Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

10th Fleet numbers?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: 10th Fleet numbers?
Post by Randomiser   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

munroburton wrote:
saber964 wrote:Ok ADM Gold Peak invaded Mesa with 28 ships of the wall sized ships.

Unfortunately for our desires of accuracy, from a Solarian or Mesan viewpoint, the Nike-class may be perceived as a battleship and thus considered a ship of the wall by those who don't know better, just as they regard the Roland as a light cruiser rather than a destroyer.

Pardon? No one is talking about a Sollie / Mesan estimate of how many ships Gold Peak has.
Post by munroburton   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:35 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
munroburton wrote:
Unfortunately for our desires of accuracy, from a Solarian or Mesan viewpoint, the Nike-class may be perceived as a battleship and thus considered a ship of the wall by those who don't know better, just as they regard the Roland as a light cruiser rather than a destroyer.

Pardon? No one is talking about a Sollie / Mesan estimate of how many ships Gold Peak has.

If the source of "28 of the wall" is from CoG. I can't recall the specific numbers but the only mention of them was from the Mesan side of the fence and was rather vague anyway.
Post by saber964   » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:08 pm

saber964
Admiral

munroburton" [quote="Randomiser wrote:
munroburton wrote:

If the source of "28 of the wall" is from CoG. I can't recall the specific numbers but the only mention of them was from the Mesan side of the fence and was rather vague anyway.[/quote]

My numbers come from from ToF when the 10th fleet hit Meyers and Gold Peak states she was only leaving a small security force of 3-4 LACRons and probably a Marine Battalions or two as a supplemental garrison
Post by Whitecold   » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 am

Whitecold
Commander

saber964 wrote:My numbers come from from ToF when the 10th fleet hit Meyers and Gold Peak states she was only leaving a small security force of 3-4 LACRons and probably a Marine Battalions or two as a supplemental garrison

The number comes from FF sensors, so those 28 wallers include the LAC carriers.
Post by saber964   » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:51 pm

saber964
Admiral

Whitecold wrote:
saber964 wrote:My numbers come from from ToF when the 10th fleet hit Meyers and Gold Peak states she was only leaving a small security force of 3-4 LACRons and probably a Marine Battalions or two as a supplemental garrison

Yep, I figure Gold Peak took the bulk of her heavy forces.
Post by fester   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:46 am

fester
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:
Whitecold wrote:My numbers come from from ToF when the 10th fleet hit Meyers and Gold Peak states she was only leaving a small security force of 3-4 LACRons and probably a Marine Battalions or two as a supplemental garrison

Yep, I figure Gold Peak took the bulk of her heavy forces.[/quote]
I'm figuring she took all of her podnoughts plus a squadron of CLACs to Mesa. That works out numerically (20 SDP + 8 CLAC) plus it matches with the force requirements of her other tasks (supporting more surprise Mobius type rebellions, and seizing the rest of the Madras sector)
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Even more unfortunately, DW cares little for numerical
accuracy *or* consistency. To the extent that he does
care, he seems to be against both of them.
Remember when 6 SDPs entered a paragraph,
and all 5 of them left it?
When we want consistent numbers,
we must go to Multiverse - or Euclid.

HTM

munroburton wrote:
Post by saber964   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 pm

saber964
Admiral

munroburton wrote:
saber964 wrote:Ok ADM Gold Peak invaded Mesa with 28 ships of the wall sized ships.

No the SLN still classifies its ships by tonnage not mission like the RMN. IIRC the Nike class at 2.5m tons is in the low range for Battleships. Also look at the OOB in HoS IIRC the last generation (eg Majestic and Bellerophon) of DN's were as big or bigger than some of the early SD's.
Post by TheMonster   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:No the SLN still classifies its ships by tonnage not mission like the RMN. IIRC the Nike class at 2.5m tons is in the low range for Battleships. Also look at the OOB in HoS IIRC the last generation (eg Majestic and Bellerophon) of DN's were as big or bigger than some of the early SD's.
There isn't anything else by which you can classify a hyper footprint. After that, you can get a reading on what accel they're pulling. Based on those two facts, one may quickly determine that they belong to one of two navies: RMN and GSN/PO. At that point, SLN personnel (who might not even figure that much out) might still think a Nike is a BB, but there is no reason to believe the MSN would be that stupid. They probably have a very accurate appreciation of how honking huge Manty/Grayson ships have become.

One thing we don't know from CoG is whether Gold Peak sent part of her force to secure (or at least cut off access to) the wormhole junction at the same time she dropped in on Mesa. We also don't know whether she kept some smaller combatants in hyper ready for a Paul Revere alert to tell them where to catch anyone trying to get out of the system, but given how that tactic was used at Meyers, there's every reason to believe it was employed here. So the hyper footprint under discussion at the end of CoG probably represents far less than the total force taken to Mesa.
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:25 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Yes, I was assuming the CoG number (12) was low and included some CLACs, so I was wondering what else she had to do clever things with.

I'm also assuming the Mesan General who wants to pull her troops out is acting on her own initiative, it being far too soon after Gold Peak's alpha translation for the General Board to have ordered anything so sensible. Will be interesting so see the Mesan Navy's stance and how the Board reacts to said Peace Force General.

Return to Honorverse