Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 47 guests

Shannon Foraker

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shannon Foraker
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:37 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
aairfccha wrote:On the other hand there was this description of a congressional hearing (not actually shown) where she needed an interpreter to communicate with politicians.

Yeahh... well, that's not saying much as politicians need an intepreter to understand plain english* anyway. :mrgreen:

*Or some version of French, if that happens to be the Havenite primary language, although I doubt it, as I don't think it's ever been mentioned one way or the other.

"Let's Go To Prague" tells us that New French, of obvious derivation, is also spoken in the RoH, though whether or not it's the primary language is anyone's guess. In my head, New French (or Nouveau Français, as I've taken to mentally calling it) is the native language for the planet Haven itself and most of its oldest daughter worlds - of which evidence can be found in that the capital is not 'New Paris' but 'Nouveau Paris' - but I suspect most official business was conducted in English, since Eloise and Elizabeth don't seem to have any issue communicating and no mention is made of interpreters.

I wonder if His Celeryness would care to shed some light on the matter?? :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Tenshinai   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

but I suspect most official business was conducted in English, since Eloise and Elizabeth don't seem to have any issue communicating and no mention is made of interpreters.

It could also mean that anyone considered decently educated has at least one secondary language, preferably whatever is used as the primary local trade or "international" language.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:
Right." Caslet tried very hard not to sigh. Shannon really didn't understand how irritating it was to have things you already knew explained to you. On the other hand, her lecture mode normally insured that she caught anything you might not know . . . or that you'd simply forgotten to consider.

Considering this quote, supplied by our resident on-duty tac-with Vince, may shed some light on Shannon's particular difficulty in communicating with 'Officers' and the like. Could it be because of her prolixity of explanation? If so, prolix speech could be a superb characteristic of a teacher.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by KNick   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:45 pm

KNick
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
aairfccha wrote:On the other hand there was this description of a congressional hearing (not actually shown) where she needed an interpreter to communicate with politicians.

Yeahh... well, that's not saying much as politicians need an intepreter to understand plain english* anyway. :mrgreen:

*Or some version of French, if that happens to be the Havenite primary language, although I doubt it, as I don't think it's ever been mentioned one way or the other.

Or it could be that Shannon got so pissed off by the vagueness or the stupidity of the first question that the committee asked her that she lost her temper. After all, she has little use for fools.....er...politicians.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Roguevictory   » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:14 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

MaxxQ wrote:

I always figured it went something like this.

Committee: <insert Shannon's rank at time of incident here> Shannon Foraker tell us everything you know about <insert project name here>.

Shannon begins explaining than sometime later say between ten minutes and an hour late the committee asks for a translator.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:40 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Roguevictory wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:On the other hand there was this description of a congressional hearing (not actually shown) where she needed an interpreter to communicate with politicians.

I always figured it went something like this.

Committee: <insert Shannon's rank at time of incident here> Shannon Foraker tell us everything you know about <insert project name here>.

Shannon begins explaining than sometime later say between ten minutes and an hour late the committee asks for a translator.

Her "translator" I believe was Linda Trenis.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:12 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

cthia wrote:Interesting thought. Should Haven's heavy hitters attempt the Crusher and fail it, would they lose their hyper license? :lol:

No doubt that Theisman, Shannon, Beuillefille, and McQueen could have passed it, but I'm not willing to give anyone else a free pass. I run a tight ship here. :D

Edit:
It would be nice if RFC, at some point, would give us a Haven version of Saggy Island. Shannon as a little minx growing up with her laptop, and Theisman getting drunk, Tourville discovering cigars, and Eloise...fighting off boys.

And Tourville as well passes, I presume? If not, why?
Post by tlb   » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:34 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Interesting thought. Should Haven's heavy hitters attempt the Crusher and fail it, would they lose their hyper license? :lol:

No doubt that Theisman, Shannon, Beuillefille, and McQueen could have passed it, but I'm not willing to give anyone else a free pass. I run a tight ship here. :D

Edit:
It would be nice if RFC, at some point, would give us a Haven version of Saggy Island. Shannon as a little minx growing up with her laptop, and Theisman getting drunk, Tourville discovering cigars, and Eloise...fighting off boys.

Shannon_Foraker wrote:And Tourville as well passes, I presume? If not, why?

Eloise would definitely NOT be in the Haven officer training school; she was an Aprilist and too busy shooting Legislaturalist scum to bother with trivia (see the short story Recruiting Exercise). After Rob S. Pierre and Saint Just took over, she became an officer in State Security (because she saw what would happen otherwise).

PS: I doubt that any flag officers would ever be put through the Crusher; particularly if they have been successful, since it would be redundant when the war was their "Crusher".
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:44 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

tlb wrote:

Edit:

Shannon_Foraker wrote:And Tourville as well passes, I presume? If not, why?

Eloise would definitely NOT be in the Haven officer training school; she was an Aprilist and too busy shooting Legislaturalist scum to bother with trivia (see the short story Recruiting Exercise). After Rob S. Pierre and Saint Just took over, she became an officer in State Security (because she saw what would happen otherwise).

PS: I doubt that any flag officers would ever be put through the Crusher; particularly if they have been successful, since it would be redundant when the war was their "Crusher".
Agree with both points.
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:

Edit:

And Tourville as well passes, I presume? If not, why?

Of course, forgive me for overlooking Tourville, and both Caslet and Yu. Between Caslet and Yu, wasn't one of them actually Theisman's mentor?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse