Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Next book?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Next book?
Post by phillies   » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:21 pm

phillies
Admiral

Perhaps in the next few years?
Re: Next book?
Post by tlb   » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:47 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:Perhaps in the next few years?

You are asking about the one after the anthology in February, right?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:15 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

phillies wrote:Perhaps in the next few years?

Which next book? Alfred Harringon in the Marines? The fifth Manticore Ascendant? The fifth Stephanie Harrington?
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:48 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:Which next book? Alfred Harringon in the Marines? The fifth Manticore Ascendant? The fifth Stephanie Harrington?

I'm waiting for the fifth Saganami Island book.
Post by Gun Boat Diplomacy   » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:02 pm

Gun Boat Diplomacy
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

My mind read the question as "when is the next "normals vs mesan scum" book. I may be wrong, I usually am ;)
Post by Relax   » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:14 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but ANY book published by DW from here onwards is a gift one should be thankful for.

Lets admit to reality;
DW is 70 years old and not in great health. Does he want to do "retirement" things? NOT writing full time...

HV main novels to finish is 1? and Saganami is 1?
How many OTHER books has DW been contracted for in Safehold etc? Several. + his many colabs he is involved with to pass the baton. He is feeling his mortality.

What historical examples do we have of ANYONE writing even medium sized books after 70 years old at any pace greater than 1 book every 2 years or more? Let alone Novels DW length?

Time to temper expectations.

PS: As far as I am concerned, the last book published essentially tied up the series with only a few loose threads. In real life one does not vanquish ALL ones enemies for all time. They scatter and hide. Seems like a good enough ending.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:48 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Relax wrote:HV main novels to finish is 1? and Saganami is 1?

Distinction without a difference. Since Honor has gone back to retirement, it's likely that the majority of the next books' pages will be without her. She might make cameos again, like she did in TEiF, but I expect those to be minority. I certainly didn't expect a third of the book in TEiF, so I might be proven wrong here.

But anyway, I don't expect the HV to be resolved in a single book. I expect 2 or 3 more in Honor's time, then 3 more in Travis' time, though Tim and Tom might be carrying the bulk of the work there. Similarly, Jane might be carrying the bulk of the load for the next Stephanie Harrington novel.

How many OTHER books has DW been contracted for in Safehold etc? Several. + his many colabs he is involved with to pass the baton. He is feeling his mortality.

We know there are three more in the Gordian universe because Jacob Holo has told us so. He's given the date of the next two (September 2022 and June 2023).

In addition to those, I'm eargerly awaiting the one after Governor (just building up) and the one after Into the Light (way too many questions to be answered!).

PS: As far as I am concerned, the last book published essentially tied up the series with only a few loose threads. In real life one does not vanquish ALL ones enemies for all time. They scatter and hide. Seems like a good enough ending.

I disagree, but yeah, it's an opinion.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:46 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:We know there are three more in the Gordian universe because Jacob Holo has told us so. He's given the date of the next two (September 2022 and June 2023).

In addition to those, I'm eargerly awaiting the one after Governor (just building up) and the one after Into the Light (way too many questions to be answered!).
On that last; I saw a few days ago RFC say
David Weber wrote:Chris Kennedy and I have handed TO CHALLENGE HEAVEN, the sequel to INTO THE LIGHT to Tor!
No idea when it will actually be released, of course.

So at least the draft is handed off for editing and eventual slotting into their publishing schedule.
Post by Relax   » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:58 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Relax wrote:PS: As far as I am concerned, the last book published essentially tied up the series with only a few loose threads.

I disagree, but yeah, it's an opinion.

Hey, those aren't allowed today. Everyone knows, everything must be said with 100% conviction while simultaneously observing everything as a zero or a one. :evil: :oops: :P :shock: :o :!: :twisted:

In either case, by what DW has posted(diff thread), there will not be another HV/Safehold book for several years as it appears co-labs are going strong.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse