Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

anyone start the obvious industry after recontacting Grayson

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
anyone start the obvious industry after recontacting Grayson
Post by Puidwen   » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:23 pm

Puidwen
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I had the odd thought that someone who take one look at Grayson;s situation and start an Mail-order husband industry. For that matter i suspect as big and random as the galaxy is there is probably as least one planet with the opposite problem who would be a good source of males.
Re: anyone start the obvious industry after recontacting Gra
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:55 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Puidwen wrote:I had the odd thought that someone who take one look at Grayson;s situation and start an Mail-order husband industry. For that matter i suspect as big and random as the galaxy is there is probably as least one planet with the opposite problem who would be a good source of males.

:D

Though as a practical matter it'd probably be hard to do that profitably.

tl/dr A shortage of men (relative to women) does not actually equal an economic demand for men; nor does it imply a supply of willing male immigrants; nor the ability to profit from such a trade.

When first (re)discovered in 1703 PD they were a thoroughly backwards place - their tech had revered several centuries from its 314 PD starting point (and the stuff they deliberately left behind and were forced to reinvent was probably further behind than that).

And that's not even getting into how much less open the Church of Humanity Unchained is likely to be to foreign immigrants (at least ones that don't quickly and wholeheartedly convert) back then.

Oh, their their medical tech isn't all that great and you've still got, despite their best efforts, a lot of heavy metal contamination in the food, water, and air -- and unlikely the original colonists new immigrants won't have the same genetic tweaks to increase resistance them. So going to suffer more from that exposure and have obsolete medical tech to treat them for that.

So good luck convincing potential husbands to move there.

Then, they had effectively nothing worth exporting for interstellar trade, and consequently I suspect only tramp freighters stopped there -- and even then probably only one every few years. So if you're in business to profit off transporting potential husbands there's not much you can export to make that profit -- and their currency isn't exactly exchangeable outside the system. (Oh, and their women have even less autonomy and money, so they can't pay much for a husband so you wouldn't have much local currency to convert into exportable goods)

And finally, the native born Grayson men (who have all the political power) aren't likely to be happy with you importing more men -- they probably quite like how things are.

All around an unappetizing combo.

Things do get better - over the next 75 years the wiki estimates (or pulls from an unreferenced source) that their general technology advanced by 800 years. OTOH that still leaves it only half-way caught up to the state of the art of 1863 (i.e. still nearly 800 years out of date). But it's probably not all that appealing a place until around the time they join Manticore's alliance - in 1901. And very shortly thereafter becomes unappetizing again, as just 4 years later they're now on/near the front lines of the largest interstellar war in human history.
Post by kzt   » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:42 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:And very shortly thereafter becomes unappetizing again, as just 4 years later they're now on/near the front lines of the largest interstellar war in human history.

'Join our force, get the girls' has historically proven an effective recruiting tool for many armed formations. Even those where you were not, Viking style, actually carrying off captured women. It has limitations with Grayson, but it has potential for people coming in with useful skills or talents if they are willing to deal with the religious issues. IIRC, they don't insist you believe, they insist you respect and behave.
Post by henry76   » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:44 am

henry76
Midshipman

kzt wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:And very shortly thereafter becomes unappetizing again, as just 4 years later they're now on/near the front lines of the largest interstellar war in human history.

'Join our force, get the girls' has historically proven an effective recruiting tool for many armed formations. Even those where you were not, Viking style, actually carrying off captured women. It has limitations withMinecraft pocket, but it has potential for people coming in with useful skills or talents if they are willing to deal with religious issues. IIRC, they don't insist you believe, they insist you respect and behave.

Thanks for it. Could you tell me how can we join your group and which things are required to join your group?
Thanks
Post by dscott8   » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:10 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Johnathan S made some good points, which made me think that the originally suggested trade would be flipped around. It's much more likely that Grayson would wind up exporting mail-order brides. Just think of the advantages for a Grayson woman:

She gets away from Grayson's poisonous ecosystem.

She goes someplace where women's rights are established.

She goes someplace with better medical care for women and children.

She gets to have an education and a career if she desires it.

She gets to be the one and only woman of the house.

Any man who can afford to pay her way from Grayson can probably support her well.
Post by kzt   » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:32 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I agree. And that is likely to go very bad. I’m thinking of Moldavian young woman and girls who left to get jobs in Europe that much too often turned into being someone’s sex slave.

Return to Honorverse