Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Cross posting update from RFC

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Cross posting update from RFC
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:58 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

From FB
David Weber wrote:Um. I posted this as a comment in a conversation about unfinished series and storylines that would probably never be completed on one of the TRMN pages, and someone suggested I should make it more broadly available, so …..
———-
Okay, I am looking to the future of the Honorverse and several of the other series I have going. There almost certainly WILL be at least one, and probably 2-3, more novels in the Honorverse, following END IN FIRE's merger of the main series and the Crown of Slaves series. They won't be written with ERIC (which i hate) but he and I always knew exactly where the books were going, and they will go there. It is possible that the collaborator I have in mind will also replace ME before the end of the journey (as someone said, I am --- alas --- mortal, and I am one of those writers who will never be "done"), but the end will be reached,
Tim, Tom, and I will be wrapping the MANTICORE ASCENDANT series in the next couple of books, at which point we will tie it off with a bow. Jacob Holo and I will be writing the story of Edward Saganami shortly. Joelle and I are working on the next MULTIVERSE/HELL'S GATE book, and we know precisely where that series will ultimately end up. I don't know that I'll be here to see the final book, but I know what will be in it and I totally trust Joelle, Sharon, and Toni Weisskopf to get the series there with quality writing. Richard Fox and I have about 3 more books to bring Terrence Murphy's immediate story to a close, though we may go a tiny bit farther than that,. We are looking at doing the second book in the Murphyverse later this fall/winter. It's already plotted and ready to go. Chris Kennedy and I just handed in the sequel to INTO THE LIGHT, and I think it's solid. I'm not sure how far we're going to get into that one, but I think we can keep our readers satisfied. And the only reason I'm not sure how far we'll get is that I set up a heck of a big enemy when I created the Hegemony, and it's likely to "end up" with a case of Mutually Assured Destruction rather than a clear cut military victory. Can't say that for sure; we got farther in the current book than we'd really expected. I need to sit down with Jane Lindskold some time in the next couple of months and lay out the writing outline for the next STAR KINGDOM novel. We are envisioning three more in that series, too. I have at least two more novels in SAFEHOLD (might be 3) at which point I will be at a thoroughly satisfying stopping point. (Could go farther if I brought in the right collaborator, but I don't think it's likely.) 3-4 more books in the SWORD OF THE SOUTH series, and then that's done.
So, by my calculations, that's another 22 books I need to get written to wrap up my current series plans.
I'm 70 this October. I sold the first novel thirty-three years ago. Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting production) 74 solo and collaborative novels, which works out to roughly 2.24 per year. That doesn't count the anthologies, of course.
I lost roughly 2 years to the concussion, and about a year and a half to the Covid, so let's call it 30 years, not 33, which brings the production up to 2.5 per year. And let's assume that I write for another ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters with mortality) seems entirely plausible. By my calculations, that comes to another TWENTY-FIVE solo and collaborative novels, in the process of which I will be working with some of my collaborators to establish them firmly in the existing universes going forward.
People, like the characters in Richard Adams' PLAGUE DOGS, I'll probably still be writing "when the dark comes down." That means, obviously, that I won't be "finished" when I leave, but don't go around thinking that you're getting rid of me next week!
Just saying.
Re: Cross posting update from RFC
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:00 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:From FB
David Weber wrote:Um. I posted this as a comment in a conversation about unfinished series and storylines that would probably never be completed on one of the TRMN pages, and someone suggested I should make it more broadly available, so …..
———-
Okay, I am looking to the future of the Honorverse and several of the other series I have going. There almost certainly WILL be at least one, and probably 2-3, more novels in the Honorverse, following END IN FIRE's merger of the main series and the Crown of Slaves series. They won't be written with ERIC (which i hate) but he and I always knew exactly where the books were going, and they will go there. It is possible that the collaborator I have in mind will also replace ME before the end of the journey (as someone said, I am --- alas --- mortal, and I am one of those writers who will never be "done"), but the end will be reached,
Tim, Tom, and I will be wrapping the MANTICORE ASCENDANT series in the next couple of books, at which point we will tie it off with a bow. Jacob Holo and I will be writing the story of Edward Saganami shortly. -cut-

All the best wishes of health and non-plague to RFC!

So for the Honorverse, not counting anthologies, we're talking about 6 to 9 more books plus the Edward Saganami story and the "What price victory?" anthology from next February. He wasn't clear if that story was going to be its own book or part of another anthology (can't be WPV because Jacob is not listed as an author there). I'd usually expect that story to show up after the Manticore Ascendant stories wrap up, but from the post it doesn't look like it. Not that I am complaining of getting it early.

He wrote "a couple of books" for the Manticore Ascendant and I suspect that really means 2, which would make a total of 6. Given this, I expect the story ends with the discovery of the wormhole, with no continuation into how the RMN built its battlecruisers and battleships. That is, the RMN stays a small, backwater force throughout the series.

In the SK series, I'd hope we hear more about the passage of the Ninth Amendment, but it doesn't look like that from the plots of the previous 4 books nor from the description of the series as "young adult." The politics just don't seem to fit.

As for the main series (which had already merged with the Saganami Island sub-series by UH), he said 1 to 3. That's a huge variation... so much so that I'd suspect he isn't sure just how quickly he wants to wrap it up. My guess here is that he'll decide when he finds out who the collaborator will be. My bets would be either Richard Fox (with whom he's writing the Terrence Murphy stories) or Tim Zahn (MA) -- is Tim publishing Thrawn novels now that Star Wars is in full swing on Disney+?
Post by Jacob Holo   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:01 pm

Jacob Holo
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

ThinksMarkedly wrote:So for the Honorverse, not counting anthologies, we're talking about 6 to 9 more books plus the Edward Saganami story and the "What price victory?" anthology from next February. He wasn't clear if that story was going to be its own book or part of another anthology (can't be WPV because Jacob is not listed as an author there). I'd usually expect that story to show up after the Manticore Ascendant stories wrap up, but from the post it doesn't look like it. Not that I am complaining of getting it early.

Just to provide a bit of additional information, David and I are in the very early planning stages for a trilogy of novels based on the life of Edward Saganami. Also, (and this is probably obvious but I'm going to say it anyway) I am SUPER EXCITED to be writing in the Honorverse! :D
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:05 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jacob Holo wrote:Just to provide a bit of additional information, David and I are in the very early planning stages for a trilogy of novels based on the life of Edward Saganami. Also, (and this is probably obvious but I'm going to say it anyway) I am SUPER EXCITED to be writing in the Honorverse! :D

Hey Jacob

I was hoping to tempt you to comment on the subject, so thanks for being proactive :)

Given the quality of your collaborations with David I've read so far, I'm very excited to hear you're writing in this portion of the history. And as you say it's a trilogy, not a single book, that means it's at least 10 more HV books still to come, including next year's anthology.
Post by phillies   » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:20 pm

phillies
Admiral

Bravo! Omitted from the count are all the new series yet to be started.

Jonathan_S wrote:From FB
———-
Tim, Tom, and I will be wrapping the MANTICORE ASCENDANT series in the next couple of books, at which point we will tie it off with a bow. Jacob Holo and I will be writing the story of Edward Saganami shortly. Joelle and I are working on the next MULTIVERSE/HELL'S GATE book, and we know precisely where that series will ultimately end up. I don't know that I'll be here to see the final book, but I know what will be in it and I totally trust Joelle, Sharon, and Toni Weisskopf to get the series there with quality writing. Richard Fox and I have about 3 more books to bring Terrence Murphy's immediate story to a close, though we may go a tiny bit farther than that,. We are looking at doing the second book in the Murphyverse later this fall/winter. It's already plotted and ready to go. Chris Kennedy and I just handed in the sequel to INTO THE LIGHT, and I think it's solid. I'm not sure how far we're going to get into that one, but I think we can keep our readers satisfied. And the only reason I'm not sure how far we'll get is that I set up a heck of a big enemy when I created the Hegemony, and it's likely to "end up" with a case of Mutually Assured Destruction rather than a clear cut military victory. Can't say that for sure; we got farther in the current book than we'd really expected. I need to sit down with Jane Lindskold some time in the next couple of months and lay out the writing outline for the next STAR KINGDOM novel. We are envisioning three more in that series, too. I have at least two more novels in SAFEHOLD (might be 3) at which point I will be at a thoroughly satisfying stopping point. (Could go farther if I brought in the right collaborator, but I don't think it's likely.) 3-4 more books in the SWORD OF THE SOUTH series, and then that's done.
So, by my calculations, that's another 22 books I need to get written to wrap up my current series plans.
I'm 70 this October. I sold the first novel thirty-three years ago. Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting production) 74 solo and collaborative novels, which works out to roughly 2.24 per year. That doesn't count the anthologies, of course.
I lost roughly 2 years to the concussion, and about a year and a half to the Covid, so let's call it 30 years, not 33, which brings the production up to 2.5 per year. And let's assume that I write for another ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters with mortality) seems entirely plausible. By my calculations, that comes to another TWENTY-FIVE solo and collaborative novels, in the process of which I will be working with some of my collaborators to establish them firmly in the existing universes going forward.
People, like the characters in Richard Adams' PLAGUE DOGS, I'll probably still be writing "when the dark comes down." That means, obviously, that I won't be "finished" when I leave, but don't go around thinking that you're getting rid of me next week!
Just saying.
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If there are indeed three more HV novels, I'll take that to mean... Ladies and gentlemen, this time we have a worthy adversary.

The first novel includes the lead up to finding the MA and the GA attacking Darius. The second novel includes the MA attacking the MBS, as they sent the GA packing on its first attack of their home system. The third novel features a rematch in Darius space.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:32 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:If there are indeed three more HV novels, I'll take that to mean... Ladies and gentlemen, this time we have a worthy adversary.

The first novel includes the lead up to finding the MA and the GA attacking Darius. The second novel includes the MA attacking the MBS, as they sent the GA packing on its first attack of their home system. The third novel features a rematch in Darius space.

My money is the Renaissance Faction muddies the waters, and forces a Solarian divide.

Before Flint died, Maya's succession would have been a serious part of the plot, not so sure now...
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:49 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The first novel includes the lead up to finding the MA and the GA attacking Darius. The second novel includes the MA attacking the MBS, as they sent the GA packing on its first attack of their home system. The third novel features a rematch in Darius space.

The first attack on Darius is a bloody fiasco as the vast majority of the GA fleet is obliterated by the waves of graser torpedoes.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:The first novel includes the lead up to finding the MA and the GA attacking Darius. The second novel includes the MA attacking the MBS, as they sent the GA packing on its first attack of their home system. The third novel features a rematch in Darius space.

The first attack on Darius is a bloody fiasco as the vast majority of the GA fleet is obliterated by the waves of graser torpedoes.

Yep! My sentiments exactly!

The MAlign's sentiments?

"LOOKEE THE FLAMING DATUM!"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

"WHAT THE HELL HAVE WE HYPERED INTO!!!"

"HELL!!!"

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Of course the silver lining to getting a royal ass-kicking in Darius will be the GA getting some sort of read off of the spider drives, which enables the development of the spider drive detector.

HELL HATH NO FURY THAN THE MA SCORNED.

Return to Honorverse