Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Michelle Henke's Succession Rank Change

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Michelle Henke's Succession Rank Change
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:42 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Puidwen wrote:
Fox2! wrote:
Michael, who was Beth's "spare", was out gallivanting around Masada for his snotty cruise. Being tasked to support the Foreign Ministry mission to Masada, in addition to his normal 30 hour a day snotty duties.

True, but i didn't say that the royal family wouldn't risk their heirs (they do it all the time). The key word in that sentance is snotty. If he serves another 40 years would he be allowed to keep serving? I'm speculating as practical matter, prehaps not.

IIRC, Michael is now the equivalent of the J-6 (Communications and Electronics) for the RMN as either a Rear Admiral or a Vice Admiral. As a non-Tactical track officer, I expect he's got that job until he tires of it. Then it would be one of the higher numbered Space Lords. He might get a Station command in between, but those have a nasty habit of turning into combat assignments. See Talbot Quadrant, Marsh, Basilisk, Hancock, etc. Lynx came close.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:58 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:IIRC, Michael is now the equivalent of the J-6 (Communications and Electronics) for the RMN as either a Rear Admiral or a Vice Admiral. As a non-Tactical track officer, I expect he's got that job until he tires of it. Then it would be one of the higher numbered Space Lords. He might get a Station command in between, but those have a nasty habit of turning into combat assignments. See Talbot Quadrant, Marsh, Basilisk, Hancock, etc. Lynx came close.

Well, if they wanted to give him an easy and safe job, they'd probably make him a liaison with the IAN and send him to New Berlin for a while. That should be safe... except if the emperor dies and there's a call to insurrection... that has happened. Ok, maybe not so safe.

The RMN has no "safe" posts. If you can't handle the situation if it turns sour, you shouldn't be there in the first place.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:28 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Fox2! wrote:IIRC, Michael is now the equivalent of the J-6 (Communications and Electronics) for the RMN as either a Rear Admiral or a Vice Admiral. As a non-Tactical track officer, I expect he's got that job until he tires of it. Then it would be one of the higher numbered Space Lords. He might get a Station command in between, but those have a nasty habit of turning into combat assignments. See Talbot Quadrant, Marsh, Basilisk, Hancock, etc. Lynx came close.

Well, if they wanted to give him an easy and safe job, they'd probably make him a liaison with the IAN and send him to New Berlin for a while. That should be safe... except if the emperor dies and there's a call to insurrection... that has happened. Ok, maybe not so safe.

The RMN has no "safe" posts. If you can't handle the situation if it turns sour, you shouldn't be there in the first place.

I think Michael would reject any pandering or special treatment in position or role, or even the scent there of. It's not as if the royal replacement pool is shallow and Elizabeth is frail and unwell. Mike and Michael chose a naval career, and expect to be just as vulnerable as any of their compatriots.

If he was steered to such a "safe" post, He would probably expect that part of the role was as a "Special" ambassador in Elizabeth's name, just like Mike's role in Talbott is partially intended to be viewed as the Winton Royal family's direct interest in the success of the quadrant.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Louis R   » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:19 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

theemile's reading of Michael's character is pretty similar to my own - you will recall that he ended up in Endicott in the first place as a reaction to what he perceived as favourable treatment. mistakenly, in fact, as I think it was actually an attempt to draft him into Project Gram.

And it's very much worth bearing in mind that in the RMN, unlike many contemporary fleets, non-tactical != non-command. There's a chap name of Webster will be happy to remind anyone who's forgotten that detail.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

Theemile wrote:I think Michael would reject any pandering or special treatment in position or role, or even the scent there of. It's not as if the royal replacement pool is shallow and Elizabeth is frail and unwell. Mike and Michael chose a naval career, and expect to be just as vulnerable as any of their compatriots.

If he was steered to such a "safe" post, He would probably expect that part of the role was as a "Special" ambassador in Elizabeth's name, just like Mike's role in Talbott is partially intended to be viewed as the Winton Royal family's direct interest in the success of the quadrant.
Post by saber964   » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:43 am

saber964
Admiral

Puidwen wrote:I'm wondering now just how long certain heirs would be allowed to serve. I feel like, as a practical matter, at some point you have to worry more about the line of succession then anything else. You don't want a King Ralph situation. She's serve at least 40 years so she's learned the meaning of military service. I kinda suspect given all that she would be quietly urged to retired. For that matter if i recall right while it's preferred, it's not the only form of service the royals accept. I think the Foreign Office was mention in one of the books? As another practical matter if she's in the military she's not likely to be on Manticore, for let's call it Royal Training. Something i'm sure someone would insist on if she's really that close to the throne.

Prince Michael has been doing foreign office work on an as needed basis. Like his trips to Torch and Erewon. He also likely did a diplomatic trip to Grayson shortly after the treaty was signed. Given his wife is from Grayson. Plus all the ships transferred to Grayson.

Return to Honorverse