Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Manticore navy veteran emigration?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Manticore navy veteran emigration?
Post by Puidwen   » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:50 pm

Puidwen
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

How much is allowed? What i mean you give up rights when you join the military. The manticoran navy has a lot of technology they definitely don't want anyone to know about, so it seem somewhat logical that you wouldn't allowed those who have those secrets outside of manticoran space once their civilians again. Honor was allowed to go to Grayson but i suspect that was a special situation in that Grayson was an ally who they were sharing technology with anyway, and two even if it was technically against the rules considering the situation that led to her emigration in the first place, most were smart enough to know that complaining would lead to a very unpleasant conversation with the queen.
Re: Manticore navy veteran emigration?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:51 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Puidwen wrote:How much is allowed? What i mean you give up rights when you join the military. The manticoran navy has a lot of technology they definitely don't want anyone to know about, so it seem somewhat logical that you wouldn't allowed those who have those secrets outside of manticoran space once their civilians again. Honor was allowed to go to Grayson but i suspect that was a special situation in that Grayson was an ally who they were sharing technology with anyway, and two even if it was technically against the rules considering the situation that led to her emigration in the first place, most were smart enough to know that complaining would lead to a very unpleasant conversation with the queen.

I doubt there's actually much restriction. Sure, while you're in the military there'd presumably be rules about where you can go while on leave. But once you're out you get your rights back.

Mind you, you're still bound by whatever laws control classified information. Simply moving to another system doesn't make it legal to share restricted or classified technology or information with your new world. (And I'm sure the briefings you get when you leave the military, or even leave a civilian job where you had classified access, emphasize that point)

But that's just my speculation
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:03 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Puidwen wrote:How much is allowed? What i mean you give up rights when you join the military. The manticoran navy has a lot of technology they definitely don't want anyone to know about, so it seem somewhat logical that you wouldn't allowed those who have those secrets outside of manticoran space once their civilians again. Honor was allowed to go to Grayson but i suspect that was a special situation in that Grayson was an ally who they were sharing technology with anyway, and two even if it was technically against the rules considering the situation that led to her emigration in the first place, most were smart enough to know that complaining would lead to a very unpleasant conversation with the queen.

I doubt there's actually much restriction. Sure, while you're in the military there'd presumably be rules about where you can go while on leave. But once you're out you get your rights back.

Mind you, you're still bound by whatever laws control classified information. Simply moving to another system doesn't make it legal to share restricted or classified technology or information with your new world. (And I'm sure the briefings you get when you leave the military, or even leave a civilian job where you had classified access, emphasize that point)

Manticorian Captains and other midlevel personnel routinely went into the merchant marine, with many relocating permanently to Silesia, all while getting 1/2 pay from the Manty Navy. A good portion of the officers and Sr. enlisted men in Alliance Navies at the beginning of the series were Manty 1/2 pay Sailors seconded to said navies.

How much of this was a "Voluntold" situation and how much was a encouraged side offer, I don't know. Since you would still be in the RMN reserve, I assume you need to inform (and get approval) the RMN as to your plans.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Puidwen   » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:15 am

Puidwen
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:Mind you, you're still bound by whatever laws control classified information. Simply moving to another system doesn't make it legal to share restricted or classified technology or information with your new world. (And I'm sure the briefings you get when you leave the military, or even leave a civilian job where you had classified access, emphasize that point)

What about unwilling coercion? I know that Parnell mention in Echos of Honor that the Peeps had to immunized thier own servicemen against interrogation drugs.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:59 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

There is currently an OTL situation, where a retired US Navy pilot who moved to Australia (US ally) is being charged by the US after allegedly going to China to train their new carrier pilots.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:39 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Manticorian Captains and other midlevel personnel routinely went into the merchant marine, with many relocating permanently to Silesia, all while getting 1/2 pay from the Manty Navy. A good portion of the officers and Sr. enlisted men in Alliance Navies at the beginning of the series were Manty 1/2 pay Sailors seconded to said navies.

How much of this was a "Voluntold" situation and how much was a encouraged side offer, I don't know. Since you would still be in the RMN reserve, I assume you need to inform (and get approval) the RMN as to your plans.

Fair point. While you're at half-pay (or whatever enlisted personnel naval reserve might exist) you're still signed up to be recalled to the navy at need (and may still have some obligation to attend training). As long as you're in the reserves there probably are restrictions on where you can live -- if for no other reason than to make sure you're available to be recalled.

For example I think in the current US military active reservists have to file paperwork ahead of any foreign travel. They're generally not restricted from said travel, but technically permission could be denied. So if they wanted to live overseas they'd at least have to notify the DoD and not be denied permission.
Post by Fox2!   » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:18 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Jonathan_S wrote:
For example I think in the current US military active reservists have to file paperwork ahead of any foreign travel. They're generally not restricted from said travel, but technically permission could be denied. So if they wanted to live overseas they'd at least have to notify the DoD and not be denied permission.

It's not just their status as reservists that requires reporting foreign travel plans. If they have a security clearance, they're supposed to report travel and get briefings. I have heard of people being denied permission to travel by the agency holding their security clearance.
Post by Daryl   » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:24 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I've been retired for years from the Australian Defence Department, where I had a very high security clearance. While working there I had to notify the security people if I was going on international travel. Certain countries were forbidden then and even on retirement.
Fox2! wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:

It's not just their status as reservists that requires reporting foreign travel plans. If they have a security clearance, they're supposed to report travel and get briefings. I have heard of people being denied permission to travel by the agency holding their security clearance.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:22 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Daryl wrote:I've been retired for years from the Australian Defence Department, where I had a very high security clearance. While working there I had to notify the security people if I was going on international travel. Certain countries were forbidden then and even on retirement.

While I was an inactive reservist, work sent me to what was then West Germany. Another reservist told me that if I wanted to go to West Berlin, I would have to get orders (presumably from Air Reserve Personnel Center in Denver) allowing me to do so.
Post by richardinor   » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:30 pm

richardinor
Commander

Back in the 1990's I went to work at Sandia National Lab. When I got my security clearance, I had to sign a paper promising not visit certain countries for 10 years.

Return to Honorverse