Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 109 guests

Masada: State of Affairs

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Masada: State of Affairs
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:Misuse of property? :lol: That is probably exactly what the crime is in the book.

If it changes under Manticoran occupation, then doesn't Manticore need to open certain doors to them as well? Like offering asylum to those who ask for it? They very well shouldn't be left out in the dark.

Think of Masada as Afghanistan.

How effective has occupation by the USSR or the US+NATO been at changing the culture of the people?

Lets assume there are a mere billion people on the planet, in small towns that average 10,000 people. To have a good handle on what is gong on in one of them and to enforce your laws, how many people do you need?

Probably 20-50. So you need to commit two to five million police to do this. Well, you probably need to rotate them out as you almost certainly don't want their families there, so you need somewhere between four to fifteen million police assigned to that planet.

Let's assume that it's more like modern Afghanistan, where you have 5% in the cities, another 20% in major tows and 75% in towns of a thousand to a dozen.

So you have 50 million in the ten big cities, two hundred million in 8000 towns of a few thousand to say fifty thousand, and remaining 800 million in the million six hundred thousand villages.

How many police do you need? Consider that the population is hostile and willing to kill any group of meddling creatures of Satan if they get a shot.

How many of them do you need if you are going to enforce the laws opposed by the culture of the people? One per town? Now how small can you make your small, isolated police bases? How about 48? We can call it police outpost Keating. What could possibly go wrong?

So you need in the ballpark of 300 million police to control the planet and enforce your laws. May I have your credit card?

Well those numbers sure are a sobering state of affairs, and the text tlb supplied puts the population at six billion.

It brings me back to my opening post, why is there not an utterly reckless religious civil war going on groundside? Rebellious women killing their husbands?

Let's say it is Afghanistan and it is happening there. What do you suppose the result would be?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:18 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Something crossed my mind. Would Masada even have munitions on planet? Isn't that technology as well? If not, how are cities policed?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:32 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:How many police do you need? Consider that the population is hostile and willing to kill any group of meddling creatures of Satan if they get a shot.

How many of them do you need if you are going to enforce the laws opposed by the culture of the people? One per town? Now how small can you make your small, isolated police bases? How about 48? We can call it police outpost Keating. What could possibly go wrong?

I do not understand how this could work. One of the simplest laws that the "occupiers" might try to impose is: don't kill our teachers and/or our police. However there is insufficient force on the ground to enforce it.

Basically it seems that the Masadans have transitioned from a hatred of technology to a hatred of women and Grayson (and the Alliance); because they show no disinclination to use technology (even prolong will be accepted before long, once the refusers die out).
Post by kzt   » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:43 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It brings me back to my opening post, why is there not an utterly reckless religious civil war going on groundside? Rebellious women killing their husbands?

Let's say it is Afghanistan and it is happening there. What do you suppose the result would be?

Because this is the way things are, foreigners are trying to impose it, and having you and your kids nailed to gate until you die of thirst probably seems like a bad idea.

What has happened to the women who tried to change things in Afghanistan? Some times they succeed in minor matters. Some times they get told to go home. Sometimes they get beaten in the street. and sometimes they get dead.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I've got to get this off my chest, it's been there awhile.

Reginald Houseman was out of place at the time with his suggestion to Grayson that it should trade with Masada. But his suggestion would have had a lot of merit, had it not been for the fact that they were mortal enemies.

But fast forward to an alternate future and reality where the two systems have mended their fences and are actually allies. The union of Grayson and Masada has the potential to be a powerhouse.

Can you imagine a powerful union between two religious systems becoming the moral center of the galaxy? The system could rightfully replace the SLN in adjudicating and punishing violators of the Eridani Edict.

Pause ... lest ye be judged!

Post by tlb   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:42 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:But fast forward to an alternate future and reality where the two systems have mended their fences and are actually allies. The union of Grayson and Masada has the potential to be a powerhouse.

Can you imagine a powerful union between two religious systems becoming the moral center of the galaxy? The system could rightfully replace the SLN in adjudicating and punishing violators of the Eridani Edict.

There have been long discussions in this forum about the future of the Eridani Edict and the main conclusion seemed to be that only a militarily powerful system, with its population spread over many star systems (like the prewar Solarian League was thought to be) could take on the burden of being its primary enforcer. I am not sure that a two system entity would qualify.

I can not imagine two religious systems (which would be only one religious system, if they settled their differences to become friends) could become "the moral center of the galaxy".
Imagine all the people
Livin' life in peace
You
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Nice in a song, but history gives no reason to expect it.
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:But fast forward to an alternate future and reality where the two systems have mended their fences and are actually allies. The union of Grayson and Masada has the potential to be a powerhouse.

There have been long discussions in this forum about the future of the Eridani Edict and the main conclusion seemed to be that only a militarily powerful system, with its population spread over many star systems (like the prewar Solarian League was thought to be) could take on the burden of being its primary enforcer. I am not sure that a two system entity would qualify.

I can not imagine two religious systems (which would be only one religious system, if they settled their differences to become friends) could become "the moral center of the galaxy".
Imagine all the people
Livin' life in peace
You
But I'm not the only one

The Yeltsin System and the Endicott System. That is TWO systems. Why would their religion necessarily need to merge?

I have always been a dreamer. Where would life be without us "dreamers."

Oh, and I love that song!

Post by tlb   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:37 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:The Yeltsin System and the Endicott System. That is TWO systems. Why would their religion necessarily need to merge?

Both religions began through the teachings of Austin Grayson, then there was the Schism. In order for them to become friends, the differences that both lead to the Schism and followed from it have to be reconciled. The reconciliation would basically result in a unification of the teachings, as least from the viewpoint of an outsider (and maybe to an insider also).
Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:The Yeltsin System and the Endicott System. That is TWO systems. Why would their religion necessarily need to merge?

Both religions began through the teachings of Austin Grayson, then there was the Schism. In order for them to become friends, the differences that both lead to the Schism and followed from it have to be reconciled. The reconciliation would basically result in a unification of the teachings, as least from the viewpoint of an outsider (and maybe to an insider also).

And you may be right just as well as anyone else, considering we are all outsiders looking in. So I respect your alternative view.

But personally, I was thinking that if Baptists and Methodists can learn to get along -- even visit the other's congregations -- then surely two religions which sprang from the same seed can eventually learn to do the same. Without compromising what either of them believe in.

Post by cthia   » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

Imagine all the people
Livin' life in peace
You
But I'm not the only one

I would think that if Grayson adjudicated AND punished violators of the Edict, then Grayson would send the Protector's Own to do it. Along with Masada's version of it.

In essence, the Protector's Own would still be protecting Grayson by stamping out this sort of evil in the galaxy. Masada, ditto.

Heck, the Protector's Own probably can handle any other system on its own except any of the powerhouses.

BTW, what is the Protector's Own OOB?

And is it safe to assume that the Protector's Own has all of the classified technology? I have always been unsure about that.

Return to Honorverse