Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests

On Basilisk Station no longer available on Kindle

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
On Basilisk Station no longer available on Kindle
Post by TekGryphon   » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:55 pm

TekGryphon
Midshipman

Just wanted to give a heads-up on what I assume is a technical glitch. After recommending the series to a friend, we found out that Amazon no longer has a Kindle option for On Basilisk Station, and has a message box explicitly stating this title isn't available on Kindle.

All the other books still have a Kindle link, which is why I'm thinking this is a glitch.

Hope you can get it sorted out, as I was looking forward to recommending this to my book club when my turn comes around next month.
Re: On Basilisk Station no longer available on Kindle
Post by tlb   » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:36 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

I do not know that reporting it here will fix Amazon, but there is another way if Kindle will read the EPUB format, download the free CD-ROM that Baen provided with Mission of Honor. It has a number of e-book formats for the books up through Mission of Honor, including an EPUB for each book.

If you do not have it, then look here for a copy:
Mission of Honor CD

There is a mention online of an Amazon thing to convert EPUB to native Amazon format.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:03 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:I do not know that reporting it here will fix Amazon, but there is another way if Kindle will read the EPUB format, download the free CD-ROM that Baen provided with Mission of Honor. It has a number of e-book formats for the books up through Mission of Honor, including an EPUB for each book.

Mission of Honor CD

There is a mention online of an Amazon thing to convert EPUB to native Amazon format.

There are lots of tools that can convert, or you can simply copy the .epub file to your Kindle when you connect it via USB. I haven't tried that in a while, but I think it works.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:11 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Theoretically, it's available in Kindle format - assuming your Kindle will condescend to read mobi files. You also, if you buy direct from Baen, have the option to have them email it to your Kindle. Which works, but you have to follow the instructions rather carefully. Especially the bit about whitelisting baen.com.

tlb wrote:I do not know that reporting it here will fix Amazon, but there is another way if Kindle will read the EPUB format, download the free CD-ROM that Baen provided with Mission of Honor. It has a number of e-book formats for the books up through Mission of Honor, including an EPUB for each book.

Mission of Honor CD

Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:17 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Mission of Honor CD

It's also available for free directly from Baen's Free Library
https://www.baen.com/on-basilisk-station.html

(However, there are many more David Weber books on the CD than there are in that library)
Post by Joat42   » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:12 am

Joat42
Admiral

tlb wrote:There is a mention online of an Amazon thing to convert EPUB to native Amazon format.

I use Calibre for all my eBook conversions.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:23 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Mission of Honor CD

Amazon recently dropped support for the old mobipocket format (the original format they bought to build Kindle) - I wonder if that has something to do with it. I tried to sideload a couple mobi files to Kindle over the weekend and they would not load. I didn't think of the announcement until I saw this post.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Caraquena   » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:17 pm

Caraquena
Midshipman

Theemile wrote:

Mission of Honor CD

Amazon recently dropped support for the old mobipocket format (the original format they bought to build Kindle) - I wonder if that has something to do with it. I tried to sideload a couple mobi files to Kindle over the weekend and they would not load. I didn't think of the announcement until I saw this post.

Emailing to your device-specific @kindle.com address can be used for any number of formats including .mobi, see the Amazon "SendToKindle" help page.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:34 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Amazon recently dropped support for the old mobipocket format (the original format they bought to build Kindle) - I wonder if that has something to do with it. I tried to sideload a couple mobi files to Kindle over the weekend and they would not load. I didn't think of the announcement until I saw this post.

That might be a coincidence.

OBS is still available for me in my cloud reader and in my Kindle library. I can download it for transfer via USB as an .azw3 file. And because Baen insists on no-DRM, it's actually just a plain Mobipocket file.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:02 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Or, just download the epubs and use a epub to azw3 converter online.

Return to Honorverse