Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dauntless, penny, Theemile and 12 guests

Plot twists that WON'T happen

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Plot twists that WON'T happen
Post by John Prigent   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:53 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I feel truly sorry for those of you who have a reaction to coffee (('m allergic to both fish and fowl myself). But as a Brit I have to wonder whether the US version of coffee has any resemblance at all to real coffee. No, I won't tell you coffee I drink, it's too hard to find so I don't want competition for the supply, but I know exactly where and how it's grown. No it isn't Blue Mountain, a vastly over-rated imitation of real High Mountain coffee.
Cheers
John
Post by Fyrwulf   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:16 am

Fyrwulf
Lieutenant Commander

John Prigent wrote:I feel truly sorry for those of you who have a reaction to coffee (('m allergic to both fish and fowl myself). But as a Brit I have to wonder whether the US version of coffee has any resemblance at all to real coffee.

Define real coffee. Much like how the vast majority of people prefer American horse piss over a good craft brew, the majority of people haven't even had good coffee. A lot of people think they've had good coffee, and they might even have been right that it was before it was turned into Seattle roast.

No it isn't Blue Mountain, a vastly over-rated imitation of real High Mountain coffee.

Blue Mountain and High Mountain are grown on the same mountain range, it's just that the former is grown at higher elevations. I don't know what estate you got your Blue Mountain from, but three of the four can be hit or miss depending on the year and growing conditions. 'Tis why I stick to Mavis Bank and I always get it from a particular roaster.

High Mountain and Kona are on par with each other, IMO. And when I say Kona, I mean the primo stuff from the low volume farms that doesn't ever leave Hawaii unless you know who to get it from. Not in JBM's league, IMO, but everybody has their tastes.
===
Short of Evergreen explaining themselves directly to us on these boards, I no longer have any faith that they're committed to making a movie and related products that have any relevance to the Honorverse.
Post by Joat42   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:05 am

Joat42
Admiral

Fyrwulf wrote:You do when it's $50 a pound. And the best damn $50 I've ever spent. Normally I drink my coffee (Maxwell House) with plenty of flavored creamer, but with JBM you only need a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of regular cream. Seriously, there's no bitterness at all. It's like the difference between the crap tea you get in those bags and what you get at Teavana (I'm sure they're not the best tea you can get, but it's the only parallel I can draw).

If you get bitter coffee it's because it's badly brewed 99% of the times, the other 1% is because of bad beans or poorly roasted beans.

A good cup of coffee doesn't need either sugar or cream. It has a smooth taste with no hint of bitterness at all, it has a rich texture of flavors.

Btw, if you get the chance you really should try Kopi Luwak.

For more information about making a great cup of coffee, head over to the coffee faq.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Hutch   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:57 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:
I don't care where the coffee comes from. It's *all* evil. I once almost threw up when what I thought what was *toffee* ice cream turned out to be *coffee* ice cream.

I was a happy camper when I first read that Honor can't stand coffee, and find myself always nodding in fervent agreement everytime she rags on someone about it.

*furious nodding*

I can drink coffee only one way: drowned in so much chocolate, cream, sugar, and possibly hazelnut that it tastes more like hot chocolate than coffee. I can handle a Starbucks frappucino, but that's about as high as I can go, and these days I'm leery of even that.

(I once had to catch an early flight out of an airport 90 minutes' drive away. My flight was delayed, so I had to stay awake instead of being able to sleep on the plane. I ordered coffee with three shots of espresso. My body revolted in a way it has never done before or since and now I can't touch the stuff. I am never, ever doing that again...)

Another coffee hater here--never understood why people love it so.

Get my caffenine fix from a 16oz. Mountain dew every morning (which I understand some others may find revolting, but they're just peasants and not worthy of my concern.... 8-) :lol:
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 am

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

SWM wrote:Suddenly, Colin MacIntyre wakes up in the infirmary on the Dahak and realizes it was all a fever dream.

I'll do you one better...

Sean MacIntyre wakes up in his bed and realizes it was all a bad dream.
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Coffee side-trip.
.The Godzilla remake before the one being previewed now- Lizard created in the South Pacific because of French nuclear testing, crosses Central America (footprints you could play a basketball game in) and winds up in the Hudson River at New York (right, what a great place for mutant iguana to go make a nest…but I digress).
The French Secret Agents/Commando Team looking to “resolve” the problem keep trying to buy “French Roast” coffee in a running joke through the movie. They keep buying coffee and it isn’t “French Roast” to them. By the time they get killed off valiantly trying (to protect, I think the image and honor of France) by the iguanas I was wondering if the actual cause of deaths was ultimately due to the poor quality coffee.
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Fyrwulf wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:I don't care where the coffee comes from. It's *all* evil. I once almost threw up when what I thought what was *toffee* ice cream turned out to be *coffee* ice cream.

You do when it's $50 a pound.

No, I don't. Why would I, when I can't stand the stuff? It'd be stupid of me to spend $50/pound for something I refuse to consume.

As for the Starbucks side of the conversation, I have other reasons besides coffee to hate those leeches.

And I don't do energy drinks either.
Post by Fyrwulf   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Fyrwulf
Lieutenant Commander

Joat42 wrote:If you get bitter coffee it's because it's badly brewed 99% of the times, the other 1% is because of bad beans or poorly roasted beans.

Yes, I know this. Well, I would say bad roasting is the cause most of the time, at least in my experience. Maybe in combination with bad beans.

A good cup of coffee doesn't need either sugar or cream. It has a smooth taste with no hint of bitterness at all, it has a rich texture of flavors.

It's a personal preference on my part. I could quite happily drink JBM without sugar or cream all day, but even a perfect Sumatran or Yirgacheffe is too strong for my taste buds to drink without some sugar and cream.

Btw, if you get the chance you really should try [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak]Kopi Luwak[/url

Coffee that's been processed by a civet doesn't appeal to me, especially not at $200/pound. On the other hand, I'm curious about monsooned Malabar.
===
Short of Evergreen explaining themselves directly to us on these boards, I no longer have any faith that they're committed to making a movie and related products that have any relevance to the Honorverse.
Post by Fyrwulf   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Fyrwulf
Lieutenant Commander

MaxxQ wrote:No, I don't. Why would I, when I can't stand the stuff? It'd be stupid of me to spend $50/pound for something I refuse to consume.

Make you a deal. Next time I get some, I'll send you a small care package if you'll agree to try it. You must know somebody with a frech press.
===
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:46 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Fyrwulf wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:No, I don't. Why would I, when I can't stand the stuff? It'd be stupid of me to spend $50/pound for something I refuse to consume.

Make you a deal. Next time I get some, I'll send you a small care package if you'll agree to try it. You must know somebody with a frech press.

No insult intended, but don't bother.

Return to Honorverse