Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], zyffyr and 41 guests

Cultural references

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Cultural references
Post by Tarkus   » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 am

Tarkus
Midshipman

I was reading Honorverse for the last ten years and always wanted to know, is there any reference to Tarkus? No, really? Did Manticore defeat any fictional fleet of Adm. Tarkus, or anything?

Do you have any other intriguing references which should be there, but we missed them?
Re: Cultural references
Post by tlb   » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:04 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Tarkus wrote:I was reading Honorverse for the last ten years and always wanted to know, is there any reference to Tarkus? No, really? Did Manticore defeat any fictional fleet of Adm. Tarkus, or anything?

Do you have any other intriguing references which should be there, but we missed them?

Do you mean Tarkus of Warhammer or Dark Souls? As a former videa game creator, the author is unlikely to borrow a name from another universe. I am not aware of any reference to "Tarkus".
Post by Theemile   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:20 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Tarkus wrote:I was reading Honorverse for the last ten years and always wanted to know, is there any reference to Tarkus? No, really? Did Manticore defeat any fictional fleet of Adm. Tarkus, or anything?

Do you mean Tarkus of Warhammer or Dark Souls? As a former videa game creator, the author is unlikely to borrow a name from another universe. I am not aware of any reference to "Tarkus".

I forgot about that Tarkus - My mind immediately went to "Tars Tarkas of Barsoom"
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by zyffyr   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:53 pm

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Well, there is also Emerson,Lake, and Palmer's second album (and the song of the same name from the album).
Post by tlb   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:39 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

zyffyr wrote:Well, there is also Emerson,Lake, and Palmer's second album (and the song of the same name from the album).

When searching for Tarkus, I did see that; but I was fairly certain it was not relevent.
Post by Tarkus   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:20 pm

Tarkus
Midshipman

Am, yes. Tarkus is an ELP invention, a some fearsome machine of war, falling on the battle field.
Since we are discussing exactly the war fiction, I got curious, is there a place for it? Wasn't the Empire of Manticore inspired by the ELP album? David loves making references like that, isn't it the one of such?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:15 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

I noticed a few references (or allusions) in _Echoes of Honor_.

In chapter 43, there is the comment "report back for . . . um, debriefing. Thank you very much, and remember—StateSec is your friend!” (RPG _Paranoia_, where "the Computer is your friend!").

In chapter 45, our PN courier is leaving the Clarke system whose chief planet is Lois (BTW, senior StateSec officer was a Colonel White and the PN senior officer was a Captain Olson).

Then there is Weber's self-references (Mars class heavy cruiser "Krashnark" and the Danak system).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Tarkus   » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:43 am

Tarkus
Midshipman

Great reference on "your friend"! I thought it was in 1984.

Return to Honorverse