Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Eric Flint hs died

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Eric Flint hs died
Post by kzt   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:56 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Damn it. No idea what this does to David's collaboration with him.

I also had no idea he was 75.

https://twitter.com/BaenBooks/status/15 ... 7373749249
Re: Eric Flint hs died
Post by Daryl   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:08 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

An enormous loss to the genre, and to humanity overall.
A born story teller, generous sharer of his worlds, but most of all a caring and good guy.
While I love stories set in alternative universes, lots of action scenes, with well researched technical details; the genre does tend to attract uber conservative authors, and I find some political stances quite jarring. Eric didn't just bring compassion into his worlds, he dragged it into his peer's worlds as well.
Goodbye Eric, and thanks for all your contributions.
Post by kzt   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:22 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Well, he didn't call himself Eric the Red for nothing. He still considered himself a communist, at Trotskyite to be precise, last I heard him talk. So not exactly a 'conservative', at least in the US use of the term.

Definitely a smart guy who had a lot of interesting experiences and jobs. He'll be missed.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:04 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Hopefully, the new anthology still comes out on time, because he might have had a story in there. He'll be missed.
Post by tlb   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:37 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:Hopefully, the new anthology still comes out on time, because he might have had a story in there. He'll be missed.

He is not listed as a contributor:
New Honorverse tales by Timothy Zahn & Thomas Pope, Jane Lindskold, the Honorverse Czech translator Jan Kotouc, and Joelle Presby. Plus, “First Victory,” an all-new novella by David Weber!
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:45 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

tlb wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:Hopefully, the new anthology still comes out on time, because he might have had a story in there. He'll be missed.

He is not listed as a contributor:
New Honorverse tales by Timothy Zahn & Thomas Pope, Jane Lindskold, the Honorverse Czech translator Jan Kotouc, and Joelle Presby. Plus, “First Victory,” an all-new novella by David Weber!

I just thought he might be, but hadn't checked, because I was tired.
Post by dscott8   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:32 pm

dscott8
Commodore

A moment of silent thanks to Eric for the enjoyment he's given us in his writing.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

dscott8 wrote:A moment of silent thanks to Eric for the enjoyment he's given us in his writing.

What was his best novel, and or series?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Caraquena   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:40 pm

Caraquena
Midshipman

cthia wrote:What was his best novel, and or series?

Most of his output was collaborations and there are many books to choose from so I'm sure opinions vary widely here. My personal faves aside from the Crown of Slaves books with DW are the Belisarius series with David Drake (6 books starting with "An Oblique Approach") and the start of the 1632 world: 1632, 1633 and three 1634 books, some of these with DW.
Post by Relax   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:59 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

The Philosophical strangler.

If you haven't read it, do, it is quite humorous.

His colab with David Freer bats... rats... ugly? Something like that.

I wanted to like his 1632 series, but honestly could not get into it as the end result was KNOWN from the beginning. Same reason I could not get into Turtledove even though the concept seemed interesting from the start.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Honorverse