Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 149 guests

Slightly Confused

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Slightly Confused
Post by CaptainPerseus   » Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:46 pm

CaptainPerseus
Ensign

I'm slightly confused. The description for Toll of Honor says its a new solo novel and has an entirely new lead character, so I would assume it's a stand alone book or start of a new series, but Amazon is listing it as Honor Harrington Book 20. Meanwhile Uncompromising Honor is listed as Book 14.

Did I miss six HH books somewhere or did the Saganami books and a couple of the Crown of Slaves books get renumbered into the main series? And is Toll of Honor a main series book, a stand alone, or the start of a new series?
Re: Slightly Confused
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:24 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

CaptainPerseus wrote:I'm slightly confused. The description for Toll of Honor says its a new solo novel and has an entirely new lead character, so I would assume it's a stand alone book or start of a new series, but Amazon is listing it as Honor Harrington Book 20. Meanwhile Uncompromising Honor is listed as Book 14.

Did I miss six HH books somewhere or did the Saganami books and a couple of the Crown of Slaves books get renumbered into the main series? And is Toll of Honor a main series book, a stand alone, or the start of a new series?

If I heard correctly, the story involves a side character from EoH (Bolego), but is a setup for her set in parallel with events in SVW and FoD.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:25 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

In the small print near the bottom left of the "blurb" it refers to "Books In This Series (15 Books)"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toll-Honor-Har ... 109&sr=8-1
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Joat42   » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:01 pm

Joat42
Admiral

It's a standalone book featuring Lt Brandy Bolgeo. The story parallels Field of Dishonor after the events in The Short Victorious War.

Side note: There's another character named Bolgeo, PO Bolgeo who died in Ashes of Victory when HMLAC Cutthroat was destroyed. There is no textev available if they are related in any way.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:11 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

CaptainPerseus wrote:I'm slightly confused. The description for Toll of Honor says its a new solo novel and has an entirely new lead character, so I would assume it's a stand alone book or start of a new series, but Amazon is listing it as Honor Harrington Book 20. Meanwhile Uncompromising Honor is listed as Book 14.

UH calls itself "Book 19", so this is the very next one after. The only way this is close to making any sense is if we count only novels written by David alone: that is, the regular 14 (now 15), plus the four Saganami Island books.

But we're still one off.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:13 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Joat42 wrote:It's a standalone book featuring Lt Brandy Bolgeo. The story parallels Field of Dishonor after the events in The Short Victorious War.

Side note: There's another character named Bolgeo, PO Bolgeo who died in Ashes of Victory when HMLAC Cutthroat was destroyed. There is no textev available if they are related in any way.

It is my impression that two fans had been tuckerized, father and daughter. The father was redshirted in _Ashes of Victory_ and the daughter is Brandy Bolgeo.

Note that a villain in the _A Beautiful Friendship_ called himself Tennessee Bolgeo, which I suspect is another tuckerism of the father.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:11 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:It's a standalone book featuring Lt Brandy Bolgeo. The story parallels Field of Dishonor after the events in The Short Victorious War.

As such I expect we'll see at least discussion or, or news stories of Honor. After all the delays on declaring war, the related Young court-martial, Honor's challenge to Young during her maiden address, and the duel are going to be major topics of, let's not call it gossip, within the military. (Paul's duel and death probably less so)

It'd be kind of weird to have a new military viewpoint character in that time and not address those events. Heck, maybe Brandy will cross paths with Honor, in some way minor enough that it's reasonable to not have been part of the existing books.
Post by Joat42   » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:26 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

As such I expect we'll see at least discussion or, or news stories of Honor. After all the delays on declaring war, the related Young court-martial, Honor's challenge to Young during her maiden address, and the duel are going to be major topics of, let's not call it gossip, within the military. (Paul's duel and death probably less so)

It'd be kind of weird to have a new military viewpoint character in that time and not address those events. Heck, maybe Brandy will cross paths with Honor, in some way minor enough that it's reasonable to not have been part of the existing books.

According to the blurbs about the book, Brandy is on sick-leave while grieving for lost comrades that died on the ship she was stationed on, it seems it was shot up quite badly due to someone's cowardice at Hancock.

It is a certainty those events will be addressed in the book considering what Bolgeo experienced.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.

Return to Honorverse