Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

David was Right about Ukranian Supersoldiers!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: David was Right about Ukranian Supersoldiers!
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Daryl wrote:Apparently Japanese kamikaze pilots were high on meth to help them complete their missions.
I agree with Cthia to some extent. Marijuana back in the 60s and 70s had virtually no effect on me, so I stopped using it believing that risking a criminal record for little gain was foolish. I was once slipped LSD (unknown to me) and had an extraordinary experience. They had trouble getting me out from under the car I had hidden under to keep from being trampled by pink elephants. Never again.

Marijuana has an effect on me Daryl. Like WOE! I just don't like it, and I am part American Indian.

But, if the Russians abuse steroids in their Olympians, are we to think their military doesn't?

isaac_neston wrote:interesting how different people respond so differently to different substances.
Now I've never even smoked so can't speak to that, but a few years ago - after a mild heart attack - I was given one of those opioids in hospital [maybe morphine NOT fentanyl]. The nurse said 'ah you'l love this, you be drifting away'. All I felt was very sick indeed! :cry:

Ditto! Sick is what I feel when taking apparently the tamest of prescription pain pills. Oxycodone is the only one I can, somewhat, tolerate. I can only take one pill of the recommended dosage of 1-2 pills twice daily. The sickness of one pill will last me 24 hours. I never take a second dosage.

Oxycontin should be taken off the market. People are dying from that pain pill, either by accident or by abuse. I was prescribed it once for an injury I had.

Now, I am a real stickler for reading the directions on a label, and even for RTFM on anything I purchase. For some reason -- maybe because I was numb by the pain (but most likely divine intervention) -- I didn't read the directions which said take two pills every 8 hours as needed. After one dose, I was so high I was afraid to go to sleep, so I didn't. I stayed awake all night long like I was in a Freddy Krueger movie. I couldn't function. I could not even walk! I truly thought I would not wake up if I fell asleep. The next day I called my doctor in a rage. He said, "Just cut your dose in half. Take one pill instead of two."

"What??? I only took one pill! I was supposed to take two?!!!"

I am certain that if I had taken two, I would be dead. I tossed an entire bottle of those things in my trash. My white friends almost killed each other trying to get to them!

I don't mean to stereotype, but prescription pain pills are like M&Ms to all of my white friends. Do parents put those kinds of drugs in white babies' milk bottles? And by the time they become adults they have built up an immunity? Several of my white friends told me that valium is commonly given to white kids just to put them to sleep! :o

And they have a nerve to make you sign a DEA form to even receive oxycontin! Oh please! They can keep the form and the damn suicide pills!!! Obviously I don't have enough white blood in me to handle them.

I went to my doctor and begged for extra strength Ibupropen instead. He says to me, "You are a strange fellow. You don't know how many people come into my office with a song and dance of why they need oxycontin."

I said, well give them mine and give me some darn Ibupropen!

Hitler's veins were all ruined from heroin abuse.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:43 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Hi cthia.
Long retired I originally trained and worked in biochemistry. A couple of points, super strength ibuprofen can be provided by just buying standard over the counter stuff, and taking more up to the same dosage. However, don't do this for long to protect your kidneys. And always take it with food, dairy is good.
Another alternative is to take it with paracetamol, as being from different families they don't clash. Once again, not for long, but the combination is effective.
On opiates, they generally don't work much for me, but I avoid Tramadol as it does have loopy side effects for me, but morphine works too well, so I could get addicted to it.
It isn't racist to point out that Europeans have had access to alcohol for thousands of years, while many indigenous people haven't, so alcohol overall does present a problem for many cultures.
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:18 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
Oxycontin should be taken off the market. People are dying from that pain pill, either by accident or by abuse. I was prescribed it once for an injury I had.

There is a fascinating book [Empire of Pain] about the Sackler family and Oxycontin and how it has become the drug of choice for so many, with their knowledge and aid... :evil: :evil:

The BBC made it into a radio series running over a week... made my ears almost fall off!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/m0017cfs
sadly it looks as if it is not available via BBC sounds at the moment :(
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
cthia wrote:

There is a fascinating book [Empire of Pain] about the Sackler family and Oxycontin and how it has become the drug of choice for so many, with their knowledge and aid... :evil: :evil:

The BBC made it into a radio series running over a week... made my ears almost fall off!!

How do these type of pain killers come to be known as recreational drugs? I can't function high off of most opioid analgesics. Really, if I take one pill of oxycontin I will not be able to escape from a burning building. No way.

But a recreation? Even kids know that recreation means fun time. Play time. What? Huh? Being sick and incapacitated is supposed to be fun?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:34 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:
cthia wrote:

Hulu has a Drama/Documentary series on it as well: Dopesick.

It was quite good.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:27 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Theemile wrote:
dscott8 wrote:
I trust Russian PR statements about as much as I'd trust Cordelia Ransom.

You give them tons more credence than I do. They are legally unable to tell the truth.

Gotta agree with you, Theemile.

Return to Honorverse