Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drothgery, LewK, penny and 60 guests

Mending fences

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Mending fences
Post by Positroll   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:49 am

Positroll
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

So, Erewhon seems to want to mend fences with the Manties. All well and good - except that I wonder whether using Imbesi for that purpose is a good idea.
After all, the Manties still probably don't know that Imbesi was informed of the pending attack on Princess Ruth beforehand - at a time when Erewhon still was formally allied to Manticore. A deal's a deal and all that ... :x

So what happens when they kiss and make up, and then a treecat or HH discover that oops, Imbesi was happy to let the niece of Elisabeth get shot, raped or abducted ... ? :shock:

After all, Victor Cachat was a formal enemy of the SKM at the time, so he can be "pardoned" for not caring about Manticoran royalty, but what Imbesi did to his still - allies was beyond the pale - especialy since Elisabeth was opposed to High Ridges stupid treatment of Erewhon ...
Re: Mending fences
Post by Positroll   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 am

Positroll
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

OTOH, it's likely they already know about Imbesi ...

Princess Ruth's face went from anger to keen interest in a split second. "A plan?" she repeated in an entirely different tone. "Hmph." She thought again for a moment, then nodded sharply. "So you're working with Erewhon, are you? Well, of course. You'd have to be to be standing around hip-deep in bodies without being arrested. So that means . . ." She grimaced. "If you're talking about hurting Manpower, then you've got to be thinking about Congo. I can see a couple of angles, I think. But if you want my opinion—
Which she proceeded to give, at some length, despite knowing virtually nothing about the situation. The worst of it, from Victor's point of view, was how uncannily close she often came and how genuinely expert her opinion often was. Anton Zilwicki's influence and training there, Victor was sure of it.
Great. A Manticoran enemy princess with aspirations "
Post by KNick   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:52 pm

KNick
Admiral

Positroll wrote:OTOH, it's likely they already know about Imbesi ...

Princess Ruth's face went from anger to keen interest in a split second. "A plan?" she repeated in an entirely different tone. "Hmph." She thought again for a moment, then nodded sharply. "So you're working with Erewhon, are you? Well, of course. You'd have to be to be standing around hip-deep in bodies without being arrested. So that means . . ." She grimaced. "If you're talking about hurting Manpower, then you've got to be thinking about Congo. I can see a couple of angles, I think. But if you want my opinion—
Which she proceeded to give, at some length, despite knowing virtually nothing about the situation. The worst of it, from Victor's point of view, was how uncannily close she often came and how genuinely expert her opinion often was. Anton Zilwicki's influence and training there, Victor was sure of it.
Great. A Manticoran enemy princess with aspirations "

I think the fence mending actually started before the actual signing of the treaty with Haven. Remember the "sword" given to Prince Michael by the Erewhonese? He wore it at Queen Berry's coronation ceremony to let them know he understood what was happening. Especially that it was a direct statement to the Winton dynasty. By that time he had already heard the entire story from several different sources. As smart as he is, he would have figured pretty much everything by then.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Northstar   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Positroll wrote:So, Erewhon seems to want to mend fences with the Manties. All well and good - except that I wonder whether using Imbesi for that purpose is a good idea.
After all, the Manties still probably don't know that Imbesi was informed of the pending attack on Princess Ruth beforehand - at a time when Erewhon still was formally allied to Manticore. A deal's a deal and all that ... :x

So what happens when they kiss and make up, and then a treecat or HH discover that oops, Imbesi was happy to let the niece of Elisabeth get shot, raped or abducted ... ? :shock:

After all, Victor Cachat was a formal enemy of the SKM at the time, so he can be "pardoned" for not caring about Manticoran royalty, but what Imbesi did to his still - allies was beyond the pale - especially since Elisabeth was opposed to High Ridges stupid treatment of Erewhon ...

I suspect pragmatic diplomatic considerations are going to trump any personal considerations, though they will not give Elizabeth, or any other Manticoran, amnesia about this and other Erewonese ...urm... situational ethics lapses. Liz & Co have a bead on those folks just fine. But reality then, as in here and now, is nations cannot afford to get too Victorian vapors about this stuff. That is just diplomatic reality.
Post by kzt   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:35 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Northstar wrote:I suspect pragmatic diplomatic considerations are going to trump any personal considerations, though they will not give Elizabeth, or any other Manticoran, amnesia about this and other Erewonese ...urm... situational ethics lapses. Liz & Co have a bead on those folks just fine. But reality then, as in here and now, is nations cannot afford to get too Victorian vapors about this stuff. That is just diplomatic reality.

War is diplomacy via other means. And obliterating the fleet and orbital infrastructure of people who do this to you tends to be an effective way to convince the next person who is considering selling out to think long and hard about it.
Post by Reader Bob   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Reader Bob
Lieutenant Commander

The Empress has excellent advisors who all put aside their personal feelings and face realpolitic realities. The Erewhonese will be welcomed back into the fold with a private talk with one or two of the triumpherate to let them know that, while nothing will be said publically, they will be watched a bit more closely than they had been. Well, they won't actually be told that but they will get the message no matter how veiled it is given.
Post by Northstar   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:56 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:The Empress has excellent advisers who all put aside their personal feelings and face realpolitik realities. The Erewhonese will be welcomed back into the fold with a private talk with one or two of the triumvirate to let them know that, while nothing will be said publicly, they will be watched a bit more closely than they had been. Well, they won't actually be told that but they will get the message no matter how veiled it is given.

I suspect 'a bit more closely' is a vast understatement, but everyone will do the pretty in public because it is just necessary. And there is the Smoking Frog connection to consider in all this as well. As satisfying as it might be to do trash on the suckers, ala kzt's von Clausewitz observational wishful thinking... ain't gonna happen. On the other hand there is the phrase give them enough rope to hang themselves. If the Erewonese do 'just business' on the Manties again, even a little bit... and I suspect that will be made clear in beautifully correct diplomatic language.
Post by TheMonster   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:09 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Reader Bob wrote:The Erewhonese will be welcomed back into the fold with a private talk with one or two of the triumpherate to let them know that, while nothing will be said publically, they will be watched a bit more closely than they had been. Well, they won't actually be told that but they will get the message no matter how veiled it is given.
They already got that message, as well as the one conveyed by Prince Michael that the temporary government headed by High Ridge is not the House of Winton.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:10 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Elizabeth has been taking more than a pound of flesh out of them.You will recall that in the books, since Erewhon was "only" in a DEFENSIVE treaty with Haven, they were not reqired to go to way with Manticore, so they "just" stayed out of the second part of the war.
What happened at the same time is that while Erewhon flagged ships were allowed to continue using the Junction their rates went through the roof. Massive rate increased and I would suspect, though I don't remember at this point, that there was all sorts of other costs and conditions. Taking away Most Favored status isn't even close. Erewhon had their cost of doing business rise in a very pointed and massive way. That the understand quite well
Post by kzt   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:04 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Elizabeth has been taking more than a pound of flesh out of them.You will recall that in the books, since Erewhon was "only" in a DEFENSIVE treaty with Haven, they were not reqired to go to way with Manticore, so they "just" stayed out of the second part of the war.
What happened at the same time is that while Erewhon flagged ships were allowed to continue using the Junction their rates went through the roof. Massive rate increased and I would suspect, though I don't remember at this point, that there was all sorts of other costs and conditions. Taking away Most Favored status isn't even close. Erewhon had their cost of doing business rise in a very pointed and massive way. That the understand quite well

They cost Manticore several trillion in costs and over a million dead.

Return to Honorverse