Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

Cross posting update from RFC

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Cross posting update from RFC
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:00 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

markusschaber wrote:
Just for my personal clarity: Which map are you talking about? Is there a map supposed to be in "To End In Fire"?

I've got the Amazon EBook, and there's no map I can find anywhere.

Appeared about Oct 2019, Felix Wormhole with Darius, the bridges to Torch and the two "unknown" destinations from Felix and including the Mannerhime-Werner bridge with Mannheim's distance to Felix. Look in the maps folder.
Post by tlb   » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:18 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Appeared about Oct 2019, Felix Wormhole with Darius, the bridges to Torch and the two "unknown" destinations from Felix and including the Mannerhime-Werner bridge with Mannheim's distance to Felix. Look in the maps folder.

Please provide a link to that folder.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:11 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Using a Spider Drive ship and coming out of hyper very far out would cut the potential of it being spotted to almost nil since so far the Alignment has difficulties detecting one and they know what they are looking for. Remember that most system monitoring sensors are primarily looking for both the hyper footprint and then impeller signatures. Sure, they could also be routinely doing very high resolution optical scanning but for a Spider in full stealth with that magic skin and almost no "normal" emissions, it would still be a very tiny chance of being spotted. And the spider is going to probably be maneuvering to a final (but not too close) position to overwatch the system. Anything Galton (or the GA post capture of Galton) would send to check out a sensor ping is going to be spotted by it's impellers alone and the Spider would see that and take appropriate action to avoid. That includes leaving completely using the Spider Drive.
<snip>

I think we can all agree, that the Malaign doesn't want the "average Galton" to know what is going on - the leadership knows, but not the rank and file. So however the data ship is getting to Galton, it has to be hidden. I'd make a hole in the defenses in a weird place significantly out that it does not pose a defensive issue. The sensors either are not present in this area, or simply programmed to ignore activity in sector (if it originates in this sector). So if a ship jumps in there and maneuvers, it is not seen, but if a ship moves through the sector, it would be tracked. Either way, place a data beacon in the region and have it connect with the standard system data constellation. The ship tight beams to the beacon which re-transmits to the rest of the constellation. The ship then leaves, no one the wiser.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:07 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:I think we can all agree, that the Malaign doesn't want the "average Galton" to know what is going on - the leadership knows, but not the rank and file. So however the data ship is getting to Galton, it has to be hidden. I'd make a hole in the defenses in a weird place significantly out that it does not pose a defensive issue. The sensors either are not present in this area, or simply programmed to ignore activity in sector (if it originates in this sector). So if a ship jumps in there and maneuvers, it is not seen, but if a ship moves through the sector, it would be tracked. Either way, place a data beacon in the region and have it connect with the standard system data constellation. The ship tight beams to the beacon which re-transmits to the rest of the constellation. The ship then leaves, no one the wiser.

Up until Houdini, Galton must've been in constant contact with Mesa and there was no need to hide that. So if one of the ships that made this transit also received special content to insert (including malware that would delete some other extant content) elsewhere, no one in Galton would be the wiser. In fact, up until Houdini, there was no need to have orders come from Darius. They were coming from Mesa because that's where the Detweilers were.

They would have set up a solution for the post-Houdini situation, even if it was barely used before Galton fell. Galton, like Darius, would have pulled its horns, but they were still in some contact with their operatives, so there was still traffic.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:10 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Brigade XO wrote:
markusschaber wrote:
Just for my personal clarity: Which map are you talking about? Is there a map supposed to be in "To End In Fire"?

I've got the Amazon EBook, and there's no map I can find anywhere.

Appeared about Oct 2019, Felix Wormhole with Darius, the bridges to Torch and the two "unknown" destinations from Felix and including the Mannerhime-Werner bridge with Mannheim's distance to Felix. Look in the maps folder.

I remember at least 2 detailed maps appearing several years ago, but I can't find them now.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:52 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:.

Please provide a link to that folder.[/quote]

Sorry, I only grabbed a copy at the time, don't have the link.
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:25 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Things are awfully quiet around here. I think this is the longest period without a post since I've been reading this site.
Post by kzt   » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:25 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:Things are awfully quiet around here. I think this is the longest period without a post since I've been reading this site.

No new books. And we've either all agreed on everything or gotten tired of arguing about what we don't.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:26 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:Things are awfully quiet around here. I think this is the longest period without a post since I've been reading this site.

I was blaming it on the holidays. Everyone is probably still trying to make good on their New Years Resolutions...

And I'm waiting for the new book in just over 3 weeks.

Return to Honorverse