Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 151 guests

Religious Treecats

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Religious Treecats
Post by penny   » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:09 pm

penny
Captain of the List

:?:

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Re: Religious Treecats
Post by penny   » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:10 pm

penny
Captain of the List

The Prodigal Cat

Post by Daryl   » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:29 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Scarcely likely in a telepathic species. Hard to lie to gain converts.
Post by tlb   » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:48 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Maybe that of Ancient Egypt, where the following was believed (according to National Geographic Kids): "Egyptians believed cats were magical creatures, capable of bringing good luck to the people who housed them".
Post by penny   » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:01 am

penny
Captain of the List

The Cats are already rather spiritual. Down to earth. And on Grayson, they are surely being exposed to certain ideals.

Truth is the cornerstone of religion, even though that truth is oftentimes blurred and tainted in the hands of man. But in a species incapable of lies and deceit, only Heaven is the limit.

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:36 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:The Cats are already rather spiritual. Down to earth. And on Grayson, they are surely being exposed to certain ideals.

Truth is the cornerstone of religion, even though that truth is oftentimes blurred and tainted in the hands of man. But in a species incapable of lies and deceit, only Heaven is the limit.

Faith is what you believe in without being able to prove or disprove it (assuming you don't ignore evidence). So there's no reason why treecats can't have faith in something.

They can indeed adopt the Philosophy of the Test. That's a way of living one's live, a set of morals. Given that their regular Clan structure of Scouts, Builders, etc. will be completely upended by living on a different environment, it's very likely they will change their way of living and I could see them adopting the Grayson's worldview.

Whether they start believing in an unseen entity that goes by the name of Tester is a different story.
Post by markusschaber   » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:44 pm

markusschaber
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

tlb wrote:Maybe that of Ancient Egypt, where the following was believed (according to National Geographic Kids): "Egyptians believed cats were magical creatures, capable of bringing good luck to the people who housed them".

Cats actually brought good luck, by reducing pests like rats, snakes and mice.
Post by markusschaber   » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:47 pm

markusschaber
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Whether they start believing in an unseen entity that goes by the name of Tester is a different story.

On the other hand, they're more or less surrounded by pepole who believe. In other words, they don't "lie" or "pretend" (which would fail the telempathic truth detectors), they really believe the Tester exists. So they might convince some treecats - it's "believe" after all, not "know for sure as a proven fact".
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:44 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

markusschaber wrote:On the other hand, they're more or less surrounded by pepole who believe. In other words, they don't "lie" or "pretend" (which would fail the telempathic truth detectors), they really believe the Tester exists. So they might convince some treecats - it's "believe" after all, not "know for sure as a proven fact".

Sure, but we have no clue whether this could happen. They already have difficulty with some other abstract human concepts, so this could be one more of them. It will also depend on how skeptical they are; "pics or it didn't happen."
Post by penny   » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:38 am

penny
Captain of the List

In my lifetime I have come across Christians who were what I called as perfect a Christian as you can get. One of my Aunts is that way. Soft spoken. Sweet. It is as if I can see a halo over her head. There is just so much peace around her. Her home has always been an oasis from the storms. There have been other people that give off the same vibe as well.

Since treecats would be able to sense those kinds of emotions and utter tranquility, I wonder what kind of taste a true Christian's mind-glow would be to a Cat. It most certainly would have to interest them quite a bit.

But I'd like to jump ahead to a Cat that has joined the CHU. If any, what effect might spirituality have on the treecat species? American Indians have always been able to see in the spiritual realm and are more attuned to nature. Would a spiritual treecat develop even stronger empathic abilities? Yoga? Zen? Maybe even infinitely increase their range. Quantum entanglements.

Return to Honorverse