Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 173 guests

Religious Treecats

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Religious Treecats
Post by penny   » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:46 pm

penny
Captain of the List

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Thinksmarkedly wrote:Penny's argument is that the treecat could be willing, so they wouldn't necessarily report on the lies and secrets, at least not the ones that the Onion is interested in keeping. But it seems that the reaction is physiological rather than a learned skill, so the treecat may not have a choice but to detect, fill ill at ease, and broadcast that to the adoptee. Even if both decide that they don't want to act on it, their reaction may tell others around them that a lie is being told or subterfuge being perpetrated.

penny wrote:If a treecat is bonded with someone in the Onion, the cat might be loyal to the Onion.

You didn't hear me. I said the reaction may be physiological, like smelling something foul causing someone to wrinkle their nose. Or being punched in the gut causing someone to double over. They may not have a choice but to react and thus make it evident to others around them that it has happened, including reactions to the subterfuge that the adoptee may have wanted to cause. That means this person cannot be allowed to interact with untrusted others.

That's a serious impediment for the Detweilers, who need to run an organisation. The alternative is to literally become a secluded Evil Lord petting a 'cat.

Ah! I see. And I agree. Honestly, that went right over my head. Lies might be like tasting a lemon for a treecat.

But It begs the question of how that fact is handled in the GA. Nimitz and some of the older more experienced cats may have acquired a poker face. But that still leaves the younger cats. Nice thought Thinksmarkedly.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by penny   » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:09 am

penny
Captain of the List

Really, the GA's cats must learn diplomacy. It isn't always advisable to let all parties involved know that you know they are lying.

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:41 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Really, the GA's cats must learn diplomacy. It isn't always advisable to let all parties involved know that you know they are lying.

Just hide the 'cat. That's what Indy and Firebrand did in TEiF when they went to visit someone on that station where they picked up the trail of Zack McBryde.

The subject doesn't need to know a treecat is present in an interrogation, behind the one-way glass. You bring the 'cat out (of the bag) because you want the subject to know. And, again like those twain, you can also exaggerate their abilities.

Return to Honorverse