Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 30 guests

Please help me name the last HH-novel I read? (novel ending)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Please help me name the last HH-novel I read? (novel ending)
Post by Mersal   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:30 am

Mersal
Ensign

Hi there! First time I found this forum, read my first HH novel 22 years ago.

I would be very grateful for some help idenrifying this novel. I read it about 12-15 years ago, and I think I can pretty accurately describe how it ended, for your identification. I want to pick up where I left off.

It was around the second or maybe third novel that used LAC carriers, and it ended something like this:

The last chapter before epilogue: a sizeable enemy fleet is invading a Manticore-held system somewhere, I think it was Havenites attacking.

As they start approaching the point where they can fire on the heart of the system, the Manticorans reveal the next new technology changing the balance of power, past the stage of LACs: a system-wide missile-contact network.

I think the Manticorans fire just one missile, from an absurdly long range, after which it shouldn't possibly be able to navigate, but their new inter-system network lets the missile travel and explode just in front of the enemy task force, with pinpoint precision.

This lets the Havenites know that they already are in range of all defending vessels' missile batteries, and what's more, they have been from the moment they arrived in the system.

The Havenites stop dead in their tracks and surrender unconditionally (or they flee, I don't know, it was 15 years ago).

Can anyone tell me which HH-novel ended this way? I'd love to pick up after that novel.

Grateful for any help.
Re: Please help me name the last HH-novel I read? (novel end
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:50 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

That’s the awful book. At Any Cost.
Post by Mersal   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:02 pm

Mersal
Ensign

kzt wrote:That’s the awful book. At Any Cost.

Thanks for the reply! Curious, what in your opinion made it worse than the others? Woild love to hear an opinion.

My taste has of course changed in two decades, I remember looking at the books in the bookshelf out of nostalgia 10 years ago, and figuring out that Paul Tankersley was literally Weber inserting his 30-year old "dark ponytail & glasses" self into the Honorverse, so he could bang his own invented Mary-Sue and then die a hero's death. :)

I am a ship-guy, always has been, sketched TIE Fighters in kindergarten 1984, and I've always liked the ship stuff in the Honorverse. The drama is functional and nothing more, but all the thriller stuff still inspired by Horatio Hornblower is great. I watched the TV show with Ioan Gruffudd a few years ago, great show.
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:11 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Mersal wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Curious, what in your opinion made it worse than the others? Woild love to hear an opinion.

Someone created an entire thread to poke at me about that...
Post by Mersal   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:26 pm

Mersal
Ensign

[/quote]
Someone created an entire thread to poke at me about that...[/quote]

Got a link? If you don't feel like repeating.

Also, if you think thst one is the worst, do you then mean by definition that the sequels I am pursuing are better?
Post by kzt   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:29 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:44 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Mersal wrote:The last chapter before epilogue: a sizeable enemy fleet is invading a Manticore-held system somewhere, I think it was Havenites attacking.
[cut]
The Havenites stop dead in their tracks and surrender unconditionally (or they flee, I don't know, it was 15 years ago).

Can anyone tell me which HH-novel ended this way? I'd love to pick up after that novel.

Hello Mersal

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the world of the honorverse. As others have said, you're describing At All Costs (AAC), which was published in 2005.

And this battle you're describing is not just any battle on any Manticore-held system. It's the Battle of Manticore, the one that effectively ended the wars with Haven.

The next book in the standard sequence is Mission of Honor (MoH), which picks up where this one left off... but also where the spin-offs have. So if you haven't, you may want to read Crown of Slaves and Torch of Freedom; Shadow of Saganami and Storm from the Shadows before you go to MoH. In particular, the events from both SftS and ToF greatly influence the story line in MoH and the next book, A Rising Thunder. In fact, AAC already had allusions to what had happened in SoS, though you may have missed.

So my recommendation is to read the books in publication order, including the Crown of Slaves and Saganami Island spin-offs

1. Crown of Slaves (2003)
  2. Shadow of Saganami (2004)
  3. At All Costs (2005; you're here)
  4. Storm from the Shadows (2009)
  5. Torch of Freedom (2009)
  6. Mission of Honor (2010)
  7. A Rising Thunder (2012)
  8. Shadow of Freedom (2013)
  9. Cauldron of Ghosts (2014)
  10. Shadow of Victory (2016)
  11. Uncompromising Honor (2018)
  12. To End in Fire (2021)

The "Dark Fall" short story is chronologically before any of those so you can read at any time, but I recommend before UH.

The two short stories about Eloise Pritchart ("Our Sacred Honor" in Infinite Stars and "Recruiting Exercise") are also chronologically earlier, but "Recruiting Exercise" has an epilogue that is at the same time as MoH. So read them both between MoH and ART.

And once you're done with those, you may want to travel back in time and read the four books in the Manticore Ascendant series. Honor has the same initials as Horatio Hornblower, but Travis Uriah Long has his character.

There are also four books in the Star Kingdom series, featuring Stephanie Harrington. Aside from someone musing that "Stephanie should be a fleet commander" (which my Kindle tells me I'm not the only one who's highlighted), it's not Military Sci-Fi. But they're great detective stories.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Mersal wrote:

My taste has of course changed in two decades, I remember looking at the books in the bookshelf out of nostalgia 10 years ago, and figuring out that Paul Tankersley was literally Weber inserting his 30-year old "dark ponytail & glasses" self into the Honorverse, so he could bang his own invented Mary-Sue and then die a hero's death. :)

I am a ship-guy, always has been, sketched TIE Fighters in kindergarten 1984, and I've always liked the ship stuff in the Honorverse. The drama is functional and nothing more, but all the thriller stuff still inspired by Horatio Hornblower is great. I watched the TV show with Ioan Gruffudd a few years ago, great show.

What have we here? Is this someone else who likes At All Costs!?

Hi Mersal! Such great tastes you have in books!

On Basilisk Station begins the series, and it is my absolute favorite Honorverse book. It introduces you to Honor and her inner circle. It is a very intimate tear jerker that sticks with you until the end, and it sets the tone of the entire series as far as I am concerned. It is one of my stranded on an island books.

But coming in at a close second is At All Costs. That book utilizes a timeless, tried and true ingredient. The cavalry charge!

Do take a look at the thread created to poke fun at kzt. It started out that way, but ended up honoring him. He has a lot of amazing insight into that book.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:50 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Let's just get his straight. 'The Honor of the Queen' is the best book in the series. Others come close, but it's the best.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Let's just get his straight. 'The Honor of the Queen' is the best book in the series. Others come close, but it's the best.

LOL

I like your passion, and I can certainly understand your choice. We had a thread once with people voicing their opinion on the matter, and IIRC, 'HoTQ' may have garnered the most votes, or as many as any. And if I have enough room to get it in my suitcase before I am stranded on an island, it will go. But! 'OBS' will definitely be packed first.

Anyhow, what do you know, you call 'AAC' an awful book. :o :lol: :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse