Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 165 guests

Manticore exploration?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Manticore exploration?
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:16 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

At the surrender of the SLN and the terms imposed on the SL, specifically SLN and things like OFS, we don't actually know who was available to take over either the Astro Control or SDF duties for any of the Systems which had OFS controlled wormholes.

Anywhere OFS had to pull out of was going to be in a bit of a problem as the are also going to be outside of the area where the SLN will be allowed to travel. IF the local Astro Teams were actually local and while there might an an OFS "oversight person on hand to confirm the raking off of OFS fees and "gifts" then the station probably could function with a local trained crew. Their difficulty is what is there to protect both the system and the wormhole.

For Junkers (spelling) the arrangement was initially brokered by Manticore and Idaho (I think) is the other end so they may already have some RMN warships assigned since clearly FF and OFS will be taken of the the Junkers system and Idaho was never under OFS/FF "help". It is going to take more than equipping Junkers System with some modern Manticoiran LACs, it means they are going to have to find a way to support a SDF with modern equipment capable of dealing with at least former SLN warships with are now being controlled by systems who have bought them for their own use and now are looking to grab a cash cow of habitable planet and a wormhole that has existing traderoutes using it.

Just for example, Junkers was staying carefully out of the way when the local FF commander had been ordered to take a squadron of Battle Cruisers thuough the the wormhole to force the issue with the local RMN Lacoon II picket. That's a lot of BCs so how many other systems (with or without wormholes are in a patrol area which rates at least a squadron of BC not to mention any of the higher ships?

I see a need for at least a few years for the GA to get highly involved in keeping problems from showing up.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:17 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

At the surrender of the SLN and the terms imposed on the SL, specifically SLN and things like OFS, we don't actually know who was available to take over either the Astro Control or SDF duties for any of the Systems which had OFS controlled wormholes.

Anywhere OFS had to pull out of was going to be in a bit of a problem as the are also going to be outside of the area where the SLN will be allowed to travel. IF the local Astro Teams were actually local and while there might an an OFS "oversight person on hand to confirm the raking off of OFS fees and "gifts" then the station probably could function with a local trained crew. Their difficulty is what is there to protect both the system and the wormhole.

For Junkers (spelling) the arrangement was initially brokered by Manticore and Idaho (I think) is the other end so they may already have some RMN warships assigned since clearly FF and OFS will be taken of the the Junkers system and Idaho was never under OFS/FF "help". It is going to take more than equipping Junkers System with some modern Manticoiran LACs, it means they are going to have to find a way to support a SDF with modern equipment capable of dealing with at least former SLN warships with are now being controlled by systems who have bought them for their own use and now are looking to grab a cash cow of habitable planet and a wormhole that has existing traderoutes using it.

Just for example, Junkers was staying carefully out of the way when the local FF commander had been ordered to take a squadron of Battle Cruisers thuough the the wormhole to force the issue with the local RMN Lacoon II picket. That's a lot of BCs so how many other systems (with or without wormholes are in a patrol area which rates at least a squadron of BC not to mention any of the higher ships?

I see a need for at least a few years for the GA to get highly involved in keeping problems from showing up.
Post by MantiMerchie   » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:44 am

MantiMerchie
Ensign

Puidwen wrote:I think the manticore military might need a new mission. Sending out a few destroyers to make sure all the star charts are right. In just recent time in terms of inaccurate star charts we have Cerberus System, the Refuge System, and the Galton System. And there's Honor's line that goes something like "It's what you think you know." that gets you. Also as a nice side effect I suspect you might run into a few slavers and pirates.
Would it need to be destroyers though? Might unarmed civilian crewed ships work? Hyper to a system, drop near the edge and spend a few days doing a basic survey.
Crew size might be the same when you add in a tracking team but you don't need the expensive weapons systems. Think T-AGS vessels. If your at the edge of the system you can jump out if it looks heavily inhabited or potentially defended.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Post by phillies   » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:19 am

phillies
Admiral

Puidwen wrote:I think the manticore military might need a new mission. Sending out a few destroyers to make sure all the star charts are right. In just recent time in terms of inaccurate star charts we have Cerberus System, the Refuge System, and the Galton System. And there's Honor's line that goes something like "It's what you think you know." that gets you. Also as a nice side effect I suspect you might run into a few slavers and pirates.

There is this amazing technology called 'telescopes'. The technology that lets me build a gamma-ray lens for a graser cannon lets me build an achromatic lens of far larger size for visible light (or, if you prefer, with other techniques, a very large mirror) at which point I can image stars and their planets across known space. The Webb telescope is only 20 feet across. A mirror the size of the late Arecibo telescope would be close to 100 times as far across and have ten thousand times the light collecting power. A list of visible planets, say starting with G and F class stars, soon follows.
Post by tlb   » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:50 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:There is this amazing technology called 'telescopes'. The technology that lets me build a gamma-ray lens for a graser cannon lets me build an achromatic lens of far larger size for visible light (or, if you prefer, with other techniques, a very large mirror) at which point I can image stars and their planets across known space. The Webb telescope is only 20 feet across. A mirror the size of the late Arecibo telescope would be close to 100 times as far across and have ten thousand times the light collecting power. A list of visible planets, say starting with G and F class stars, soon follows.

I expect that work has already been done, but of course what you see though a telescope is years out of date. You might want to use this information as a starting point, but still need to send a ship to places of interest. For example, is Betelgeuse still around in the form we see through the telescope.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:24 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I expect that work has already been done, but of course what you see though a telescope is years out of date. You might want to use this information as a starting point, but still need to send a ship to places of interest. For example, is Betelgeuse still around in the form we see through the telescope.

I'm pretty sure all supernova candidates within a thousand light-years have permanently-stationed research teams, or at least a monitoring station that is serviced a few times a year.

Though I think there's only one supernova candidate in that range and that's Betelgeuse.

Unless the MAlign is inventing Nova Bombs along with their quantum ansibles.
Post by tlb   » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:45 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I expect that work has already been done, but of course what you see though a telescope is years out of date. You might want to use this information as a starting point, but still need to send a ship to places of interest. For example, is Betelgeuse still around in the form we see through the telescope.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:I'm pretty sure all supernova candidates within a thousand light-years have permanently-stationed research teams, or at least a monitoring station that is serviced a few times a year.

I only mentioned it, because it is of current interest on Earth, I am sure there are other things that could be put on a list of interesting places to survey.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:00 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:At the surrender of the SLN and the terms imposed on the SL, specifically SLN and things like OFS, we don't actually know who was available to take over either the Astro Control or SDF duties for any of the Systems which had OFS controlled wormholes.

I believe we got a number of 4500-4800 BCs in the SLN; there are at least 1764 Member planets (as of 1917pd) and somewhere between 200 and 2000 OFS protectorates (number never firmly mentioned). So at a minimum, we talking 2ish BCs per planet if spread, so that 6 BC bumrush at Zunker stripped 2-3 worlds of their BCs. (Direct defense is not how the SLN uses BCs so it isn't an exact correlation.)

I had a running tally at one point, but up to the Sol raid, the RMN removed ~1/8 of the BCs in the SLN that we know of.)
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse