Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 158 guests

Failure and the SLN...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Failure and the SLN...
Post by namelessfly   » Thu May 15, 2014 11:41 am

namelessfly

I was basing the analysis on the same pessimistic assumptions the Honor Harrington used when she formulated her grand strategy to dismember the SL.

I am unconvinced that the number of missile pods claimed by Harrington in ART was not an exageration. HH was using numerous deceptions to mislead and intimidate the SLN fleet. RFC has stated that the missile and pod loud out of shipsis becoming as expensive as she ships. Queen Elizebeth in her speech after OB assures us that the RMN ships have full magazines and the colliers are loaded,but claims no more. If the RMN and GSN have fewer than 500 SD(P)s after BoM and OB, I would not expect them to have more than a few thousand pods per ship.

That gives the RMN and GSN about one million pods or 10,000 missiles.

How many missiles Haven has after BoM is a matter for conjecture, but probably not a large multiple of the load out for their existing ships.

Most SL systems do not build freighters much less warships, but even Shell and some Verge systems have significant orbital industries. If left intact, those industries can be used to build shipyards and missile production lines faster than Manticore and Grayson can rebuild.

The GA has to retain a massive reserve ofshipsand missiles to deal with the Malign.

My point here is that the GA would have every reason to employ Soft Power to persuade SL systems to make peace because conquest would be uncertain and expensive.

lyonheart wrote:Hi Namelessfly,

Obviously if the GA has any brains they aren't going to follow your scenario.

NTM your assumptions were mixing quite a few apples and oranges.

Permit me to disagree with your assumptions. ;)

From CoS there were then only 1784 member systems while the protectorates don't have much infrastructure, so lets assume around 1800 members about 3 years later; from the pearls most SL members aren't that interested in space infrastructure etc [such as building their own freighters, which are pretty easy], since relatively few take that much advantage of it.

Given the GA is seeking lots of support why would they start out by trashing every SL member's system infrastructure?

The Maya sector was rather unusual in being very heavily industrialized, so expecting all SL members to be so is another error.

Haven had ~135 systems before the second war, and has added almost a dozen more as a result, so its closer to 150 than 100.

The 4 BC's destroyed in Saltash evidently could have been destroyed with half as many missiles, NTM it is hardly going to be typical for every system or protectorate when the FF averages only 3 ships of all types per system after accounting for 15% refits etc.

If a BC takes ~60 missiles, a CA around 30, a CL about 20, and a DD only 10; then the average for the FF assuming equal numbers for all classes would be about 30 each or ~90 missiles per system assuming all three were on station in each system, which obviously won't be the case.

Do you want to agree even 1.5 FF ships per system might be high?

If Saltash were the average system, destroying its infrastructure would take less than a dozen missiles, ie only ~100 missiles per protectorate if the GA were so stupid in so many ways as to destroy such non-threatening infrastructure in the first place.

A quarter of the EC voted with Beowulf, so they are hardly hostile to its and the GA's arguments and philosophy, while given the smaller populations of the shells etc could represent a third of the member systems which might soon become GA members.

The shells, where the vast majority of member systems exist, are rather opposed to the preferential treatment given the core worlds at their expense, many have only been kept in line by the BF and its massive reserve, so I doubt too many of them will have their infrastructure targeted as well.

So the actual GA initial target list might be less than 100-200 systems for all the SLN bases and hostile SDF's.

The core 'old league' systems are only ~80 systems that includes Beowulf and several about to follow her, and according to the pearls have only LAC's and no military R&D, being completely reliant on the SLN, so they can be largely ignored as an immediate threat aside from SLN bases, and the rather rare SLN shipyard [only ~6 or so can build SD's, taking ~3 years], so even assuming 20-30% have military targets, missile expenditure could be less than 20,000 MDM's for the whole core, depending on how all of the BF and FF reserve is destroyed, ie with single contact nukes possibly delivered by modified RD platforms to reduce the expense since they're helpless targets.

Regarding missile numbers, HH told Filaretta the quarter million plus he could see were less than 10% of the pods available to her, ie not those in the RHN or used in Lacoon 1 etc for something probably exceeding 3 million pods averaging close to 10 missiles per pod for something probably in excess of 30 million missiles before adding non-pod missiles, without getting into probable RHN daily production rates, or Beowulf starting up Apollo in in a couple of month's.

Total initial MDM expenditure could be as low as 250-500,000 not 10 million.

Regarding the Cutworm raids, HH only had less than a single SDP squadron, which they operated as pairs for the ~11 raids.

So assuming there were 200 primary target systems that are initially attacked by 50 TF's with at least 2 SDP's each, it might only take 4 month's to eradicate the SL's effective naval forces, while if the GA can spare a hundred more SDP's out of 900+ SDP's [soon to be over 1200] it might take only 2 month's.

L

namelessfly wrote:ROFLMAO!

Now, sticking to the Honorverse, it remains theoretically possible for the SLN to recover. Others have expressed extreme optimism regarding the capability of the GA to destroy the SLN's infrastructure, but let us consider the numbers.

The SL has about 2,000 member systems including probably 1,000 densely populated, technologically advanced, and industrialized core systems. In contrast, Haven is what, 100 systems?

From Saltash we get a sense of how many missiles are needed to takedown even a backwater system but without trashing infrastructure. Five DDs launched four, triple salvos totallying 5 x 4 x 3 x 12 = 720 missiles.

This is a bit shy of 1,000 missiles. Taking out industrial infrastructure will increase the missile expenditure as will having to engage moderately effective defenses including Technodyne system defense missile pods.

Assume only 10,000 missiles expended per core system. That is a total of 10 million missiles or the load out of 2,000 SD(P)s.

The GA has the missile stockpile needed, barely.

Now consider time. During the Cutworm raids in AAC, Honor was trashing may be one system per month using the rough equivalent of an SD(P) squadron.

If the GA assigns 50 squadrons to raiding SL systems, then they take out 50 systems per month.

In 20 months, they can take down the SL.

Problem is, take out the industrial infrastructure after you have taken out interstellar commerce and these SL systems will collapse economically and socially. The same Potterry Barn rules that applied in Iraq will apply with the SL. You Break it, You Buy It. How will the GA provide security, governance and sustenance to these SL systems? How can they do this whhen they need to cover themselves from the Malign?
Post by TheMonster   » Thu May 15, 2014 2:00 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

namelessfly wrote:My point here is that the GA would have every reason to employ Soft Power to persuade SL systems to make peace because conquest would be uncertain and expensive.
That's precisely the Harrington Plan. The SLN itself must be defeated, but the SL member systems/sectors will be encouraged to secede from the SL, following Beowulf's lead, in exchange for which they get mutual-defense pacts with the GA, favorable trade posture (including discounts on wormhole transit fees at the MWJ as well as all those Lacoön-II termini now under Manty management, but likely to become joint operations with the local governments once they break with the League and sign those treaties).

We've seen a taste of it with how Mike handled Meyers in SoF. I believe DW deliberately did that to show an example of how the Harrington Plan would be implemented. I believe we'll see something similar with Mesa, only with the Seccies forming the local government with Torch "advisors" helping out, and RMN/RMMC presence in orbit ready to put out any fires. (There really ought to be some advisors from Erewhon as well.)

There are about a half-dozen major construction yards that will either be seized or destroyed by the GA because they're the yards capable of being quickly retooled for SD(P) production. The rest of the SLN assets can largely be turned over to the successor states, if the GA is able to capture them intact.
Post by Hutch   » Thu May 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Snipped the other comments lest the fusion bottles powering this Forum overload.

namelessfly wrote:I was basing the analysis on the same pessimistic assumptions the Honor Harrington used when she formulated her grand strategy to dismember the SL.

I am unconvinced that the number of missile pods claimed by Harrington in ART was not an exageration. HH was using numerous deceptions to mislead and intimidate the SLN fleet. RFC has stated that the missile and pod loud out of shipsis becoming as expensive as she ships. Queen Elizebeth in her speech after OB assures us that the RMN ships have full magazines and the colliers are loaded,but claims no more. If the RMN and GSN have fewer than 500 SD(P)s after BoM and OB, I would not expect them to have more than a few thousand pods per ship.

According to the House of Steel, Medusa's carry 492 pods and the Invictus class carries 1,074 pods--Graysons' Harrington I carried 492 pods and the Harrington II 984. Havenite numbers are unavailable at the moment, but figure they would have similar numbers.

Average it out to abut 750 pods/SD(P) x 500 ships = about 400,000 on-board pods. So even if the GA has ammo ships carrying a full releoad for every SD(P), that's about 800,000 pods, tops.

Which, if Honor was being honest, leaves a total of about 1.4 million system defense pods, which strikes me as a bit of..overkill. So Honor may well have been--slightly enthusiastic on that score.

How many missiles Haven has after BoM is a matter for conjecture, but probably not a large multiple of the load out for their existing ships.

I would note that there was a period post-BoM and during Honor's negotiations that there was almost no shooting at all--the MWW has noted that this would allow the Manties to build up their missile stocks--no reason Haven wouldn't have been building as many missiles as they could at the same time....

Most SL systems do not build freighters much less warships, but even Shell and some Verge systems have significant orbital industries. If left intact, those industries can be used to build shipyards and missile production lines faster than Manticore and Grayson can rebuild.

Indeed, and I concur that simply destroying them out of hand would not lead to the conclusion Honor wants.

The GA has to retain a massive reserve of ships and missiles to deal with the MAlign.

I am not sure I concur with you here--the MAlign is the ultimate target, but right now no one knows where they are (except that they are discovering they ain't on Mesa anymore) and meanwhile the Sollies are still that 800-lb gorilla--dazed and woozy, perhaps, but you don't give said gorilla time to recover and recoup.

My point here is that the GA would have every reason to employ Soft Power to persuade SL systems to make peace because conquest would be uncertain and expensive.

True enough and we are in agreement here--the question of how to apply the Soft Power (with the Mailed Fist unspoken but always in the background) while also ensuring that the SLN never has the chance to rebuild and return for revenge is the circle that the MWW will have to square in the next couple of books.

I await that solution with anticipation....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by lyonheart   » Thu May 15, 2014 6:02 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hutch,

It's always good to read your posts, I look forward to more.

The early RHN SDP's only carried 400 pods [10 MDM's @], but the likely improved second generation we haven't seen in action yet probably carries more just like the RMN and GSN's etc.

Manticore had almost 7 month's missile production after BoMA, or around 200+ days at 10,000 MDM missiles minimum per day for 2 million plus Grayson's [another 2 million minimum] besides Haven's, which ought to be much higher still plus Haven's production in the 100+ days since OB, for something near 10 million since BoMA alone beyond all those made in the 20+ month's of the second war, perhaps 30 million more for ~50 million made in the last 30 month's less those expended in battle [roughly a couple million] not counting all those tens of millions built before the second war [since ~1912 PD for the SKM and Grayson].

Shooting the 800 lb gorilla in the head a couple of times while its still semi-conscious and inert on the floor right now seems the easiest and best solution. ;)

L

Hutch wrote:Snipped the other comments lest the fusion bottles powering this Forum overload.

namelessfly wrote:I was basing the analysis on the same pessimistic assumptions the Honor Harrington used when she formulated her grand strategy to dismember the SL.

According to the House of Steel, Medusa's carry 492 pods and the Invictus class carries 1,074 pods--Graysons' Harrington I carried 492 pods and the Harrington II 984. Havenite numbers are unavailable at the moment, but figure they would have similar numbers.

Average it out to abut 750 pods/SD(P) x 500 ships = about 400,000 on-board pods. So even if the GA has ammo ships carrying a full releoad for every SD(P), that's about 800,000 pods, tops.

Which, if Honor was being honest, leaves a total of about 1.4 million system defense pods, which strikes me as a bit of..overkill. So Honor may well have been--slightly enthusiastic on that score.

I would note that there was a period post-BoM and during Honor's negotiations that there was almost no shooting at all--the MWW has noted that this would allow the Manties to build up their missile stocks--no reason Haven wouldn't have been building as many missiles as they could at the same time....

Indeed, and I concur that simply destroying them out of hand would not lead to the conclusion Honor wants.

The GA has to retain a massive reserve of ships and missiles to deal with the MAlign.

I am not sure I concur with you here--the MAlign is the ultimate target, but right now no one knows where they are (except that they are discovering they ain't on Mesa anymore) and meanwhile the Sollies are still that 800-lb gorilla--dazed and woozy, perhaps, but you don't give said gorilla time to recover and recoup.

True enough and we are in agreement here--the question of how to apply the Soft Power (with the Mailed Fist unspoken but always in the background) while also ensuring that the SLN never has the chance to rebuild and return for revenge is the circle that the MWW will have to square in the next couple of books.

I await that solution with anticipation....
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by lyonheart   » Thu May 15, 2014 6:23 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi MunroBurton,

Excellent post!

Thanks, I enjoyed it very much and regret not saying so last night, while I look forward to further great posts.

Given the SL is some 300-400 LY in diameter [~23.83 M cubic LY's], 100 SLN bases implies a radius of less than 40 LY for each, do you think that is a high figure, or might there be ~50 bases with another 50 smaller 'stations' mainly for the FF?

L

munroburton wrote:
namelessfly wrote:From Saltash we get a sense of how many missiles are needed to takedown even a backwater system but without trashing infrastructure. Five DDs launched four, triple salvos totallying 5 x 4 x 3 x 12 = 720 missiles.

This is a bit shy of 1,000 missiles. Taking out industrial infrastructure will increase the missile expenditure as will having to engage moderately effective defenses including Technodyne system defense missile pods.

Assume only 10,000 missiles expended per core system. That is a total of 10 million missiles or the load out of 2,000 SD(P)s.

The GA has the missile stockpile needed, barely.

That also assumes the GA will have to fire off that many missiles to accomplish this scorched earth(space) policy - which they won't embark upon, anyway. Meyers was taken without firing a shot, for example, because the SLN assets there had enough information and exposure to know resistance was futile and because the RMN had a lot more ships present.

Saltash was an odd situation. Five destroyers(perceived as light cruisers) facing down four battlecruisers? The only reason an engagement was fought and used so many RMN missiles was that both opposing COs underestimated the RMN edge.

The Governor Duenases of the SL will find it much more difficult to order penny packets of subwallers to face down a GA battlecruiser or, god forbid, SD(P) squadron. And when word of Saltash gets around - easily, as the RMN went away after they recovered interned Manticoran civilians - they will not find it so easy to order BCs to engage 'light cruisers'.

Chalker, with 6 DDs, backed off from two Sag-Cs, a Roland and another DD. Tsang, with 100 SDs, backed down from 36 SDs and ~60 SD(P)s. Filareta, with 427 SDs, was going to surrender to 440 SD(P)s.

One of the best strategies of war is to force surrenders without firing a shot. However, to do that, the RMN needs to wait a little while, allowing the news to spread and sink in. It may take a little longer, because the SL itself used to occupy that position of dominance, where a dispatch boat carrying a diplomatic threat was sufficient because of that huge battle fleet looming in the background.

Mount Royal now sends those dispatch boats, not Old Chicago. If any League system dares ignore or disobey them, they won't after up one or two battle squadrons show up and executes the Byng Maneuver, blowing the local flagship up. They do not need to expend more than 300 missiles per target to guarantee a kill and can probably use considerably fewer. After all, they have a whole bunch of captured SLN SDs to use as target practice, under the Crusher's best programmers, to refine their missile algorithms. Competition of the week: Kill a SD using the fewest missiles. Previous competition: Develop the best anti-missile doctrines possible for the Scientists.

Even if some locations are so stubborn they need 10,000 missiles of persuasion, there won't be anywhere near a thousand of them. They also don't need to destroy infrastructure, but if they did, there are ways other than using missiles. Wedge sweeping, for instance, which even a freighter can perform.

Manticoran monster trucks. ;)
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by namelessfly   » Thu May 15, 2014 7:47 pm

namelessfly

Replying to Lyonheart's 3:02 pm post. The nesting and snipping are not working for me today.

Where do you get the idea that Manticore and Grayson are building 10,000 pods per month?

Back in OBS HH herself commented on how expensive missiles were at about $1 million or 20 years salary each. Weber has commented on the forum that missile load out for an SD(P) cost about as much as the ship. At $10 billion per SD(P), this makes sense. Compare to a current aircraft carrier whose air wing cost as much as the carrier and a full load of AAM, ASMs ext cost as much as the aircraft. The same is true for an Ohio class ballistic missile sub.

At the peak of the python lump, Manticore was building the equivalent of about 1/2 an SD(P) per day. This is $5 billion per day expenditure or $1.7 Trillion per year. If they are spending as much money on missile production, that is arguably 500 pods with missiles per day or about 180,000 per year. At $10 million per pod this works out to about $1.8 Trillion per year. Let us not forget construction cost and ammo for light combatants at may be another $trillion per year.

When can quibble about details, but the point is that Manticore can not suffer the missile expenditures and ship losses of First BoM, then get reamed in OB, then expend probably 1/4
million missiles to ream Adm Filarta and still have vast stockpiles of missiles. Remember how Adm Henke had her Apollo pods recalled after OB? Remember Adm Henke and the Cabptains implementing Case Lacoon II worrying about missile expenditures and Mk-23s much less Apollo being less plentiful than Mk-16s which they could not afford to waste either.

Also consider that after the First BoM, there must have been something like one million expended missile pods floating around. In HAE, Weber describes retrieving and reloading missile pods. No doubt the RMN retrieved iits own missile pods and may be Haven's. Honor told Adm Filarta that she had shit loads of missile pods. She did not tell him that all or even most of the pods were loaded. May be they were empty pods?

My point her is that in spite of our number crunching, the RMN and GSN characters obviously worry about ammo supplies. Since their opinions are informed by MWW, I will defer to their opinion.

The Battle of Saltash probably gave the RMN more confidence in it's ability to destroy the SLN with it's limited ammo. However; the RMN and GSN not to mention RHN have no combat experience against the Malign. They will make worse case assumptions about how many ships and missiles they hold in reserve to guard their home systems.

My prediction is that Tenth Fleet augmented by an expeditionary force of BC(P)s from Eighth Fleet is all that the GA will commit to offensive operations against the SL. They will destroy SLN fleet bases and SLN ships wherever they find them. They will nuke operational shipyards capable of building warships. They will not be trashing anyone else anytime soon.
Post by namelessfly   » Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 pm

namelessfly

Here is an interesting thought.

SLN Admirals are aware of Bing's reaming at New Tuscany.

They are aware of Adm Crandal's reaming at Spindle.

Will word get around of Adm Fillarta's defeat at the Second BoM or will the SLN conceal it as the Japanese concealed their defeat at Midway?

If not, will we see SLN admirals continue to fight If they are encouraged by the deployment of marginally effective weapons and technology?

If so, this could be as bloody as WW-2.

kzt wrote:It's really from a book on the battle of Midway, and he's talking about the IJN, but the SLN is what I thought of.

"Cohen and Gooch propose that all military failures fall into three basic categories: failure to learn from the past, failure to anticipate what the future may bring, and failure to adapt to the immediate circumstances on the battlefield. They further note that when one of these three basic failures occurs in isolation (known as a simple failure), the results, while unpleasant, can often also be overcome. Aggregate failures occur when two of the basic failure types, usually learning and anticipation, take place simultaneously, and these are more difficult to surmount. Finally, at the apex of failure stand those rare events when all three basic failures occur simultaneously-an event known as catastrophic failure. In such an occurrence, the result is usually a disaster of such scope that recovery is impossible."
Post by SWM   » Thu May 15, 2014 10:55 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:Replying to Lyonheart's 3:02 pm post. The nesting and snipping are not working for me today.

Where do you get the idea that Manticore and Grayson are building 10,000 pods per month?

Back in OBS HH herself commented on how expensive missiles were at about $1 million or 20 years salary each. Weber has commented on the forum that missile load out for an SD(P) cost about as much as the ship. At $10 billion per SD(P), this makes sense. Compare to a current aircraft carrier whose air wing cost as much as the carrier and a full load of AAM, ASMs ext cost as much as the aircraft. The same is true for an Ohio class ballistic missile sub.

Remember, the price of a SDM missile in OBS is more than the price of an MDM twenty years later. (See: http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... gton/277/1) How much more, we don't know, but we can't rely on OBS missile prices.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri May 16, 2014 5:07 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:Will word get around of Adm Fillarta's defeat at the Second BoM or will the SLN conceal it as the Japanese concealed their defeat at Midway?

IIRC, Manticore dumped a full account into the News Nets at the same time they notified the Mandarins. Tough to cover-up something that is already in the news.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Fri May 16, 2014 5:29 am

munroburton
Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi MunroBurton,

Excellent post!

Thanks, I enjoyed it very much and regret not saying so last night, while I look forward to further great posts.

Given the SL is some 300-400 LY in diameter [~23.83 M cubic LY's], 100 SLN bases implies a radius of less than 40 LY for each, do you think that is a high figure, or might there be ~50 bases with another 50 smaller 'stations' mainly for the FF?

L

Thanks.

I had another thought - Manty EW systems were good enough to dupe the PN quite a few times, even passing captured SDs off as BCs. Other times decoy drones simply pretended to be extra SDs.

Probably it was too late for Zavala to order his EW to work. I don't think he was expecting to have to fight four BCs until his recon platforms found them.

Return to Honorverse