Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Descent of (Wo)Man

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Descent of (Wo)Man
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:38 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Is the actual ancestry of Kapitanin von Stern Hansen in A Call to Insurrection left deliberately ambiguous? Was she actiually the elder daughter of Gustav Anderman, or were the proofs Major Strausman offered as fake as his loyalty to the Empire?
Re: Descent of (Wo)Man
Post by Theemile   » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:40 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:Is the actual ancestry of Kapitanin von Stern Hansen in A Call to Insurrection left deliberately ambiguous? Was she actiually the elder daughter of Gustav Anderman, or were the proofs Major Strausman offered as fake as his loyalty to the Empire?

I believe she had a legitimate right to the crown, and would have been accepted as a member of the family (though probably not the emperor at that point), but her actions proved she could not be trusted, nor had the temperament to lead the empire - seeing that her actions killed thousands of the Empire's loyal subjects, not to mention wasted the empire's resources.

If she didn't have a claim, I believe the new emperor would have simply said so.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:03 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:I believe she had a legitimate right to the crown, and would have been accepted as a member of the family (though probably not the emperor at that point), but her actions proved she could not be trusted, nor had the temperament to lead the empire - seeing that her actions killed thousands of the Empire's loyal subjects, not to mention wasted the empire's resources.

If she didn't have a claim, I believe the new emperor would have simply said so.

Maybe it hadn't been settled at this time, but we know that by Honor's time the Andermani crown had been settled on only passing to sons, not daughters. So she wouldn't have had a claim in later years.

Not that it prevented a daughter from actually acceding to the throne once. Gustav VII declared herself legally a man and took control of the empire, avoiding a civil war.
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:48 am

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Maybe it hadn't been settled at this time, but we know that by Honor's time the Andermani crown had been settled on only passing to sons, not daughters. So she wouldn't have had a claim in later years.

Not that it prevented a daughter from actually acceding to the throne once. Gustav VII declared herself legally a man and took control of the empire, avoiding a civil war.

It's mentioned in the text, and again during Andrew's interview with Hanson, that the Basic Law of the Anderman Empire, modeled after the Basic Law of the Prussian German Empire, only allowed males to inherit the throne. Even if she was the daughter of Gustav I, she could not inherit his throne.

Duh (refers to my use of Prussian Empire, vs German Empire. Although we know the the German Empire (so-called) was actually the Prussian Empire. As shown in the anti-Catholic Kulturekampf.).

Return to Honorverse