Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], markusschaber, zyffyr and 41 guests

update from RFC

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: update from RFC
Post by robert132   » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:29 am

robert132
Captain of the List

Wife and I both are RFC fans so are looking forward to ANYTHING the gentleman produces.

I wonder what it could be ...

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by markusschaber   » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:40 pm

markusschaber
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

phillies wrote:You have undoubtedly been buried in messages suggesting that cloud-based computing, so that you and your co-author have only one index between you that you both use and modify, might be an assist.

Until the cloud goes down, anyhow. Recall the computer geniuses in California whose doorlocks used passcodes stored in the cloud, had no mechanical overrides, and then one day the cloud went down and they were locked out of their own homes.

For that reason, I'd never go on a cloud-only solution.

I'd suggest some distributed system, e. G. based on GIT. That way, there's a copy in the cloud (e. G. private repositories on GitLab or GitHub), but also local copies on the computers of the authors. The cloud is only used as a convenient way of synchronizing, direct synchronization via connecting the computers is always possible.
Post by robert132   » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:08 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

markusschaber wrote:For that reason, I'd never go on a cloud-only solution.

I'd suggest some distributed system, e. G. based on GIT. That way, there's a copy in the cloud (e. G. private repositories on GitLab or GitHub), but also local copies on the computers of the authors. The cloud is only used as a convenient way of synchronizing, direct synchronization via connecting the computers is always possible.

I'm reminded of the old saw "To err is human, but to REALLY bolex things up you need a computer." The "Cloud" takes that one to an entirely new level.

My current employer is moving toward placing everything in "The Cloud," so I'm practicing "discretion is the better part of valor" and retiring before it becomes reality.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.

Return to Honorverse