Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 160 guests

Questions About Stars, etc. in Hyper

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Questions About Stars, etc. in Hyper
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:14 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:
Norm.bone wrote:So has RFC ever answered this? What is in hyperspace? We know it's pretty, and looks like frozen lightning.

I had presumed that it was just like interstellar n-space, but "closer together", so that the hydrogen and helium atoms and whatnot would appear to be more dense.

Which led me to wonder, if you fill up a jar outside a ship in hyperspace, what happens when you bring the jar through the airlock or translate downward? Do the particles "decompress"?

Since the hyper-limit precludes it, I'd have no expectations of the translation of stars or planets in hyperspace, but say you're sitting on the hyper limit outside a star system. Can you observe the n-space star?

No, RFC has not really explained what is in hyperspace. But we do know that there are no stars in hyperspace. No, you cannot see or detect the n-space star or any other normal-space phenomenon from hyperspace.

This is a fascinating discussion, but I have question to add?

Can a ship in h-space cross the hyper limit of a star system and remain in h-space? I mean, can it stay in hyper space while crossing over the equivalent of the star system in n-space?
Re: Honorverse series, the future..?
Post by kzt   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Yes. You cannot tell whether you are inside the hyper limit. Well, if you try to cross the alpha wall you'll find out....
Post by Vince   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

hanuman wrote:
This is a fascinating discussion, but I have question to add?

Can a ship in h-space cross the hyper limit of a star system and remain in h-space? I mean, can it stay in hyper space while crossing over the equivalent of the star system in n-space?

This was answered in one of the books, I can't remember exactly which one, except that it is prior to A Rising Thunder. It's a scene where Lester Tourville is en-route to attack a system the RMN is in and is thinking about misplaced decimal points.

As long as a ship is in hyper space inside the hyper limit of a star, if they are in the outer 20% of the distance from the hyper limit, the ship will be OK, it just can't get into normal space. Deeper inside the hyper limit than that, Bad Things happen. (The in-universe expression is firing hard-boiled eggs from a ?machine? gun at a wall to see if they will bounce.)
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:35 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

Thank you, guys. So a star would not have any direct physical influence on its equivalent location and environment in h-space, if I understand you correctly - only if a ship tries to translate into n-space.

Another question, if no one minds. Is the hyper-limit a sharply-delineated edge or more of a very narrow transition zone?
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

hanuman wrote:Thank you, guys. So a star would not have any direct physical influence on its equivalent location and environment in h-space, if I understand you correctly - only if a ship tries to translate into n-space.

Another question, if no one minds. Is the hyper-limit a sharply-delineated edge or more of a very narrow transition zone?

That we don't really know for sure, except that if you miss and try to transit only a little way into the hyper limit, you don't get destroyed; you only bounce and fail to transit. RFC hasn't gone into detail about how rough that might be on the ship, though.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by boballab   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:25 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:
hanuman wrote:Thank you, guys. So a star would not have any direct physical influence on its equivalent location and environment in h-space, if I understand you correctly - only if a ship tries to translate into n-space.

That we don't really know for sure, except that if you miss and try to transit only a little way into the hyper limit, you don't get destroyed; you only bounce and fail to transit. RFC hasn't gone into detail about how rough that might be on the ship, though.

Actually a star in N space does effect ships in the lower hyperspace bands if they get to close to the star while in hyper:
Any star's gravity well produces a discernible distortion, or "ripple" effect, in the lowest hyper-space bands. These ripples are not normally sufficient to make problems for a starship simply passing through the hyper-space which corresponds to the normal-space location of the star, although such ships can occasionally encounter severe grav-wave turbulence if they get too close to the star. This ripple effect grows more pronounced as the mass of the star goes up, and the curve climbs quite steeply once you get into the stellar giant classes.

http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/si ... gton/125/1

It is not a sever effect per se, basically the the equivalent of air turbulence for an aircraft.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:55 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Check my new ship post, we talked to RFC about this and putting a space station / shipyard in hyperspace. Servicing it with regular, secret, freighter visits. Or baggage cargo carried on military vessels. One freighter can supply a world for months, a spacestation in hyper is not a problem to supply. For ship building a fast freighter relay can supply raw materials or refined materials without giving away the location. Add a final turn around set of locations and no one knows what is hidden where.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:00 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

One wonders if a terminus might be detectable from hyperspace. Traceable without going through it. Might detect black holes as well. One might presume all the stars in hyperspace are now gravitywave generating black holes which is where the gravity waves comes from and why no one has seen any of them. Plus why people stick to hyper space lanes and occasionally disappear.
Post by Duckk   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:05 am

Duckk
Site Admin

There is nothing detectable in hyperspace except for grav waves. You cannot see things like stars in hyperspace. The whole reason for the hyper log is because there is nothing in hyperspace that can provide navigational fixes.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by The E   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:01 am

The E
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Check my new ship post, we talked to RFC about this and putting a space station / shipyard in hyperspace. Servicing it with regular, secret, freighter visits. Or baggage cargo carried on military vessels. One freighter can supply a world for months, a spacestation in hyper is not a problem to supply. For ship building a fast freighter relay can supply raw materials or refined materials without giving away the location. Add a final turn around set of locations and no one knows what is hidden where.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's misappropriation. Yes, we talked about this idea (or, to be more precise, you talked about it, and everyone else, including RFC shot that idea down). Your post makes it sound like RFC approved the idea, which he most definitely did not (He said, IIRC, that you could do it, but that there was absolutely no point in doing it).

Return to Honorverse