Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Please help me name the last HH-novel I read? (novel ending)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Please help me name the last HH-novel I read? (novel end
Post by Mersal   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:47 am

Mersal
Ensign

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Hello Mersal

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the world of the honorverse. As others have said, you're describing At All Costs (AAC), which was published in 2005.

/.../

So my recommendation is to read the books in publication order, including the Crown of Slaves and Saganami Island spin-offs

1. Crown of Slaves (2003)
  2. Shadow of Saganami (2004)
  3. At All Costs (2005; you're here)
  4. Storm from the Shadows (2009)
  5. Torch of Freedom (2009)
  6. Mission of Honor (2010)
  7. A Rising Thunder (2012)
  8. Shadow of Freedom (2013)
  9. Cauldron of Ghosts (2014)
  10. Shadow of Victory (2016)
  11. Uncompromising Honor (2018)
  12. To End in Fire (2021)

Thank you so much for the very comprehensive post, ThinksMarkedly.

The full recommendation is a very big undertaking, it certainly is a full year's read. But SoS sounds pretty fun. I don't know about CoS.

Edit: how typical. I was reading up on Crown of Slaves on Wikipedia just to get some context of the outset, clicked a link I thought would take me to SoS for a similar plot blurb, but it took me to the main Honorverse wiki-article and not realizing where I was I read the hugest spoiler in the history of spoilers, very early in the article, where they detail Honor mimicking Lord Nelson's life. What an idiotic thing to reveal in the first third of a long article on a 20-book series.

I've waited 17 years and on the second day of this project it gets wing-clipped. Great.

But anyway, are CoS and SoS independent of eachother or are they chronological? Can I read SoS first?
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:06 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Mersal wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Hello Mersal

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the world of the honorverse. As others have said, you're describing At All Costs (AAC), which was published in 2005.

/.../

So my recommendation is to read the books in publication order, including the Crown of Slaves and Saganami Island spin-offs

1. Crown of Slaves (2003)
  2. Shadow of Saganami (2004)
  3. At All Costs (2005; you're here)
  4. Storm from the Shadows (2009)
  5. Torch of Freedom (2009)
  6. Mission of Honor (2010)
  7. A Rising Thunder (2012)
  8. Shadow of Freedom (2013)
  9. Cauldron of Ghosts (2014)
  10. Shadow of Victory (2016)
  11. Uncompromising Honor (2018)
  12. To End in Fire (2021)

Thank you so much for the very comprehensive post, ThinksMarkedly.

The full recommendation is a very big undertaking, it certainly is a full year's read. But SoS sounds pretty fun. I don't know about CoS.

Edit: how typical. I was reading up on Crown of Slaves on Wikipedia just to get some context of the outset, clicked a link I thought would take me to SoS for a similar plot blurb, but it took me to the main Honorverse wiki-article and not realizing where I was I read the hugest spoiler in the history of spoilers, very early in the article, where they detail Honor mimicking Lord Nelson's life. What an idiotic thing to reveal in the first third of a long article on a 20-book series.

I've waited 17 years and on the second day of this project it gets wing-clipped. Great.

But anyway, are CoS and SoS independent of eachother or are they chronological? Can I read SoS first?

It's best to read everything in publication order.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by tlb   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:17 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Mersal wrote:Edit: how typical. I was reading up on Crown of Slaves on Wikipedia just to get some context of the outset, clicked a link I thought would take me to SoS for a similar plot blurb, but it took me to the main Honorverse wiki-article and not realizing where I was I read the hugest spoiler in the history of spoilers, very early in the article, where they detail Honor mimicking Lord Nelson's life. What an idiotic thing to reveal in the first third of a long article on a 20-book series.

But anyway, are CoS and SoS independent of each other or are they chronological? Can I read SoS first?

I am not sure that was correct, the books were originally seen as Horatio Hornblower in space. However that did not remain true. The only ties to Lord Nelson that I see is the loss of a eye and an arm (and a liaison with a married person, but that is resolved differently), however I am by no means an expert on the exploits of Lord Nelson. But even if that were completely accurate, I do not see that it should affect your enjoyment; The Magnificent Seven is a retelling of The Seven Samurai as a western, but both are very good and having seen one should not preclude seeing the other.

I think you can can read SoS before CoS, but there are references that you may not appreciate until you read the earlier book. You should read the short story "THE SERVICE OF THE SWORD" before SoS; but if it is too late to say that, don't worry, you will just appreciate it more. So do not neglect the short stories, because some of them are important (in particular those by Weber and Flint).
Last edited by tlb on Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:24 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Mersal wrote:Edit: how typical. I was reading up on Crown of Slaves on Wikipedia just to get some context of the outset, clicked a link I thought would take me to SoS for a similar plot blurb, but it took me to the main Honorverse wiki-article and not realizing where I was I read the hugest spoiler in the history of spoilers, very early in the article, where they detail Honor mimicking Lord Nelson's life. What an idiotic thing to reveal in the first third of a long article on a 20-book series.

But anyway, are CoS and SoS independent of each other or are they chronological? Can I read SoS first?

I am not sure that was correct, the books were originally seen as Horatio Hornblower in space. However that did not remain true. The only ties to Lord Nelson that I see is the loss of a eye and an arm (and a liaison with a married person, but that is resolved differently), however I am by no means an expert on the exploits of Lord Nelson. But even if that were completely accurate, I do not see that it should affect your enjoyment; The Magnificent Seven is a retelling of The Seven Samurai as a western, but both are very good and having seen one should not preclude seeing the other.

I think you can can read SoS before CoS, but there are references that you may not appreciate until you read the earlier book.

Like Nelson, Honor was supposed to die in the pivotal battle against their enemies, as Lord Nelson did at Trafalger. Forces (aka a Wife's input) changed David's mind and Honor survived BoMA.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Mersal   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:29 am

Mersal
Ensign

Theemile wrote:
Like Nelson, Honor was supposed to die in the pivotal battle against their enemies, as Lord Nelson did at Trafalger. Forces (aka a Wife's input) changed David's mind and Honor survived BoMA.

Oh lord, thank you for that. I was afraid I'd stumbled upon something I shouldn't.

To Tlb: I'll consider the short stories. But since I'm light on cash, I think CoS and SoS is all I can do in a while.
Post by Mersal   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:23 pm

Mersal
Ensign

Side question, open for all: can LACs fly in atmosphere? Have they ever been deployed in orbit and then flown down to a few kilometers above ground, to fire on surface targets? As we've established, I not read further than AAC.
Post by tlb   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:35 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Mersal wrote:I'll consider the short stories. But since I'm light on cash, I think CoS and SoS is all I can do in a while.

If you are light on cash, then by all means download the free CD-ROM that Baen provided with Mission of Honor. It has a number of e-book formats for the books up through Mission of Honor.

If you do not have it, then look here for a copy:
Mission of Honor CD

One thing is that OBS, SVW and HOTQ are only in HTML format. I have found OBS and HOTQ in RTF format on other CDs, but not SVW yet (HTML is searchable the same as the others, it just means using a browser to read it).
Post by tlb   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:53 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Mersal wrote:Side question, open for all: can LACs fly in atmosphere? Have they ever been deployed in orbit and then flown down to a few kilometers above ground, to fire on surface targets? As we've established, I not read further than AAC.

I do not think that we have seen LAC's do it. In On Basilisk Station and the short story "A Whiff of Grapeshot" they used pinnaces to do that. Assault shuttles can also be used, perhaps a LAC is too big.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:12 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Mersal wrote:Side question, open for all: can LACs fly in atmosphere? Have they ever been deployed in orbit and then flown down to a few kilometers above ground, to fire on surface targets? As we've established, I not read further than AAC.

I do not think that we have seen LAC's do it. In On Basilisk Station and the short story "A Whiff of Grapeshot" they used pinnaces to do that. Assault shuttles can also be used, perhaps a LAC is too big.

A pinnance is ~250-300 tons, an Assault Shuttle, ~600 tons. A Shrike is 20,000 tons. It is a space based design with no atmospheric capability.
Post by Mersal   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:45 pm

Mersal
Ensign

tlb wrote:If you are light on cash, then by all means download the free CD-ROM that Baen provided with Mission of Honor. It has a number of e-book formats for the books up through Mission of Honor.

If you do not have it, then look here for a copy:
Mission of Honor CD

One thing is that OBS, SVW and HOTQ are only in HTML format. I have found OBS and HOTQ in RTF format on other CDs, but not SVW yet (HTML is searchable the same as the others, it just means using a browser to read it).

Hey, that is great. I will check this out, and elect to buy the ones that are given page-turners, because nothing beats turning real pages.

Return to Honorverse