Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 166 guests

Pissing off the folks in the home system (Sol/Terra)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Pissing off the folks in the home system (Sol/Terra)
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:13 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

I think that the GA and their enlightened outlook and policies, will allow them to make friends in many places in both the verge and the shell. They might have a little trouble in SOME of the core systems if only bc of entrenched prejudice of neo barbs, especially upstart neo barbs that kicked the League's ass. But any core system that looks honestly at what the GA has, and how they represent themselves and their policies will surely gain traction towards friedly relations.
Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:02 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:I think that the GA and their enlightened outlook and policies, will allow them to make friends in many places in both the verge and the shell. They might have a little trouble in SOME of the core systems if only bc of entrenched prejudice of neo barbs, especially upstart neo barbs that kicked the League's ass. But any core system that looks honestly at what the GA has, and how they represent themselves and their policies will surely gain traction towards friedly relations.

I agree, but that does not mean the ordinary member of the inner core will leave the League. Why should they, when they have had good relations with their neighbors, all of whom are also in the League?
Post by Mycall4me   » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:26 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

tlb wrote:
Mycall4me wrote:I think that the GA and their enlightened outlook and policies, will allow them to make friends in many places in both the verge and the shell. They might have a little trouble in SOME of the core systems if only bc of entrenched prejudice of neo barbs, especially upstart neo barbs that kicked the League's ass. But any core system that looks honestly at what the GA has, and how they represent themselves and their policies will surely gain traction towards friedly relations.

I agree, but that does not mean the ordinary member of the inner core will leave the League. Why should they, when they have had good relations with their neighbors, all of whom are also in the League?

Absolutdly, I wouldn't want to see them leave the league, by all means, be open to peacefull relations, but the GA doesn't necessarily NEED more member systems. I foresee a fairly large part of the shell, that might seek some form of closer relations, if only to gain some of the advantages the GA could offer. So not full membership in the GA but some kind of close alliance.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:24 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I agree, but that does not mean the ordinary member of the inner core will leave the League. Why should they, when they have had good relations with their neighbors, all of whom are also in the League?

Because they aren't getting anything from being members any more but have been paying to the corrupt League. Not all of their neighbours are members (they already weren't and some have now left the League). Beowulf has shown the League was corrupt; the GA has shown that it was far from able to defend itself, not even the Sol system with 400 SDs and its mighty defences. So they may convince themselves they're better off outside of it. And once the pieces of the domino start falling...

The GA may also be giving special discounts to non-members who align with them.
Post by penny   » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:16 am

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Good point, but this is where the Harrington Doctrine comes in.

I do not think that we ever got to the point of the Harrington Doctrine kicking in, the war ended much too soon. Only that one region by Torch actually could be counted toward the Doctrine and they were inclined before the conflict began. There are also a few systems associated with Beowulf.

Well, part of the Harrington Doctrine did kick in, thank God, just in the knick of time. Honor almost flushed the Doctrine down the toilet, but the fact that she somehow managed not to tear the flimsy piece of rice paper may be the one thing that prevents Solarian revanchism.

My apologies Hamish, she managed to save the most important aspect of the Doctrine because of Hamish's desperate race to Manticore, which saved it.

The most important part of the Harrington Doctrine has always been about restraint. Let's face it people, what Honor did to the Sol System was a tap on the wrist.

Wasting time and resources blowing up scrap metal. :roll:

A lot of what will drive the SL attitude is the people who are left running it. Those who will take over for the Mandarins. Daud ibn Mamoun al-Fanudahi might turn out to be the light at the end of the tunnel. He realizes that Harrington showed utter and surprising restraint. Honor's actions have always stood her in good stead at the end of the day. If she had totally trashed the Sol System, her Doctrine would have burned right along with it. Since she didn't, there are those in the SL who are smart enough to realize and appreciate the gesture.

The problem is the institutional hatred for the MBS. A hatred I pointed out that storyline pointed out wasn't just confined to the SLN, but to many a man on the street who has been easily force fed slop. It is a deeply ingrained hatred that might prove to be difficult to root out. Difficult, but far from impossible which was proved by the same deeply ingrained hatred between Haven and Manticore, and the Andermani and Manticore. In both of those cases, the hatred was overcome by a miracle, a miracle fueled by something far bigger than the hatred. Self preservation. The prospect of death has always had a way of focusing ones mind.

So, as someone has 'round aboutly' implied already, the Harrington Doctrine needs a miracle. It will come in the form of the MAlignment's biggest mistake to date. Attacking the galaxy at large.

That will evoke empathy from the whole of the League. Officers and man on the street.

"Say what? Oh, you finally realize you're as deep in this shit as we are, huh?" Says the RMN.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by Mycall4me   » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:33 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Unfortunately, according to David in the afterward in Toll of Honor, he has all kinds of corners to paint in before (he presumably) starts any new long and involved multi-book story arc of Alignment vs Alliance.

And given all the advantages that he's built into the Alignment's nefarious plans, there's a whole LOT of story to tell.

Since we can't joggle his elbow to write anything other than what HE wants to write we are all going to have to enjoy whatever he DOES write, and hope that he lives long enough to get through all of his many, many projects and commitments.

May he live long and prosper. Personally I hope he'll live to a long and healthy 100.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:15 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Mycall4me wrote:Since we can't joggle his elbow to write anything other than what HE wants to write we are all going to have to enjoy whatever he DOES write, and hope that he lives long enough to get through all of his many, many projects and commitments.

May he live long and prosper. Personally I hope he'll live to a long and healthy 100.

What he said he's doing to mitigate that problem (that is that he doesn't have access to prolong) is to bring in a new co-writer, who could help publish faster but also take over in case he can't. I don't think we've heard who that is for the mainline story -- if anyone has more info, please say so.

We do know Timothy Zahn and Tom Pope have the Manticore Ascendant story to finish, at the discovery of the junction most likely, and Jane Lindskold co-writes the Star Kingdom stories (though that is open-ended). It also looks like Tim and Jacob Holo are the selected co-writers for the Saganami story.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:50 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:What he said he's doing to mitigate that problem (that is that he doesn't have access to prolong) is to bring in a new co-writer, who could help publish faster but also take over in case he can't. I don't think we've heard who that is for the mainline story -- if anyone has more info, please say so.

We do know Timothy Zahn and Tom Pope have the Manticore Ascendant story to finish, at the discovery of the junction most likely, and Jane Lindskold co-writes the Star Kingdom stories (though that is open-ended). It also looks like Tim and Jacob Holo are the selected co-writers for the Saganami story.

Yeah, I'm not sure who he's going to have working with him on the mainline books - though he shared a few days ago that Marisa Wolf is going to step in for Eric Flint. So she'll at least be working on books that have had significant mainline impact.

David Weber - FB post wrote:So there I was at MarsCon last weekend. And so were Toni Weisskopf and Marisa Wolf. And we had this conversation. And it seems Marisa (despite knowing me) really IS willing to step in for Eric and help me finish out the Crown of Slaves. Which will complete my entire original story arc for the series.

David Weber - FB post wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that Marisa Wolf has fallen into the clutches of the Honorverse. And I’ve also mentioned that Jan Kotouč will be writing the story of Mark Sarnow & Company in Sunny Silesia.
What I cannot for the life of me recall is whether or not I’ve mentioned that Jacob Holo will be doing the life of Edward Saganami. At the moment, it’s a trilogy, but this IS Baen we’re talking about.
Post by Mycall4me   » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:17 pm

Mycall4me
Commander

Jonathan_S wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:What he said he's doing to mitigate that problem (that is that he doesn't have access to prolong) is to bring in a new co-writer, who could help publish faster but also take over in case he can't. I don't think we've heard who that is for the mainline story -- if anyone has more info, please say so.

Yeah, I'm not sure who he's going to have working with him on the mainline books - though he shared a few days ago that Marisa Wolf is going to step in for Eric Flint. So she'll at least be working on books that have had significant mainline impact.

David Weber - FB post wrote:So there I was at MarsCon last weekend. And so were Toni Weisskopf and Marisa Wolf. And we had this conversation. And it seems Marisa (despite knowing me) really IS willing to step in for Eric and help me finish out the Crown of Slaves. Which will complete my entire original story arc for the series.

David Weber - FB post wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that Marisa Wolf has fallen into the clutches of the Honorverse. And I’ve also mentioned that Jan Kotouč will be writing the story of Mark Sarnow & Company in Sunny Silesia.
What I cannot for the life of me recall is whether or not I’ve mentioned that Jacob Holo will be doing the life of Edward Saganami. At the moment, it’s a trilogy, but this IS Baen we’re talking about.

Wow! That is good news! (In a bad way) I had thoughts along those lines myself, especially as I'm pretty sure that RFC has his future storylines and plots well planned out, in advance that is. All he has to do is train up sufficiently talented like minded writers to take over the reins of all his many, many untold stories and unfinished storylines

Return to Honorverse