Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 172 guests

Generation vs Colony vs Cryo

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Generation vs Colony vs Cryo
Post by penny   » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:16 pm

penny
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:
tlb wrote:Municipalities have trouble with sludge, because they have no control over what people are eating or otherwise disposing; that will not be true on a colony ship.

Anything organic in sludge is potential fertilizer for the hydroponic gardens. Anything inorganic needs to be separated and stored for reuse. The main sources of problems in sludge involves heavy metals. Most of these should have been eliminated in the building and loading of the ship. Any heavy metal not absolutely needed to sustain life, should have been purged from the ship before it launched. There may be radioactive materials that build due to bombardment of the ship, but these should be kept away from the living areas.

Note that the people also need to go through a purging process to eliminate any heavy metals that they previously ingested before they board the ship.

Actually, the best ways to sequester heavy metals and process wastes will be biological systems - probably genetically modified in the future, but some exist currently.

2 true stories:

The stepfather of a friend of mine had a tomato processing business (Katsup, canned tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, etc), and the waste from the plant included acidic waste pulps that were entering the sewer system and corroding the pipes. Working with agronomists, he built a catch pond with a specific sawgrass to filter the pulp (and feed the sawgrass). Worked great for 40 years until the EPA shut him down in the early 2000s for polluting a wetland (a wetland which he created specifically for the specific purpose of naturally filtering waste. Sadly, he was forced to close the plant, and sell the land (with the wetland) to Walmart.)

The other story - In college, I was a jr Project Manager on a project to build a new World Headquarters for the Fortune 500 corp I worked at. A politically expedient space on a former industrial site on river lowlands near the Downtown area was selected for the new campus, and construction proceeded. Several areas were found to be extremely polluted with 150 years of industrial waste, including heavy metals. Again, local agronomists were brought in and a stand of Birch trees were planted in the area with the greatest heavy metal content, and selected grasses and plants were introduced that were tolerant of the nature of the soil, and would slowly leach the contaminants from the soil. The plan was to cut down the trees after 30 years and incinerate the wood in a facility with heavy metal catchment hardware. Practically the entire team I was with has left that company or retired, So I have no idea if they still plan on removing the Birch trees.

I've heard of some municipalities creating lowlands for human waste processing (probably after sterilization), so if a generation ship is actually a massive hab, waste processing may include a biological aspect.

Sorry, I was writing this while TLB was posting.

Very interesting Theemile. Biologic solutions are utilized now. But they require a significant amount of time. The turnaround for these can be as high as 90 days, with the average 14 to 45 days. And that brings us right back to my argument of production falling behind consumption.

But your notion of advanced organisms working faster is certainly interesting and highly probable. But even that will have its production limits.

One other thing I failed to mention and Thinksmarkedly is right about. Even today it has been proposed to burn the dried sludge to make electricity. That might happen aboard a generation ship. Can it be done efficiently?

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:41 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Interesting. You might be right that more control over products would be a necessity. I just don't see how they can pull it off. Heavy metals come from flushing a slew of beauty care products, a slew of cleaning products, dry cleaning waste, hospital waste and more down the drain. I just don't see how one can police what someone flushes.

Well you might be able to go techno-surveillance state on it, sensors in the drains to analyze what was flushed and ways of tracking the colonists to know who was there when the flushing happened.

But it seems far easier to sidestep the flushing problem by simply minimizing the amount of heavy metals brought aboard in the first place. This is unlikely to be 100% effective, but the amount of heavy metals that might get smuggled aboard in illicit products is going to be pretty low, all things considered. Basically don't allow the colonists to bring aboard personal supplies of those problematic items. Their cleaning supplies, beauty products, etc. shall be acquired from the official supplies aboard ship -- which incidentally would the ones that the ship will be able to continue to make during the centuries long journey. Use formulas free of toxic heavy metals and then no amount of flushing those can cause heavy metal contamination/concentration. The ship's a sealed system, so no heavy metals that weren't already aboard when it departed are going to sneak in over the centuries -- so if you can minimize the initial amount then you dramatically reduce concerns about bio (or other) accumulation.
Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:10 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Interesting. You might be right that more control over products would be a necessity. I just don't see how they can pull it off. Heavy metals come from flushing a slew of beauty care products, a slew of cleaning products, dry cleaning waste, hospital waste and more down the drain. I just don't see how one can police what someone flushes.

Jonathan_S wrote:Well you might be able to go techno-surveillance state on it, sensors in the drains to analyze what was flushed and ways of tracking the colonists to know who was there when the flushing happened.

But it seems far easier to sidestep the flushing problem by simply minimizing the amount of heavy metals brought aboard in the first place. This is unlikely to be 100% effective, but the amount of heavy metals that might get smuggled aboard in illicit products is going to be pretty low, all things considered. Basically don't allow the colonists to bring aboard personal supplies of those problematic items. Their cleaning supplies, beauty products, etc. shall be acquired from the official supplies aboard ship -- which incidentally would the ones that the ship will be able to continue to make during the centuries long journey. Use formulas free of toxic heavy metals and then no amount of flushing those can cause heavy metal contamination/concentration. The ship's a sealed system, so no heavy metals that weren't already aboard when it departed are going to sneak in over the centuries -- so if you can minimize the initial amount then you dramatically reduce concerns about bio (or other) accumulation.

Exactly, that is what I was trying to say. The colonists have to go through an isolation period before boarding, where their health and belongings are checked. Meanwhile they are eating and using only the things that available on ship. This is the final process to weed out those that cannot cope.
Post by Relax   » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:06 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Heavy metal separation in a water slurry? Separating the water is absurdly easy but the solids...

Electro plating and electro statics in a BIG tank solves nearly all those problems. Will take several tanks. This solution has been promoted multiple times for separating All recycled minerals here on earth for instance. Only reason it is not done is virgin metals are absurdly cheap in comparison.

Think LARGE flow batteries, due to heat and density of said metals they self separate. Energy inefficient compared to virgin metals here on earth, but... I do not see this being a big deal to be monitored that is for sure.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:53 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:One other thing I failed to mention and Thinksmarkedly is right about. Even today it has been proposed to burn the dried sludge to make electricity. That might happen aboard a generation ship. Can it be done efficiently?

I doubt it. Burning produces a trickle amount of electricity compared to the fusion plants and does produce COᵪ, which will have to be scrubbed. I suppose you could do carbon capture at the source so that COᵪ is never released into the ship air supply, but you'd have to either store it for the remainder of the trip, or break it down again, for further energy expenditure.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:42 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
penny wrote:One other thing I failed to mention and Thinksmarkedly is right about. Even today it has been proposed to burn the dried sludge to make electricity. That might happen aboard a generation ship. Can it be done efficiently?

I doubt it. Burning produces a trickle amount of electricity compared to the fusion plants and does produce COᵪ, which will have to be scrubbed. I suppose you could do carbon capture at the source so that COᵪ is never released into the ship air supply, but you'd have to either store it for the remainder of the trip, or break it down again, for further energy expenditure.

Why not just use hydroponics with (for humans) lethal levels of C02 in the module, you get extra growth - even better if the plants in the greenhouse module are genetically adapted for it. Currently, we have modded algae to digest pure C02.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:48 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Why not just use hydroponics with (for humans) lethal levels of C02 in the module, you get extra growth - even better if the plants in the greenhouse module are genetically adapted for it. Currently, we have modded algae to digest pure C02.

You could do that. But I fear that burning stuff would produce more COᵪ than those plants would consume and remove from the supply. And it's also energy-inefficient: maybe just have some plants that work on the sludge directly and extract the carbon from it and into food, without going through COᵪ first.
Post by penny   » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:27 pm

penny
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:

Jonathan_S wrote:Well you might be able to go techno-surveillance state on it, sensors in the drains to analyze what was flushed and ways of tracking the colonists to know who was there when the flushing happened.

Exactly, that is what I was trying to say. The colonists have to go through an isolation period before boarding, where their health and belongings are checked. Meanwhile they are eating and using only the things that available on ship. This is the final process to weed out those that cannot cope.

Well, it could work. But I just don't think that that is a realistic plan. There are just too many sources that introduce heavy metals. Necessary sources.

Steel pipes, pots, pans, equipment, cleaning products, beauty care products. Women's lipstick has arsenic in it. Medicines might contain arsenic. Aluminum pots and pans can be eliminated for better options, for sure. And nonstick surfaces can be flushed (pardon the pun) in favor of steel pots and pans; which will introduce heavy metals. Plumbing from steel pipes and even the reactor will introduce heavy metals.

But! Cleaning products will be necessary aboard ship. And I would imagine effective cleaning products would be needed. I can't speak for anyone else, but plant based laundry detergents are not my cup of tea.

At any rate, industrial strength cleaning products will be needed, even if they are only available for the industrial sector aboard ship. But if they are available for the industrial sector, they might as well be offered ship wide. Besides, natural amounts of heavy metals are needed for the body.

At any rate, I am more inclined to accept that in the HV, a better way to handle the waste has been discovered, and or the sludge is ejected into space. *

*Thinksmarkedly, as far as ejected sludge being a navigation hazard, I hear you. However, if the sludge is ejected in its dry state, then only dust will be ejected into space, which will hardly be a navigation hazard. Particle screens are there to sweep dust aside.

In summary, I just do not think it is realistic to handicap the entire operation by limiting access to the right tools for the job. Industrial strength cleaning agents are necessary. Across the board.

Last edited by penny on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:50 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:the sludge is ejected into space

On a generational ship, with several thousand (?) people; that could be up to several tons of sludge a week (*), even after extracting the water. That seems unsustainable on a multi-century cruise.

* Assume 1 - 2 pounds of dry poo per person a week.

PS: There are no heavy metals in either lye or ammonia, so why is cleaning material a necessary source of heavy metal? Are you positive that arsenic is necessary in lipstick (assuming that lipstick is necessary)? With advanced technology, won't it be possible to join stainless steel pipes without the use of heavy metals? I think you are being far too casual about the chance of excluding heavy metals from a generational colony ship. Any amount over that needed in the bodys should be excluded.
Post by Daryl   » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:07 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Burning the sludge for power doesn't make sense. Even on a planet with vast stores of oxygen we are moving away from chemical reaction thermal plants. Any excess CO2 would have to be scrubbed out, at a higher energy cost.
A generation ship would have to go as close to 100% recycling as possible in all aspects to survive for decades or centuries. While that means no dumping of sludge, there is no possibility of it causing a navigational hazard anyway. Space is too huge to properly conceive. Both our solar system and the target one are independently moving, so any new flight path would be millions of kilometres away each time. A ship of say 5 kilometres wide wouldn't come near it ever.

Return to Honorverse