Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

E-arc for What Price Victory

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
E-arc for What Price Victory
Post by Dauntless   » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:36 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

For anyone who missed it.

The e-arc for What Price Victory? the latest short story book was released yesterday.
Re: E-arc for What Price Victory
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:For anyone who missed it.

The e-arc for What Price Victory? the latest short story book was released yesterday.

It seems the hardback is already out? How did the hardback beat the e-arc?

Question. On the book cover it mentions Jan Kotouc. I researched it and it appears that he is a Czech author. Is that the same character in the books? Does that character have something to do with the author of the same name?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:31 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It seems the hardback is already out? How did the hardback beat the e-arc?

Why do you think that? The hardback can be reserved now, but only the e-arc is available to be read.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:48 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Question. On the book cover it mentions Jan Kotouc. I researched it and it appears that he is a Czech author. Is that the same character in the books? Does that character have something to do with the author of the same name?

The character of RMN Admiral Jan Kotouč is named after the real-life person, like the SLN ONI director Charles E. Gannon.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:11 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Dauntless wrote:For anyone who missed it.

I don't buy e-arcs (I do buy the Webscriptions). However, I did look at the sample (which included the table of contents) and it looks like my hypothesis on the subject of Weber's story is wrong (it is the last story which suggests that it takes place after all other stories in the collection). If my hypothesis was correct, it would had been the first, before the Gensonne's origin story.

BTW, AFAICT, with one exception, all stories in each volume are sequential in date. The one exception is "Let's Dance" in _In Fire Forged_ (_WoH_#5) where it was the 3rd story when it should had been the first (maybe 2nd).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:38 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I don't buy e-arcs (I do buy the Webscriptions). However, I did look at the sample (which included the table of contents) and it looks like my hypothesis on the subject of Weber's story is wrong (it is the last story which suggests that it takes place after all other stories in the collection). If my hypothesis was correct, it would had been the first, before the Gensonne's origin story.

BTW, AFAICT, with one exception, all stories in each volume are sequential in date. The one exception is "Let's Dance" in _In Fire Forged_ (_WoH_#5) where it was the 3rd story when it should had been the first (maybe 2nd).

Yeah, so I wouldn't take the order of the book as meaning that they are chronological at all. Can you check if they are in alphabetical order by author's surname? Z comes after W, but Tim Zahn's story is co-written with Tom Pope.

I do think that David's will be Alfred Harrington's marine story, whether they are chronological or not.
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:It seems the hardback is already out? How did the hardback beat the e-arc?

Why do you think that? The hardback can be reserved now, but only the e-arc is available to be read.

Sorry, tlb, I misunderstood the Amazon website which was taking preorders.

Anyway, personally I am hoping I can finally exhale. My bated breath has been holding out for this particular story.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:15 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:The character of RMN Admiral Jan Kotouč is named after the real-life person, like the SLN ONI director Charles E. Gannon.

Gannon has a story in an anthology on Baen's new books list.
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:The character of RMN Admiral Jan Kotouč is named after the real-life person, like the SLN ONI director Charles E. Gannon.

Gannon has a story in an anthology on Baen's new books list.

When will we see spoilers?

Post by Fox2!   » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:26 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:
Fox2! wrote:Gannon has a story in an anthology on Baen's new books list.

When will we see spoilers?

Sorry, ambiguous indirect. Charles E. Gannon, the author, has a story in an anthology on Baen's new book page, not Charles E. Gannon, SLN/IN. (I know, USAF office symbol. Would SLN/N2 be better?)

Return to Honorverse