Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 106 guests

Pod layers.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Pod layers.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:13 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Theemile wrote:Actually, McKeon had Honor's reloads with him, so he could have had the ammo ships transit with him and Kusak's fleet to Manticore. There, they could have grabbed apollo and non-apollo pods from the ammo carriers, other ammo carriers at the terminus, and the terminus defenses and carried them externally into battle. We've already determined that non Apollo ships can carry apollo pods for apollo ships (Spear Carriers), so dozens of Kusak's ships could have helped carry the Apollo loads.

There probably hadn't been time to load those pods on the ships lining up for transit ASAP. It must have taken 2 hours, but Kuzak's ships already had limpeted pods; they'd have had to jettison those and then add others. I don't suppose this can be done on-the-fly or at a significant quantity. Though whatever little they could do on the last 10 SDs could have made a difference.

<snip>

Kusak had no limpeted pods, that was Homefleet. That is the problem, her ships waiting for others to queue through the Junction COULD have limpeted pods, but they didn't. They didn't even roll their own pods in advance and limpet them. As I said, Kusak played this like it was 1912 and she had normal SDs and didn't use any of the manty warfare multipliers.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:20 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
tlb wrote:It was not enough to say that Haven probably would not attack, despite it being shown that Apollo was a game changer. It was the duty of the Admiralty to worry about the worst case, of Haven being so desperate that they would attack before it could be fully implemented. There were danger signs, in the delay of the system defense option; so why weren't regular Apollo pods issued to serve for defense?

Presumably because it was brand new system and the production lines hadn't generated massive surpluses of the pods yet. Initial operational use of Apollo until the Battle of Manticore was only a couple of months. And now that I went and looked I didn't realize quite how limited its availability really was!

When they first contemplated sending 8th fleet back out with Apollo, to show that Solon hadn't pulled their teeth they didn't even have enough build for the existing ships in 8th fleet to carry full loads of them -- much less have any reloads!

At All Costs - Ch. 52 wrote:at the moment, only Eighth Fleet is really equipped to handle them, and even they have only partial loadouts on the new pods. We're attempting to get into full production on them as quickly as possible, but we've hit some bottlenecks, and security issues have restricted the number of production facilities we could commit to them

And then after Lovat (which shot away a good chunk of the Apollo birds they'd brought there) when they looked at a follow-up against Jouett there had been enough production refill the fleet's pod bays again; plus a little extra
At All Costs - Ch. 60 wrote:we're getting a handle on the production bottlenecks we've been experiencing. We're going to have a lot more of the Mistletoe-modified drones available, starting in about three weeks, and production of the Apollo pods and control platforms is beginning to accelerate, as well. We've got enough now to completely re-ammunition your command and began establishing a modest stockpile to support your operations.
(This said within hours of Imperators return from Lovat -- so the "re-ammunition" is just to top up whatever they shot off at Lovat plus swap out any remaining non-Apollo pods they might have had to bring on that op. It's not an extra full reload in addition to a full pod-load already aboard.

In the weeks that follow that return Manticore got at least 22 IAN SD(P)s out of their Keyhole II refit, and seemingly scrounged up Apollo loads for them -- that was the Task Force 16 that joined 8th fleet just over a week before the BoM (and more than doubled its force of Keyhole II SD(P)s.

There just weren't ammo dumps full of Apollo missiles to hand out - basically they'd have had maybe 8 weeks worth of production; outside of what was in 8th fleet's pod bays. That's not much, and most of it would have been at Trevor's Star in the ammo ships of 8th Fleet's logistics train.

Actually, BoMa was just at the point they got their hands on the issues and got the Apollo supply chain fixed. Remember, this is also the point where they installed Apollo in Manticore B and swapped out all the pods there for Apollo ones AND they had enough to replace Honor's war shots AND arm 22 new Andermani ships and their reload carriers. And next month, They were to start rearming Sphinx with the Apollo missiles.

Whoops.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:06 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
Kusak had no limpeted pods, that was Homefleet. That is the problem, her ships waiting for others to queue through the Junction COULD have limpeted pods, but they didn't. They didn't even roll their own pods in advance and limpet them. As I said, Kusak played this like it was 1912 and she had normal SDs and didn't use any of the manty warfare multipliers.

That’s what happens when the Admiral passes around the crack pipe in the command center.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:27 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Channelling current Russian military command?
kzt wrote:
Theemile wrote:

That’s what happens when the Admiral passes around the crack pipe in the command center.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:12 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Channelling current Russian military command?

I Remember a quote about the first Gulf War, it went something like this.

"Watching the American Buildup, the Iraqi generals referenced the manuals of Soviet tactics included with their tanks, and designed their defenses using those principles to a tee.

The Americans, watching remotely, saw the Iraqi deployments and referenced them in their copies of the same Soviet manuals while planning their offensives, and giggled."
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:43 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

The problem I have with the Battle of Manticore is that D'Orville / Home Fleet had an option that would have stopped Tourville from deploying pods hardly at all, and no time for the Donkeys Start early sending salvo(s) that the Haven SD(Ps) have to keep stopping, i.e. a long string of not much designed to do much damage to the SD's EXCEPT... every time the RH podlayers would have tried to deploy pods, RMN missiles nukes go off and -kaboom- fry the suckers. With just enough shipkillers just to keep the game interesting.

It's the MDM version of what Minotaur did to the Haven forces using her LACs at 2nd Hancock. Took away the ability for the RH ships to deploy their hammer, leaving the screwdrivers to TRY to match the RMN hammers coming from all sides.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by kzt   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:50 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:The problem I have with the Battle of Manticore is that D'Orville / Home Fleet had an option that would have stopped Tourville from deploying pods hardly at all, and no time for the Donkeys Start early sending salvo(s) that the Haven SD(Ps) have to keep stopping, i.e. a long string of not much designed to do much damage to the SD's EXCEPT... every time the RH podlayers would have tried to deploy pods, RMN missiles nukes go off and -kaboom- fry the suckers. With just enough shipkillers just to keep the game interesting.

It's the MDM version of what Minotaur did to the Haven forces using her LACs at 2nd Hancock. Took away the ability for the RH ships to deploy their hammer, leaving the screwdrivers to TRY to match the RMN hammers coming from all sides.

Well, sure. Next you are going to be suggesting that maybe they should have launched recon drones when they first detected the attack. And why would they want to do that? Doesn't everyone love surprises? :roll:
Post by tlb   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:29 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:The problem I have with the Battle of Manticore is that D'Orville / Home Fleet had an option that would have stopped Tourville from deploying pods hardly at all, and no time for the Donkeys Start early sending salvo(s) that the Haven SD(Ps) have to keep stopping, i.e. a long string of not much designed to do much damage to the SD's EXCEPT... every time the RH podlayers would have tried to deploy pods, RMN missiles nukes go off and -kaboom- fry the suckers. With just enough shipkillers just to keep the game interesting.

I am not sure how you figure that; flight time was over 7 minutes, so Tourville's ships had plenty of time to react to any missile launch and those launches were NOT coming from "all sides".

From chapter 65 of At All Costs:
The range at launch was 65,770,000 kilometers. Flight time for Home Fleet's faster MDMs was 7.6 minutes, and their closing speed as they streaked into Second Fleet's teeth was 246,972 kilometers per second. Second Fleet's slower missiles took fifteen more seconds to reach their targets, and had a closing speed of "only" 237,655 KPS.

As for recon drones; they are much slower, but the forts at Sphinx could have deployed some. I am not sure what difference it would make , since Home Fleet only has what it has. If only they had tractored Apollo pods, instead of the regular pods that they were issued.
Post by kzt   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:27 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:As for recon drones; they are much slower, but the forts at Sphinx could have deployed some. I am not sure what difference it would make , since Home Fleet only has what it has. If only they had tractored Apollo pods, instead of the regular pods that they were issued.

Well, I'm kind of thinking that even David would find it hard to have the drug addled dolts he substituted in for the admirals at BoM not reacting to the images showing hundreds of SDs each deploying hundreds of pods.

You know, the recon drones that can get close enough to a fleet to read the name painted on the hull without being detected?

Which is why they 'forgot' to send out recon drones in the several hours the fleets were closing in.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:21 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Though I'd point out that Home Fleet's firepower is more vulnerable to anti-stacking attacks than Tourville's is.

Home Fleet had a significant fraction of its wallers being old pre-pod designs whose only long range firepower was externally limpeted pods of Mk23s. :O (As most SDs had not been through the expensive refit to upgrade their internal tubes from SDM to MDM)

If Home Fleet starts a stream of long range harassing fire to disrupt attempts to stack salvos then Tourville is almost certainly going to respond in kind. And, while harassing fire would force Tourville to fire without stacking or keep pods internal for later use, that same kind of fire is going to rapidly strip Home Fleet of most of its long range punch by destroying those externally limpeted pods. :O

So, on the whole, I'm not sure this would actually have been much more effective. Yes, Home Fleet now shouldn't die to a single Alpha Strike; OTOH, by the time everybody reaches effective ranges the sustained firepower advantage is going to lean far more heavily in Tourville's favor with Home Fleet's legacy wallers now good only for tanking damage.

Return to Honorverse