Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests

Honorverse Top Ten Tacticians, Strategists

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Top Ten Tacticians, Strategists
Post by tlb   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:40 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:If "only the strong survive" then, unlike the Scrags, what about "the strong and truly highly intelligent?"

Seems to me that the "Ukrainian super soldier" was given an intelligence boost, but as pointed out in the books a boost in intelligence often results in a boost in aggression. The problem with the "Scrags" is not that they were unintelligent, but that they were convinced of their superiority and so "too cool for school". Even otherwise intelligent people can be victims of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Those that emigrate to Torch will be forced to learn some humility and will end up applying their advantages.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:If "only the strong survive" then, unlike the Scrags, what about "the strong and truly highly intelligent?"

Seems to me that the "Ukrainian super soldier" was given an intelligence boost, but as pointed out in the books a boost in intelligence often results in a boost in aggression. The problem with the "Scrags" is not that they were unintelligent, but that they were convinced of their superiority and so "too cool for school". Even otherwise intelligent people can be victims of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Those that emigrate to Torch will be forced to learn some humility and will end up applying their advantages.

Can you put your finger on the appropriate textev? I think I accurately recall them portrayed - at the very least - as not being the sharpest styli in the box.

At any rate they do NOT approach being anywhere near "highly intelligent" like Alphas are.

Aside:
Every time I hear that "highly intelligent" people have "a boost in aggression" I think of Honor Harrington and my niece. Neither of which suffer fools. I think that a lot of highly intelligent people simply lack patience; they don't understand your disconnect.

When playing against my niece in chess, I oftentimes get, "Oh please, are you going to use THAT opening, again?"

But THAT opening is my favorite and strongest, against any other opponent. It is nothing but swiss cheese when facing her. But her attitude gets on my nerves sometimes. The little snot!

I think Sonja Hemphill suffers from the same defect. Beth definitely does too.

At any rate, I think your point about humility is spot on. I think the MA probably could apply a modification toward more humility, but I tend to think they would think that humility would be a liability.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:And, let's be honest, when he escaped he didn't have a choice but to gain some sort of power so that he could continue breathing. Would he have been able to stay alive without the Ballroom?

ThinksMarkedly wrote:There are many places where an escaped slave can find exile and opportunity. Take the example of Hugh Arai, who became an operative in Beowulf's Biological Survey Corps. Paulo d'Arezzo's family found a place to live in Manticore; Ginny Usher in Haven, probably during the People's Republic days.

Heck, it's possible most of the RF member worlds would have welcomed escaped slaves.

cthia wrote:Caveat: The important distinction is that Jeremy X is at the very top of the CAASAP list.

However he was only at the top of the Colin Detweiler hit list, because he was head of the Audubon Ballroom; if he had gone a different route then he would not have been of interest to the Malign.

Perhaps, but I really don't think his placement on the list would have changed. Do consider that even before he joined the Ballroom he was already quite vocal against the MA.

I think he is the sole escaped slave who didn't want to fly under the radar. Any other escaped slave didn't want to make any ripples, much less make any waves. Elaine Kormandorski certainly didn't dare make a ripple. She changed her identity so much she isn't sure what her original name is. LOL

Ok, ok, there are extenuating circumstances in her case. But still.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Seems to me that the "Ukrainian super soldier" was given an intelligence boost, but as pointed out in the books a boost in intelligence often results in a boost in aggression. The problem with the "Scrags" is not that they were unintelligent, but that they were convinced of their superiority and so "too cool for school". Even otherwise intelligent people can be victims of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Those that emigrate to Torch will be forced to learn some humility and will end up applying their advantages.

cthia wrote:Can you put your finger on the appropriate textev? I think I accurately recall them portrayed - at the very least - as not being the sharpest styli in the box.

At any rate they do NOT approach being anywhere near "highly intelligent" like Alphas are.

Aside:
Every time I hear that "highly intelligent" people have "a boost in aggression" I think of Honor Harrington and my niece. Neither of which suffer fools. I think that a lot of highly intelligent people simply lack patience; they don't understand your disconnect.

When playing against my niece in chess, I oftentimes get, "Oh please, are you going to use THAT opening, again?"

But THAT opening is my favorite and strongest, against any other opponent. It is nothing but swiss cheese when facing her. But her attitude gets on my nerves sometimes. The little snot!

I think Sonja Hemphill suffers from the same defect. Beth definitely does too.

At any rate, I think your point about humility is spot on. I think the MA probably could apply a modification toward more humility, but I tend to think they would think that humility would be a liability.

From chapter 17 of Ashes of Victory:
"You and your father are direct descendants of the Meyerdahl Beta mod. I won't go into all the specifics, which wouldn't mean a great deal to you, anyway, but most of what it gave you is exactly what all the Meyerdahl recipients got: more efficient muscles, enhanced reaction speed, stronger bones, tougher cardiovascular and respiratory systems, and so on. But the Meyerdahl Betas also got what they used to call an 'IQ enhancer.' We've learned enough more about human intelligence since then that reputable geneticists refuse to tinker with it except under extraordinary conditions. For the most part, you can only enhance one aspect of the entire complex of attributes we think of as 'intelligence' at the expense of other aspects. That isn't an absolute, but it works as a rule of thumb, and it's one reason I never mentioned my research to you or your dad. There was no reason to—and the . . . less successful efforts at engineered intelligence were one reason Old Earth's Final War was as bad as it was. And one reason humanity in general turned so strongly against the entire concept of engineering human genes at all."
"I take it," Honor said very carefully, "that your research didn't indicate that we were one of those 'less successful efforts'?"
"Oh, heavens, no! In fact, the Meyerdahl Betas and the Wintons have quite a lot in common. I don't have as complete a degree of access to the Winton records, of course, but even from the incomplete data in the public files, it's obvious that whoever designed the Winton modification for Roger Winton's parents was remarkably successful. As was the team that put together the Meyerdahl Beta package. I'd like to say they succeeded because they were so good at their jobs, but I rather doubt that was the case, particularly in light of their relatively primitive understanding of just what they were tinkering with. I think that, as we geneticists like to put it when discussing the vast evolutionary sweep of upward human development, they lucked out.
"The really unsuccessful efforts, on the other hand, tended to show very high levels of aggressiveness, like the 'super soldiers' on Old Earth, and weed themselves out of the genotype. As a matter of fact, that aggressiveness was the most common nasty side effect of intelligence modification projects. Some of the recipients verged uncomfortably closely on sociopathic personalities, without the sort of moral governors people need in a healthy society. And when you coupled that with an awareness that they were designed to be (and usually were) quite a lot 'smarter,' at least in certain, specific ways, than the normals around them, they started acting like a pride of hexapumas quarreling over who should boss all those inferior normals about until they got around to picking out lunch."

Perhaps your thinking came from this quote (or another like it) from the short sory "From the Highlands":
"Good for you, lad," chuckled Usher. "Okay, Victor. Forget everything you may have heard. The fundamental thing you've got to understand about the Scrags is that they're a bunch of clowns." He waved a hand. "Oh, yeah, sure. Murderous clowns. Perfect physical specimens, bred and trained to be supreme warriors. Eat nails, can walk through walls, blah blah blah. The problem is, the morons believe it too. Which means they're as careless as five year olds, and never think to plan for the inevitable screw-ups. Which there always are, in any plan—much less one as elaborate as this scheme of Durkheim's. So they're going to foul up, somewhere along the line, and Durkheim's going to be scrambling to patch the holes. The problem is, since he organized this entire thing outside of SS channels, he doesn't have a back-up team in place and ready to go. He'll have to jury-rig one. Which is something you never want to do in a situation as"—another dry chuckle—"as 'fraught with danger,' as they say, as this one."

Which is not really saying the they are unintelligent, only careless because of their conceited belief in their own superiority.
Post by tlb   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:21 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Perhaps, but I really don't think his placement on the list would have changed. Do consider that even before he joined the Ballroom he was already quite vocal against the MA.

Can you supply text for that? Note that it would have to show that he was on the list prior to joining the Ballroom, because what you describe is exactly why he would join the Ballroom and then gain entry to the list.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:57 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I think he is the sole escaped slave who didn't want to fly under the radar. Any other escaped slave didn't want to make any ripples, much less make any waves. Elaine Kormandorski certainly didn't dare make a ripple. She changed her identity so much she isn't sure what her original name is. LOL

No, he wasn't. Quite a few other leaders in the Audubon were known, like Saburo X.

It's a good question whether Jeremy was the first and thus got emulated by all the others, or whether he followed the example of someone else. I don't think that was said.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:59 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:At any rate they do NOT approach being anywhere near "highly intelligent" like Alphas are.

Exhibit A for "intelligence too often correlates with arrogance."

The passage from AoV almost perfectly describes them:
"Some of the recipients verged uncomfortably closely on sociopathic personalities, without the sort of moral governors people need in a healthy society. And when you coupled that with an awareness that they were designed to be (and usually were) quite a lot 'smarter,' at least in certain, specific ways, than the normals around them, they started acting like a pride of hexapumas quarreling over who should boss all those inferior normals about until they got around to picking out lunch."
Post by tlb   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:58 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I think he is the sole escaped slave who didn't want to fly under the radar. Any other escaped slave didn't want to make any ripples, much less make any waves. Elaine Kormandorski certainly didn't dare make a ripple. She changed her identity so much she isn't sure what her original name is. LOL

ThinksMarkedly wrote:No, he wasn't. Quite a few other leaders in the Audubon were known, like Saburo X.

It's a good question whether Jeremy was the first and thus got emulated by all the others, or whether he followed the example of someone else. I don't think that was said.

Also note that Elaine Kormandorski was hiding from the Audubon Ballroom, not from any Mesan kill list.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

No, he wasn't. Quite a few other leaders in the Audubon were known, like Saburo X.

I never questioned whether Jeremy is the first. I'm not saying I am right, but somehow storyline made me sure of it. And as a result his example paved the way for others. It gave them courage. A lot of loyalty is paid to the Alignment, not just because of the nanites, but because of fear.

Jeremy is to the MA as Beowulf is to the SL. Literally the straw that broke the camel's back. Or, the first crack in the dam.

That is why he is at the top of the list. In my opinion. And of course, because he is dangerous!

Post by tlb   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:56 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Perhaps, but I really don't think his placement on the list would have changed. Do consider that even before he joined the Ballroom he was already quite vocal against the MA.

I think he is the sole escaped slave who didn't want to fly under the radar. Any other escaped slave didn't want to make any ripples, much less make any waves. Elaine Kormandorski certainly didn't dare make a ripple. She changed her identity so much she isn't sure what her original name is. LOL

ThinksMarkedly wrote:No, he wasn't. Quite a few other leaders in the Audubon were known, like Saburo X.

cthia wrote:I never questioned whether Jeremy is the first. I'm not saying I am right, but somehow storyline made me sure of it. And as a result his example paved the way for others. It gave them courage. A lot of loyalty is paid to the Alignment, not just because of the nanites, but because of fear.

Jeremy is to the MA as Beowulf is to the SL. Literally the straw that broke the camel's back. Or, the first crack in the dam.

That is why he is at the top of the list. In my opinion. And of course, because he is dangerous!

I do not believe that he was the "sole escaped slave who didn't want to fly under the radar", because the Ballroom was already in existence when he escaped. Also it is clear that he was on the Mesan kill list because of the Ballroom as there was almost no time between his escape and his joining the organization: in the fourth day of "From the Highlands":
And, within limits, it worked—usually. But not always, by any means. Certainly not in Jeremy's case. Within less than a week after his sale, he had made his escape. Eventually, he arrived on Terra, through one of the routes maintained by the Anti-Slavery League. Within a day of his arrival, he had joined the Audubon Ballroom, probably the most radical and certainly the most violence-prone group within the general umbrella of the anti-slavery movement. Then, following the custom of that underground movement—whose membership was exclusively restricted to ex-slaves—had renamed himself Jeremy X. Within a short time, he had risen to leadership in the Ballroom. Today, he was considered one of the most dangerous terrorists in the galaxy. Or, to many—herself included, when all was said and done, despite her disapproval of his tactics—one of its greatest freedom fighters.

Return to Honorverse