Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 155 guests

How does Honor know so much?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How does Honor know so much?
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:53 am

Fox2!
Commodore

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Who else in Honor's family was in the Navy?

Fox2! wrote:Stephanie ended up commanding the Sphinx Forestry Service. I don't remember seeing any other Harringtons mentioned in any of the other story lines set in the time between the discovery of the treecats and the Alfred's service in the RMMC in the back story of In the Beginning.

And we know that her mother's side were mainly doctors on Beowulf. However the uncle was someone important in the Beowulf System-Defense Force.

Jacque Benton-Ramirez y Chou was an officer in the Beowulf Biological Survey Corps (BSC), which was not part of the Beowulf SDF. BSC was a special operations force primarily devoted to taking down Manpower and other manifestations of genetic slavery.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:38 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Surgeon Commodore Alfred Harrington.

Fox2! wrote:Stephanie ended up commanding the Sphinx Forestry Service. I don't remember seeing any other Harringtons mentioned in any of the other story lines set in the time between the discovery of the treecats and the Alfred's service in the RMMC in the back story of In the Beginning.

We haven't got anyone in-between in any of the stories.

Although twice in the SK books we hear her friends inner monologues thinking that Stephanie should be a fleet commander.
Post by tlb   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:36 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:However I do not understand why someone would scuttle a sub that can still move underwater under its own power. Conversely if it cannot move under its own power, then you scuttle wherever it is; even if it is a harbor, such as Scapa Flow. The important thing is to destroy the cryptographic materials. Don't they have thermite for that?

Loren Pechtel wrote:If you have power but not range (say, a lack of fuel) and do not want the enemy getting their hands on it.

cthia wrote:It could also have no weapons and is surrounded by enemy ships.

Loren Pechtel's response is valid; but you do NOT scuttle a ship that has a chance to escape, just because it has used up its weapons. The correct response is to submerge and try to sneak out of the encirclement. If the ships damage the sub anyway, then you might have a decision to make (assuming the damage is such that you even have a choice).
Post by tlb   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:38 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Surgeon Commodore Alfred Harrington.

Cthia had already conceded that her father was in the Navy and was asking WHO ELSE was military.
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Surgeon Commodore Alfred Harrington.

Cthia had already conceded that her father was in the Navy and was asking WHO ELSE was military.

Thanks. I wanted to know if there was a significant list of role models she had to draw from? As is the case with many decorated war veterans.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I was curious about the nominal level of education of a Captain or Admiral. Should, does, either have at least a BS degree?

From the Net ...
Quora, Wallace Wikoff, former Avionics Technician at US Navy (1961 - 1965) wrote:Currently a college degree is a prerequisite for becoming an officer. All officers who come through the Naval Academy or NROTC graduate with a degree before they get their commission. Having a degree is a prerequisite for entering Naval Officer Candidate School. These are the only three means of acquiring a line officer commission, so if people with Bachelor's degree started as LTJGs, there would be no ensigns. The. Same is true for the other services, where every line officer starts as an O-1.

There are several reasons why non-line officers such as doctors and lawyers may come in at a higher tank. Probably the most important is that they already have specialized expertise that requires an advanced degree. That advanced degree substitutes for the on-the-job training line officers will get before promotion.

Another reason is pay. The military has to compete with the private sector for doctors, lawyers chaplains. If the military can't provide comparable pay for o what these folks can get in the private sector, there is little incentive for a lawyer, doctor or chaplain to go into the military. Military base pay is based on just 2 things - rank and time in service. Everyone with the same rank and same time in service gets the same base pay. Therefore, to provide the higher pay, a higher tank has to be provided.

Finally, junior military doctors, lawyers and chaplains don't have the personnel leadership responsibilities line-officers have. Line officer promotion is dependent, in part, on demonstration of increasing leadership ability. Since lawyers, doctors and chaplains don't have to demonstrate that ability but instead have to have professional knowledge, it makes sense to start them at a higher pay grade in recognition of the processional knowledge they have at acquisition.

Not in my day (early 1970s). The only way to join at above the rank of Ensign was to have a law degree, be a dentist or an RN or possibly an MD. There may have been other excepting as well but none of which I am aware.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:55 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I was curious about the nominal level of education of a Captain or Admiral. Should, does, either have at least a BS degree?

In addition to the requirement for a bachelors degree to be an officer, there is an additional requirement to get an masters degree to advance to the higher ranks such as Captain or Admiral. I did not find how rigid that requirement is, but the promotion boards definitely give attention to it.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:11 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Cthia had already conceded that her father was in the Navy and was asking WHO ELSE was military.

We've never been told. Honor and Alfred have been pretty quiet about their family in all the stories. We don't even know Alfred's parents' names or whether they were alive when Honor was a child. Unlike Allison's side of the family, they've never come up. Even Devon Harrington, a cousin, barely gets a single speaking line in the entire series. But his existence tells us that Alfred had cousins too, if not a younger sibling.

We do know that Honor wanted to go into the Navy at a very early age, from her "Best Laid Plains" (which Nimitz nearly screwed up by adopting her). Her father had been a marine non-com and was a Navy officer, so she had a role model. She'd probably have had more role models than just her father, but those don't need to have been family. She was born after King Roger III had begun the modernisation and expansion of the Navy, so that career was in prestige at the time. In fact, the royal family was itself a role model and had been providing Navy officers for at least 3 T-centuries.
Post by tlb   » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:10 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Cthia had already conceded that her father was in the Navy and was asking WHO ELSE was military.

ThinksMarkedly wrote: We do know that Honor wanted to go into the Navy at a very early age, from her "Best Laid Plains" (which Nimitz nearly screwed up by adopting her). Her father had been a marine non-com and was a Navy officer, so she had a role model. She'd probably have had more role models than just her father, but those don't need to have been family. She was born after King Roger III had begun the modernisation and expansion of the Navy, so that career was in prestige at the time. In fact, the royal family was itself a role model and had been providing Navy officers for at least 3 T-centuries.

We do know from chapter 3 of Honor among Enemies that she idolized her Uncle Jacques:
"Uncle Jacques?"
"My mom's older brother. He came out from Beowulf to visit us for about a year when I was, oh, twelve T-years old, and he belongs to the Society for Creative Anachronisms. They're a weird group that enjoys recreating the past the way it ought to have been. Uncle Jacques' own favorite period was the second-century Ante Diaspora—uh, that would be the twentieth-century," she added, since Grayson still used the ancient Gregorian calendar "—and he was Planetary Reserve Grand Pistol Champion that year. He's just as handsome as Mother is beautiful, too, and I adored him." She rolled her eyes with a grin. "I followed him around like a love-struck puppy, which must have been maddening, but he never showed it. Instead, he taught me to shoot what he called real guns, and"—she chuckled—"Nimitz didn't like the muzzle blast then, either."
Even though I got the force wrong, he was a part of Beowulf's armed forces.
Post by cthia   » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:I was curious about the nominal level of education of a Captain or Admiral. Should, does, either have at least a BS degree?

In addition to the requirement for a bachelors degree to be an officer, there is an additional requirement to get an masters degree to advance to the higher ranks such as Captain or Admiral. I did not find how rigid that requirement is, but the promotion boards definitely give attention to it.

Before researching it, I had guessed the requirement of a masters degree for Captain and doctorate for Admiral. Shrug.

But did Honor have a masters? She could have acquired one by mail eventually. And she could have taken advantage of her time teaching at Saganami to advance her education. But I don't recall textev telling us about it formally.

Return to Honorverse