Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests

Honorverse Jeopardy

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse Jeopardy
Post by cthia   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Category: Likes of Top Brass
Benjamin's taste in hobbies.

Yow wrote:
What is Floriculture?

Oooh, Yow. Alek Trebek's judges is giving you a chance to clean it up. Be more specific.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Yow   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Benjamin's taste in hobbies.

Yow wrote:What is Floriculture?

cthia wrote:Oooh, Yow. Alek Trebek's judges is giving you a chance to clean it up. Be more specific.

:roll: what is "flower arrangement"?

Admiral Yanakov (like someone else we know and like ;) ) obviously doesn't understand the true intellect and hard science of floriculture.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:53 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

Yow wrote:

cthia wrote:Oooh, Yow. Alek Trebek's judges is giving you a chance to clean it up. Be more specific.

Admiral Yanakov (like someone else we know and like ;) ) obviously doesn't understand the true intellect and hard science of floriculture.

If the answer was "This is what Admiral Yanakov referred to his Protector's hobby as." Than "What is flower arrangement?" would be the correct question.

However, you can't really call his hobby "flower arranging" unless you are deliberately trying to down play or dismiss it, like Admiral Yanakov was. The Protector was growing exotic and off planet flowers, and was even breading new strains. Benjaman's taste in hobbies was definitely floriculture.

To quote the fount of all knowledge: "Floriculture, or flower farming, is a discipline of horticulture concerned with the cultivation of flowering and ornamental plants for gardens and for floristry, comprising the floral industry. The development, via plant breeding, of new varieties is a major occupation of floriculturists."
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:50 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Yow wrote:

What is floriculture and flower arrangement.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:What is floriculture and flower arrangement.

I have to disagree. The only person who called it flower arrangement was someone who was denigrating the hobby.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:52 am

crewdude48
Commodore

SWM wrote:

I have to disagree. The only person who called it flower arrangement was someone who was denigrating the hobby.

You know, after thinking about it for a couple days, I seem to remember a scene where he is actually arranging cut flowers. I just can't remember where, and my computer is at the doctor right now, so I can't do a search.
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:

No, actually the correct answer is both. You misunderstand. It is referring to two distinct talents. Floriculture has nothing to do with flower arrangement. Floriculture is the cultivation of flowers. However, Benjamin likes flower arrangement as well. It's an art unto itself. The scene is out of "Flag In Exile." Matthews is approaching Benjamin to ask permission to talk to Honor and offer her an entire battle squadron. I love that scene. Honor thought she was simply being offered command of a Superdreadnaught. I'll locate and post that scene in the one-liners. It's...mushy.

He'd jumped from commodore to commander-in-chief of the Grayson Space Navy less than four T-years ago, and like Bernard Yanakov, the man he'd succeeded, he was baffled by his Protector's taste in hobbies. Floriculture and flower arrangement were high art forms on Grayson, but they were traditionally female ones. Matthews willingly admitted that his ruler produced breathtaking arrangements, yet it still seemed an . . . odd avocation for a head of state. Bernard Yanakov, however, had been Benjamin Mayhew's older cousin, as well as his senior admiral, which had given him certain advantages Matthews lacked. He'd known the Protector literally since birth and twitted him about his hobby for years; Matthews couldn't do that—which hadn't kept Benjamin from guessing how he felt.

Post by SWM   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:59 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

I concede. :) Had to look it up, but you're right, floriculture does not include flower arranging (which really should be called floristry).
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Category: You got punked.
For 1000 Bingo Bucks.

The biggest prank/punked in the Honorverse.

Post by Hutch   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Category: You got punked.
For 1000 Bingo Bucks.

The biggest prank/punked in the Honorverse.

Hmmmm, That could be several things, depending how you define prank and biggest, but I'd have to guess....

What is Admiral Yu's arrival at Marsh in War of Honor?

Because nothing says "punked in a big way" like a fleet of Superdreadnaughts....

Have to think of a couple of my own now....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse