Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 170 guests

new Honorverse book coming in 2024 - Yay!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: new Honorverse book coming in 2024 - Yay!
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:08 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

BillT52 wrote:As ThinksMarkedly pointed out, Honor is much too senior to be leading battles. And since RFC's original plan to have one of her children lead the charge has been closed due to the compressed timeline, I think Lt. Bolgeo is being set up as the officer to lead the final campaign against the Malign. I've also seen posts suggesting that Michelle Henke could fill that role, but others have argued against that. So instead maybe Lt. Bolgeo, now an Admiral, will be the officer in command when the Malign meets it's final test.

Admittedly we haven't seen anything of Lt. Bolgeo in between to indicate she would be a candidate for such a mission. But I've always suspected that the discovery of Darius will be a surprise and Admiral Bolgeo will happen to be the senior officer in the right place at the needed time to be put in command.

At least that's what occurred to me as an explanation for going back in time for the next book.

That's a good theory, but he didn't have to do that to have a character we have connection to and be leading in the present as Admiral. We already have some: the aforementioned Admiral Gold Peak, Admiral Jan Kotouč, Admiral Oversteegen, Admiral Terekhov (currently Commodore). If there's need to give it a few more years, there's Megan Petersen whenever she gets her two stars as Admiral Arngrim.

I really want to see Admirals Gold Peak and Lester Tourville working together.

And Lt. Bolgeo may already be too old to be a Commander or Captain (j.g.). Scotty Tremaine was also a lieutenant around the timeframe of the new book and he was a Commodore on his last mission before getting the second star by the end of TEiF. Though it's equally possible that Bolgeo's career can't compare to Tremaine's because hers wasn't rescued by someone influential, like Andrea Jaruwalski's was after Santino messed up the defence of Seaford Nine. The blurb of the book even hints that she is going to feel the ire of Lord Pavel Young, so it's possible people like Santino will keep Bolgeo down even after Pavel's death.

Here's a wild idea: what if a disgruntled Lt. Brandy Bolgeo, possibly cashiered out of the RMN due to the actions of Young and friends, got recruited by the MAlign?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:33 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Lt. Bolgeo is a Tuckerism (BTW, the Bolgeo who was a member of the crew of the LAC "Cutthroat", destroyed in Chapter 39 of _Ashes of Victory_ was a Tuckerism of the original's father). As an engineering officer, she has had no opportunity to be noticed by the Conservative Alliance's gang and I really doubt that she will have any big role in the eventual destruction of the MAlign (she easily could be a fatality in the Battle of Manticore).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by penny   » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:29 am

penny
Captain of the List

I doubt anyone new will lead the charge against the MAlign. Participate, yes, maybe. But get all the glory? No.

Besides, you all overlook the very intimate promise that Honor made to personally see the destruction of the MA through.

As far as more of Pavel Young? Really? Well, I'll just wait and see regarding this book. I don't like eating crow. And the author had a way of delivering even when the junctions have been closed. I think he has the key or something. So, my faith in the author gets the best of me.

The author could use the book to introduce small tidbits that may lead to Darius, or even how to help detect the spider drive. I once toyed with Henke's fleet seeing something odd and recording it. Then remembering it later. Even if it is regarding the streak drive.

At any rate, it is difficult for me to get aroused from more Pavel Young unless the author expands the scene in the shower and shows us why Pavel Young becomes a man on fire. Like, perhaps, while Honor was atop of him she ripped down his pants and shoved a finger right up his... testimonial!

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.

Return to Honorverse