Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ThinksMarkedly and 13 guests

Sally goes rogue

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Sally goes rogue
Post by tlb   » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:42 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Penny/Cthia, I could answer with spoilers here, but this is discussed specifically in Toll of Honor. I'd suggest reading that before continuing this line of thought.

Thinksmarkedly also made a brief mention of Toll of Honor. Can either of you (without getting into spoilers) simply say whether this specific text in the new book matches what was written in chapter 46 of Ashes of Victory?
Post by penny   » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:23 pm

penny
Captain of the List

penny wrote:I suppose one could argue that Honor had the Queen's unofficial support, or any of the following synonyms...
clandestinely, privately, secretly, surreptitiously, confidentially, behind closed doors, in private, on the quiet, off the record, on the q.t., backstage, furtively, discreetly, covertly, under cover, stealthily, under the counter, under the table, on the side, in confidence, unofficially, obscurely, intimately, conspiratorially, slyly

As all of you seem to imply. But what any of that did for Honor's emotional health was zilch. Seems that Beth's official support would have been an emotional support for Honor.

But Beth could not afford to support Honor openly. But why not? Since it was her legal right. It is because the Youngins would have raised Holy Hell and sabotaged the war effort. And they all did. In fact, it is several of those synonyms that probably did it, as far as the Youngins were concerned. Because since the Queen did not speak out about it, at least saying it was not her wishes, it appeared as if several of those synonyms of support came into play. Namely, conspiratorially and under the table. Which would have aggravated the Young's even more.

Instead of having Honor's back. They kicked her in her back-side.

Theemile wrote:Penny/Cthia, I could answer with spoilers here, but this is discussed specifically in Toll of Honor. I'd suggest reading that before continuing this line of thought.

Thanks! Looking forward to acquiring the book. Is spoiler season still in force???

Ok, but which line of thought are you referring to? That particular post, the one above, or both? Because I would really like to know if there is a statue of limitations on challenging. I am not sure about that. I recall Young hiding out, but I do not recall enough of the details. A reread is in order for certain. At any rate, was Young hiding out because he was trying to outlast the statue of limitations? Although I cannot see there being a statue of limitations having to do with murder. Wait, technically it was not murder. Technically. Paul was challenged and he accepted.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by tlb   » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:07 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Because I would really like to know if there is a statue of limitations on challenging. I am not sure about that. I recall Young hiding out, but I do not recall enough of the details. A reread is in order for certain. At any rate, was Young hiding out because he was trying to outlast the statue of limitations? Although I cannot see there being a statue of limitations having to do with murder. Wait, technically it was not murder. Technically. Paul was challenged and he accepted.

I have not read it in a long time either, but it is my impression that he was hoping to avoid her until the Admiralty sent her off on an assignment. Of course he would have to repeat this process anytime she was back on Manticore, unless he could hire her death.

True, a normal duel is not considered murder. But hiring a professional dueler to goad someone into a duel for the purpose of killing the inexperienced party is definitely illegal. Honor had the evidence which would be admissible in a civil court, but not a criminal one. So she could not be sued for what she said about hiring a professional; the only option for Pavel was to have her killed, which Denver Summervale was expected to do.

There is no such thing as a statute of limitations on a dueling challenge. When would the time even start? If the challenge is issued and accepted; then trying to hide and avoid the duel will mark the person as a coward, who would be driven out of civil society. In any case, Pavel was not challenged until Honor gave her maiden speech in the House of Lords. All the avoiding was to not give a place for the challenge to be issued.

PS: Since she called him a professional dueler, who had been hired by Pavel Young, at the time she challenged Denver; it is entirely possible that she would be shunned from society, if she did not then challenge Pavel (unless she had an excuse, such as being ordered not to duel by the Queen). Shunned by society could be enough to get her thrown out of the Navy permanently.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:59 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:

Thanks! Looking forward to acquiring the book. Is spoiler season still in force???

Ok, but which line of thought are you referring to? That particular post, the one above, or both? Because I would really like to know if there is a statue of limitations on challenging. I am not sure about that. I recall Young hiding out, but I do not recall enough of the details. A reread is in order for certain. At any rate, was Young hiding out because he was trying to outlast the statue of limitations? Although I cannot see there being a statue of limitations having to do with murder. Wait, technically it was not murder. Technically. Paul was challenged and he accepted.

Spoilers are at least 3 months after the hardback is released. The entirety of Field of Dishonor is covered in the new book... from a series of different points of view. Both lines of thought are covered to a degree. More on dueling is covered, and not being part of the legal system, I have never seen a mention of limits on Challenges - other than the challenged party has to agree with it. The Challenged can just laugh and walk away from the challenge - and accept the scorn and loss of face one could face from the press and their peers.

I don't think think is really a spoiler, but ToH really emphasizes the escalation of Young's efforts to discredit and then kill Honor. Honor is scared of what Young will do to her extended family and friends if left alone when Honor leaves the system for the war, and as seen in FoD, Young is actively attempting to kill Honor through Proxies, first through the duelist, then hitmen.

And Beth, while trying to appear apolitical (as usual) and though not speaking directly to Honor, was actively assisting her through proxies of her own, and was actively speaking to the Admiralty, telling them to leave Honor and the duel alone, and chewed out Hamish personally after he ordered Honor to not duel Young.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse