Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests

How does Honor know so much?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: How does Honor know so much?
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:51 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:And still wouldn't be able to read information classified above his clearance level, such as "Captain's Eyes Only." He'd be able to see the meta-data (envelope information) on the message and determine that it had such classification, but not open and read the contents.

Well, based on a recent video about Michael Walker, who did not have a security clearance when stole dozens of highly classified documents - for which he got $1,000 and 25 years, he can probably do more than that
Post by tlb   » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:09 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:And still wouldn't be able to read information classified above his clearance level, such as "Captain's Eyes Only." He'd be able to see the meta-data (envelope information) on the message and determine that it had such classification, but not open and read the contents.

kzt wrote:Well, based on a recent video about Michael Walker, who did not have a security clearance when stole dozens of highly classified documents - for which he got $1,000 and 25 years, he can probably do more than that

The main figure in the case was John Anthony Walker, Micheal's father. John plea bargained to get that 25 year sentence for his son (said have had a minor role and who also agreed to testify). From Wikipedia:
Walker cooperated somewhat with authorities, enough to form a plea bargain that reduced the sentence for his son. He agreed to submit to an unchallenged conviction and life sentence, to provide a full disclosure of the details of his spying and to testify against Whitworth in exchange for a pledge from the prosecutors that the maximum sentence requested for Michael was 25 years imprisonment
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I know Manticorans are well trained, but a Captain having that much engineering knowledge seems incredible to me.

. . . duh :o

She's an Alpha.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:12 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:She's an Alpha.

Ever hear people talking about nuc school and submarine qualification? They expect you to know, as a start, where every important valve in the sub is and what it does.
Post by tlb   » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:23 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I know Manticorans are well trained, but a Captain having that much engineering knowledge seems incredible to me.

cthia wrote:She's an Alpha.

I was unhappy with that thought when I read it in one of the books, but I am not sure this was intended by the author to be true or intended to just be something that the Malign told itself. Because if intended to be true, then the original Detweiler vision has succeeded in a way.

I much prefer this exposition in From the Highlands:
The face belonged to the old man, the one he had tried to disable with a kick.
The man spoke. His voice was soft and low. "I used to be a biologist, Kennesaw, before I decided to concentrate on my art. What you're seeing here is an illustration of the fallacy of Platonic thinking applied to evolutionary principles."
The words were pure gibberish. Something of Kennesaw's confusion must have shown, because the face emitted a slight chuckle.
"It's sometimes called 'population thinking,' Kennesaw. A pity you never learned to apply those methods. Instead, you made the classic mistake of categorizing people into abstract types instead of recognizing their concrete variations."
Gibberish. Another chuckle.
"You're only a 'superman,' Kennesaw, if you compare the average of the Sacred Band to the average of the rest of humanity. Unfortunately, you're now in the hands of two men who, in different ways, vary quite widely from the norm. Partly because of our own genetic background, and partly due to training and habit."
The almond-shaped eyes moved slightly, looking past Kennesaw's own head. "I'm not sure how well this is going to work. I'm sure he's got an absolutely phenomenal pain threshold."
Finally, Kennesaw heard the monster speak. "Don't care," came a hoarse grunt. "I'm sure he was one of the men who took her, which means there'll be traces of where they went somewhere in the apartment."
The Oriental face frowned. "Then why—"
Even as dazed as he was, the brief exchange made clear to Kennesaw the identity of his assailants. He managed some grunting words of his own. "You crazy, Z'wicki? Anyt'in' happen t'me, 'ey'll kill 'er."
The clasp tightened, and Kennesaw couldn't prevent a low groan.
"I don't think so. As sloppy as you people are, they'll just assume you're goofing off somewhere. How would I know you were involved?"
Despite the crushing pain, some part of Kennesaw's brain was still functioning objectively. So he understood the incredible strength which lay behind those words. Precious few, if any, of the Select themselves would have been able to so completely immobilize Kennesaw. Much less, at the same time, manage to speak in what was almost a normal tone of voice!
"And you've already told me the only thing I really needed to know from you," continued the hoarse voice from behind. "I'm not cold-blooded enough to kill a man I'm not sure is guilty."
It took a moment for the meaning to register on Kennesaw. He tried to grunt another warning, but the hoarse voice overrode his words.
"This is called a full nelson, Scrag. It's an illegal maneuver in tournament wrestling. Here's why."
In the brief time that followed, Kennesaw understood some of what the little Oriental had been trying to explain to him. Variation. He never would have believed that any subhuman would have been strong enough to—
The point is that I would prefer that victory came from the natural variation of the species, rather than some artificial cause. Although that is rather foolish of me in Honor's case, since her genetic material had already received an artificial change with the heavy planet strength and intelligence boost of the Meyerdahl-B modifications.

So I will content myself thought that what constitutes an Alpha, Beta or Gamma has been changing as the result of experiments and improvements. If one of Honor's ancestors really was an Alpha at that time; that person might not even be considered a Gamma by now, because of those incremental improvements made since then.
Post by Somtaaw   » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:15 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

The only thing Honor's Alpha line history seems to be in connection with the Meyerdahl mods, because that old Harrington member suddenly decided to move himself, his wife and let's assume they were childless at the time of move*.

We have Henke's thoughts from I believe it was either Shadows of Freedom or Storm from Shadows, where she muses about Honor being a fitness fanatic (even for a heavy-grav worlder) while Henke had to watch what she ate. But several times in earlier books, we also had Honor's thoughts about the same, that she wasn't close to a fanatic but she did MAKE the time to workout whether weight-lifting (which she hated), swimming or gymnastics were her preference. So we have clear history Honor MADE time to fulfill her duty, of which there's probably something in the Manticoran Officer training about "a healthy body is a healthy mind".

As we were told, through Alison Harringtons lecture, the Meyerdahl's have a touch higher IQ , but they also had to pay a price elsewhere in intelligence. So anywhere in IQ that Honor gained higher positives (her tactical and kinesthetic senses?) she also gained higher negatives, her abysmal Math on demand skills perhaps?

But Honor is also not massively above/ahead of the curve on knowledge, many other captains have proved to be just as insightful in similar ways that are outside the Tactical field.
  • Warner Caslet had a surprisingly high knowledge not just of medical but psychology (when he picked up the Bonaventure crew he KNEW exactly what Chris Hurlman was doing and why).
  • Aivars Terekhov has a large functional knowledge of his ships, both the Hexapuma and as the flag officer on Quentin (neither class he had prior experience with), how else could he know just where/how to try to keep Helen properly occupied, not to mention his prior service in the Foreign Service
  • Scotty Tremaine (with the modest assistance from Harkness ofc) knows more than a fair bit about 'his' ship. He's barely out of the rank he would gleefully strip off his tunic and dug into the work himself to help out. (much like the McKeon his ship is named for, from OBS prior to Honor taking command was getting HIS hands dirty, repeatedly)

So Honor having a few ideas about combining Tactical and Engineering, while out of the box and wild, are clearly not something exclusive to her, and therefore not just an Alpha thing. But it DOES seem to be something exclusive to only Captains who take their duties seriously, not those who are just in it for the perks. List of whom includes Elvis Santino, Pavel Young, various other Janacek Cronies, various People's Navy lazy captains & admirals, etc.

*As a child would occupy a seat on any shuttle that an adult could have occupied. Manticore desired people but people who could work RIGHT THEN, not in ~20-30 T-years time, and so the cost of bringing a kid with you would up the cost. Since the Harringtons were Yeomen, they'd paid their full cost of seat, with perhaps a little left over to pay for that huge chunk of land on Sphinx they've lived on since.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:18 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:*As a child would occupy a seat on any shuttle that an adult could have occupied. Manticore desired people but people who could work RIGHT THEN, not in ~20-30 T-years time, and so the cost of bringing a kid with you would up the cost. Since the Harringtons were Yeomen, they'd paid their full cost of seat, with perhaps a little left over to pay for that huge chunk of land on Sphinx they've lived on since.

Stephanie Harrington wasn't even conceived on the way. She was born on Meyerdahl and lived there for some 10 T-years before the move. She was anticipating joining the Meyerdahl Forestry Service, which means she'd begun to have opinions, and she had friends she remembered and even corresponded with after the move. She compared the weather on Sphinx with the one on Meyerdahl, and she had to be reminded that the woods on Sphinx weren't like the preserves she'd been used to on Meyedahl.

It does make sense the MAlign would test on Meyerdahl, though. Because it was a heavy-gravity planet, a lot of the residents were genies themselves, so the populace would be used to maybe a few different traits. The laws of the system may have even allowed some limited modification to correct for drift or so.

We're not even sure it was Richard or Marjorie Harrington this purported member of the Alignment. We're told that sometimes the Alignment would skip a generation in keeping contact, so it's possible it was one or more of Richard or Marjorie's parents. If it was one of the parents, then neither Richard or Marjorie would know that there was a conspiracy. I've read the SK books with an eye to this detail and, so far, nowhere in any of the 4 books do the parents even hint at it.
Post by Somtaaw   » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:25 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:*As a child would occupy a seat on any shuttle that an adult could have occupied. Manticore desired people but people who could work RIGHT THEN, not in ~20-30 T-years time, and so the cost of bringing a kid with you would up the cost. Since the Harringtons were Yeomen, they'd paid their full cost of seat, with perhaps a little left over to pay for that huge chunk of land on Sphinx they've lived on since.

Stephanie Harrington wasn't even conceived on the way. She was born on Meyerdahl and lived there for some 10 T-years before the move. She was anticipating joining the Meyerdahl Forestry Service, which means she'd begun to have opinions, and she had friends she remembered and even corresponded with after the move. She compared the weather on Sphinx with the one on Meyerdahl, and she had to be reminded that the woods on Sphinx weren't like the preserves she'd been used to on Meyedahl.

It does make sense the MAlign would test on Meyerdahl, though. Because it was a heavy-gravity planet, a lot of the residents were genies themselves, so the populace would be used to maybe a few different traits. The laws of the system may have even allowed some limited modification to correct for drift or so.

We're not even sure it was Richard or Marjorie Harrington this purported member of the Alignment. We're told that sometimes the Alignment would skip a generation in keeping contact, so it's possible it was one or more of Richard or Marjorie's parents. If it was one of the parents, then neither Richard or Marjorie would know that there was a conspiracy. I've read the SK books with an eye to this detail and, so far, nowhere in any of the 4 books do the parents even hint at it.

My mistake, I could have sworn Stephanie was an on-Sphinx birth. I haven't really read much of the SK or other precursor books, I should set aside some time and reading them and the Manticore Ascendant
Post by cthia   » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:The only thing Honor's Alpha line history seems to be in connection with the Meyerdahl mods, because that old Harrington member suddenly decided to move himself, his wife and let's assume they were childless at the time of move*.

We have Henke's thoughts from I believe it was either Shadows of Freedom or Storm from Shadows, where she muses about Honor being a fitness fanatic (even for a heavy-grav worlder) while Henke had to watch what she ate. But several times in earlier books, we also had Honor's thoughts about the same, that she wasn't close to a fanatic but she did MAKE the time to workout whether weight-lifting (which she hated), swimming or gymnastics were her preference. So we have clear history Honor MADE time to fulfill her duty, of which there's probably something in the Manticoran Officer training about "a healthy body is a healthy mind".

As we were told, through Alison Harringtons lecture, the Meyerdahl's have a touch higher IQ , but they also had to pay a price elsewhere in intelligence. So anywhere in IQ that Honor gained higher positives (her tactical and kinesthetic senses?) she also gained higher negatives, her abysmal Math on demand skills perhaps?

But Honor is also not massively above/ahead of the curve on knowledge, many other captains have proved to be just as insightful in similar ways that are outside the Tactical field.
  • Warner Caslet had a surprisingly high knowledge not just of medical but psychology (when he picked up the Bonaventure crew he KNEW exactly what Chris Hurlman was doing and why).
  • Aivars Terekhov has a large functional knowledge of his ships, both the Hexapuma and as the flag officer on Quentin (neither class he had prior experience with), how else could he know just where/how to try to keep Helen properly occupied, not to mention his prior service in the Foreign Service
  • Scotty Tremaine (with the modest assistance from Harkness ofc) knows more than a fair bit about 'his' ship. He's barely out of the rank he would gleefully strip off his tunic and dug into the work himself to help out. (much like the McKeon his ship is named for, from OBS prior to Honor taking command was getting HIS hands dirty, repeatedly)

So Honor having a few ideas about combining Tactical and Engineering, while out of the box and wild, are clearly not something exclusive to her, and therefore not just an Alpha thing. But it DOES seem to be something exclusive to only Captains who take their duties seriously, not those who are just in it for the perks. List of whom includes Elvis Santino, Pavel Young, various other Janacek Cronies, various People's Navy lazy captains & admirals, etc.

*As a child would occupy a seat on any shuttle that an adult could have occupied. Manticore desired people but people who could work RIGHT THEN, not in ~20-30 T-years time, and so the cost of bringing a kid with you would up the cost. Since the Harringtons were Yeomen, they'd paid their full cost of seat, with perhaps a little left over to pay for that huge chunk of land on Sphinx they've lived on since.

But now that textev let Honor's status of being an Alpha out of the box, its out there.

I never thought that Honor has any trouble with math. I think she has trouble taking tests. But being an Alpha -- which is an ingredient I think is responsible for her unprecedented connection to Treecats -- I think that same brain gives Honor unprecedented tactical abilities. I think she can see the battlefield in her head -- like Beth Harmon playing chess in Queen's Gambit -- in conjunction with her kinesthetic ability. It is impossible to cheat my niece at chess by moving a piece during a break. "That's not where your knight was! Don't even try it!" My niece can set up a chess match exactly how it was if you "accidentally" knock over the board. Honor has the ability to quickly play the tactical situation out in her head.

So, everyone should be able to see why fighting a navy with all Alphas should be a copper-plated Ransom.

P.S. Honor also has a lot of knowledge about the medical field, because of both of her parents. She used it to pin Lois Suchon's ears to the wall.

P.P.S. Whereas I agree that officers who take their duties seriously are way above the curve, it just won't make them equal to Alphas who take their duties seriously as well. That is probably why Honor had to browbeat White Haven about Apollo's potential. And why Bachfish made a serious blunder. Bachfish, though he isn't an Alpha and though he made a big mistake, he doesn't strike me as being average.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:02 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:But now that textev let Honor's status of being an Alpha out of the box, its out there.

No, there is an allegation that one of her ancestors over 450 years ago (since this was prior to Stephanie Harrington) was an Alpha. Even if true, you would have to say the Long Range Planning Board has made NO improvements during those years for her to be considered an Alpha today.

If the LRPB even has a very conservative update cycle of a hundred years (so every hundred years the Alpha, Beta and Gamma lines get improvements that make a new Gamma equal to the prior Beta line and a new Beta equal to a prior Alpha line); then this supposed ancestor would be 250 years out of date compared to a current Gamma line member.

Being "lost" for so long, simply means that a modern descendant has had ample time to mix genes with the human race at large.

Return to Honorverse