main series but RFC has made it blatantly clear that will not be happening. I'm still hopeful about possible short stories about Honor's time on the HMS Osprey though, or getting to see Manticoran frigates in use some in the Manticore Ascendant books since they are set hundreds of years before the main series when frigates are considered outdated by top of the line navies.

Well there is the IMO quite strong argument that Rolands are at least as much frigates as destroyers if you wanted to go there

Honestly hadn't considered that but given RFC's stated feelings on the subject (Namely that frigates are no longer large enough to serve as effective hyper capable warships and they won't be increasing in size like Destroyers and Cruisers have so they can reclaim their old role in the fleet with the only navys using them being those who can't replace them with destroyers for one reason or another.) I doubt that was RFC's intent. The only modern frigates we've seen were intended as guerrilla raiders rather than naval warships after all before circumstances made them Torch's starting navy.
Post by Whitecold   » Sat May 17, 2014 2:15 am

Whitecold
Commander

A Roland can't stand up to its own weapons, one double broadside will completely destroy the ship, thus its effectiveness is limited to the time it takes someone else to make an equivalent design.
It has been stated that the warship of the future will need keyhole to survive, and that the smallest hull for that will end up in the 400kton range, which would be then your destroyer.
Then a Roland would be considered a frigate, but currently calling a ship that has more combat power than any CA in existence but the Sanagami-C a frigate is a bit too much.
In the end it doesn't matter what you call your ship, both sizes, equipment, and definition of types can and will all change over time.
Post by namelessfly   » Sat May 17, 2014 5:58 am

namelessfly

Whitecold wrote:A Roland can't stand up to its own weapons, one double broadside will completely destroy the ship, thus its effectiveness is limited to the time it takes someone else to make an equivalent design.
It has been stated that the warship of the future will need keyhole to survive, and that the smallest hull for that will end up in the 400kton range, which would be then your destroyer.
Then a Roland would be considered a frigate, but currently calling a ship that has more combat power than any CA in existence but the Sanagami-C a frigate is a bit too much.
In the end it doesn't matter what you call your ship, both sizes, equipment, and definition of types can and will all change over time.

A ship that can ream SLN BCs and even take on SLN SDs should not be called a Frigate.

Return to Honorverse