Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 159 guests

Manticore's National Anthem

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Manticore's National Anthem
Post by Hutch   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
SWM wrote:I'll ask my friends in the filking community whether someone has already written one. There are several Honorverse filks out there.

The only Honorverse filks I've ever heard of are "Fair Was the Blossom", "Riding a Tiger", and "No Quarter", but it would be really cool if someone had written one!!

I know Honor gets a cameo in the filk "Ladies Night in Argo" (If you do not know what "Banned From Argo" is, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_from_Argo and for the original lyrics, here: http://www.ovff.org/pegasus/songs/banned-from-argo.html)

Anyway, the original has spawned numerous offshoots, including the aforementioned "Ladies Night in Argo", which begins with this verse:

Our Captain went a-walking with a lady from Grayson,
He really should know better than to mess with Harrington,
He wouldn't take her gentle "no", so she pulled a little coup,
And left him face down in the street with a dozen redshirts too.

I've often considered trying to write a "Honorverse in Argo" offshoot, but have no particular talent for verse (and what rhymes well with "Oops" anyway?). Maybe someday.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Hutch   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

And the Andies are the easiest to figure, given their history...

"Andermanni uber alles..." ;) 8-)
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by TheMonster   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:17 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Hutch wrote:And the Andies are the easiest to figure, given their history...

I realize that's a joke, but it's based on a horrible misunderstanding of the Deutschlandlied's opening line. To many, it's "Germany over France, Poland, the Netherlands, etc.", but that's not what it was saying at all, at least to the people who wrote and originally adopted it.

It was written to unify the various kingdoms, principalities, duchies, etc. (collectively "die Kleinstaaterei", which the Vormärz revolutionaries considered reactionary) into a single, more liberal, German nation. "Deutschland über alles" meant saying "Ich bin deutscher" rather than "Ich bin preuße" or "Ich bin bayerischer". But since Gustav I thought he was Friedrich der Große reincarnated, he might have thought himself more Prussian than German.

--
This is where a native German speaker can correct my spelling/declension/capitalization (I'm particularly fuzzy on whether words like "deutscher" are considered nouns, and capitalized, or adjectives left in lower case).
Post by pokermind   » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

TheMonster wrote:
Hutch wrote:And the Andies are the easiest to figure, given their history...

I realize that's a joke, but it's based on a horrible misunderstanding of the Deutschlandlied's opening line. To many, it's "Germany over France, Poland, the Netherlands, etc.", but that's not what it was saying at all, at least to the people who wrote and originally adopted it.

It was written to unify the various kingdoms, principalities, duchies, etc. (collectively "die Kleinstaaterei", which the Vormärz revolutionaries considered reactionary) into a single, more liberal, German nation. "Deutschland über alles" meant saying "Ich bin deutscher" rather than "Ich bin preuße" or "Ich bin bayerischer". But since Gustav I thought he was Friedrich der Große reincarnated, he might have thought himself more Prussian than German.

--
This is where a native German speaker can correct my spelling/declension/capitalization (I'm particularly fuzzy on whether words like "deutscher" are considered nouns, and capitalized, or adjectives left in lower case).

Ugh how did Gustav I

Gustav I, born Gustav Eriksson of the Vasa noble family and later known as Gustav Vasa (12 May 1496[1] – 29 September 1560), was King of Sweden from 1523 until his death, previously self-recognised Protector of the Realm (Rikshövitsman) from 1521,

think he was Friedrich der Große two hundred years before his birth?

Frederick II (German: Friedrich II.; 24 January 1712 – 17 August 1786) was King in Prussia (1740–1786) of the Hohenzollern dynasty.[1] He is best known for his military victories, his reorganization of Prussian armies, his innovative drills and tactics, and his final success against great odds in the Seven Years' War. He became known as Frederick the Great (Friedrich der Große) and was nicknamed Der Alte Fritz ("Old Fritz").

Poker :lol:
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by kiddmeier   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:12 am

kiddmeier
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

pokermind wrote:...
Ugh how did Gustav I

think he was Friedrich der Große two hundred years before his birth?

C'mon, Poker, srsly :roll: :oops:
We all know you love posting pretty pics, and we love you for them - even these are good on their own - but this is weak.

Gustav I Andermann. Any bells ringing? :geek:
Re: England's Or Finland's Would Work
Post by chrisd   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:42 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

HB of CJ wrote:Either England's or Finland's would work. HB of CJ (old coot)

Use the BRITISH (NOT solely English) one, please, especially if you include the Sixth Verse!
Post by chrisd   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:47 am

chrisd
Captain (Junior Grade)

pokermind wrote:Ugh how did Gustav I think he was Friedrich der Große two hundred years before his birth?

Refer to Zaphod Beeblebrox, son of Zaphod Beeblebrox ll:-

"It was all rather messy but basically there was an accident with a Contraceptive in a Time Machine".
I Meant British And Not English
Post by HB of CJ   » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:33 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Ah; the Three, (3) Kingdoms. Slip of my feeble mind's eye. Did it again. Sorry. HB of CJ (old coot) SW OR USA which is in NW USA. About 41N, 123W. Sometimes we Colonials do stuff like this, but we do not mean to.
Re: I Meant British And Not English
Post by TheMonster   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:22 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Ah; the Three, (3) Kingdoms. Slip of my feeble mind's eye. Did it again. Sorry. HB of CJ (old coot) SW OR USA which is in NW USA. About 41N, 123W. Sometimes we Colonials do stuff like this, but we do not mean to.
Actually, there is only one (United) Kingdom, not three separate kingdoms.

That's why it rankles some folks when they hear Elizabeth II described as the "Queen of England". Anne was the last "Queen of England" and the first "Queen of Great Britain" (comprising "England", which had already subsumed Wales, and Scotland). Later, the Kingdom of Ireland was united with Great Britain into "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland", which now has "Northern" inserted into its name with the secession of the Republic. Northern Ireland is not a Kingdom; it's a "province".

Talking about the "Queen of England" or the "English National Anthem" tends to make Irish, Scottish, Welsh (and perhaps Manx etc.) feel excluded. In the Honorverse, there may be a need to rename institutions such as the RMN and RMMC to use the word "Imperial" rather than "Royal", so as not to exclude Talbotters and Silesians (and based on the Pearls, can Matapanians be far behind?) We already have textev that the Loyalty Toast has been modified to say "Empress", so maybe it's just a matter of time, but there's also a lot of history for the "Royal" institutions that people wouldn't want to give up on.
The United Kingdom
Post by HB of CJ   » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:35 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Which is made up of the Three Kingdoms. Recently I had a very enjoyable discussion with a Welsh gentlemen who was just passing through our small Pacific Northwest USA mountain valley town and he tried to explain it all, using a picture of the British flag.

What was so enjoyable about our two hour lunch, (my $treat$) was that we were both speaking English, but we were having a hard time understanding each other. He was on holiday or vacation. After all, it has been about 231 years. HB of CJ (old coot) :) :)

The British National Anthem would work just fine.

Return to Honorverse