Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Defense of Felix

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Defense of Felix
Post by penny   » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:07 am

penny
Captain of the List

Quantum Communication

Success: ✓
Failure:

"Oh my Alpha. We don't need a dispatch boat. We have solved our Two Generals' Problem."

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Re: Defense of Felix
Post by penny   » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:47 am

penny
Captain of the List

You don't think Alphas know ahead of time that the GA will seize Felix? They want them to do it.

Hmm... what can a navy do if it knows exactly where you will concentrate a lot of your forces?* And what if that navy is invisible. That is how Honor lost Courvosier.

* I bet the SLN knows what that navy can do.

It is ironic the RMN does not realize how the threat environment has changed.

Re: The Defense of Felix
Post by kzt   » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:48 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Well, if I was them and could plant the info I’d have them go after something totally worthless. And then when they take the bait and show up you crush them like a bug.
Post by penny   » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:52 am

penny
Captain of the List

You know how the threat environment has changed. :lol:

Post by tlb   » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:52 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Is it the case that they would only be attacking Felix, if they knew that Mannerheim and the Renaissance Factor were actually a front for the Malign?
Post by penny   » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:56 pm

penny
Captain of the List

Trapdoor Spider

How can a navy hope to seize the Felix Junction if Felix's defensive forces are invisible? How do you know if you have succeeded in seizing the junction or simply delivered yourself unto a trap? Says the Trapdoor Spider to the fly.

Do consider that my notion of a Spider hiding behind the intense gravity of the WHJ extends to any junction. Felix belongs to the MAN. There is a Spider(s) already in its nest.

Post by tlb   » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:11 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Felix belongs to the MAN.

Whatever, I just want to know what the GA learned that would make them want to control Felix? How, Why, When and Where did they learn that Felix belongs to the Malign?
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:06 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote: Trapdoor Spider

How can a navy hope to seize the Felix Junction if Felix's defensive forces are invisible? How do you know if you have succeeded in seizing the junction or simply delivered yourself unto a trap? Says the Trapdoor Spider to the fly.

Do consider that my notion of a Spider hiding behind the intense gravity of the WHJ extends to any junction. Felix belongs to the MAN. There is a Spider(s) already in its nest.

They don't need to seize it. They just need to deny it to the Alignment and the MAN.

From inside the wormhole to the edge of the junction's hyperlimit, a ship takes over 5 minutes at 150 gravities. That's more than enough time to fire a brace of missiles from a shoal previously deployed around the Junction from 46 million km away, which is too far for the MAN to find all. All of this can be controlled by a single long-endurance light cruiser. And they don't need to destroy the LDs: they just need to damage them sufficiently that their stealth is compromised, to cause them to be mission-kill.

The only difficulty is the initial insertion. But then the GA can take a page or two off the MAlign's book: translate from hyper a light-hour away and shuffle the pods out of the freighter's holds while in transit. The actual insertion does not need to be stealthy: the MAN can know that a task force transitioned somewhere. So long as they don't know where the task force went and where the control ships and pods are located, they can't do much about them.
Post by penny   » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:12 pm

penny
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
penny wrote: Trapdoor Spider

They don't need to seize it. They just need to deny it to the Alignment and the MAN.

From inside the wormhole to the edge of the junction's hyperlimit, a ship takes over 5 minutes at 150 gravities. That's more than enough time to fire a brace of missiles from a shoal previously deployed around the Junction from 46 million km away, which is too far for the MAN to find all. All of this can be controlled by a single long-endurance light cruiser. And they don't need to destroy the LDs: they just need to damage them sufficiently that their stealth is compromised, to cause them to be mission-kill.

The only difficulty is the initial insertion. But then the GA can take a page or two off the MAlign's book: translate from hyper a light-hour away and shuffle the pods out of the freighter's holds while in transit. The actual insertion does not need to be stealthy: the MAN can know that a task force transitioned somewhere. So long as they don't know where the task force went and where the control ships and pods are located, they can't do much about them.

Except that the GA is not aware of any need to do that. They are not aware of the scope of the new threat environment. So, any new arrivals or research parties or pickets would be destroyed. Nobody would know what happened to any small parties that were destroyed.

Post by tlb   » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:27 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Except that the GA is not aware of any need to do that. They are not aware of the scope of the new threat environment. So, any new arrivals or research parties or pickets would be destroyed. Nobody would know what happened to any small parties that were destroyed.

I still do not understand; if they are not aware of something, then why are they doing ANYTHING with Felix? They are also required to have intelligence on Mannerheim and the Renaissance Factor. Not just suspicions, so that would mean that they must have already acted on Mannerheim. It is true that does not mean that they aware of the threat environment, but it does mean that the Renaissance Factor might not be able to play a part anymore.

Return to Honorverse