Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:22 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:33 pm

Fox2! wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Or we could get a new Charles story. Maybe he was selling victory but for too high a price?

Oh, oh! He was repeating his gambit with HMS Ellipse by trying to sell victory to the SLN. But said victory was a trojan horse: GNS Francis Mueller. Which made the price he had too pay too high.


I don't think the Graysons are going to let Francis Mueller get too far from Yeltsin's Star, was a matter of self-preservation. She's liable to inadvertently start a war with somebody.

Agreeed. I wouldn't want to send it to Bolthole, even in a convoy.
1. Everyone's worked too hard to get the GA, and lost too much.

2. Shannon would consider it an insult, if someone was sending junk to her.

3. Something's gonna break, or the mission will at best end with all but one guy on tranquilizers when they come over the alpha wall at R&D Station Bolthole.

I hope we see some good Havenite stories.
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by munroburton   » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:35 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Posts: 2328
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 am
Location: Scotland

Hmm. A short story in a previous anthology was titled What Price Dreams?. It was about Queen/Princess Adrienne's treecat adoption. Could be a continuation of that. Adrienne's reign was pretty eventful, so perhaps we're getting Edward Saganami and the Ranier war.
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:10 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3363
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

munroburton wrote:Hmm. A short story in a previous anthology was titled What Price Dreams?. It was about Queen/Princess Adrienne's treecat adoption. Could be a continuation of that. Adrienne's reign was pretty eventful, so perhaps we're getting Edward Saganami and the Ranier war.


That would be a great story. Edward Saganami is the literal poster of personal sacrifice in the RMN.

And nothing stops us from getting multiple stories on the same topic of victories with great personal sacrifices.
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:45 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:33 pm

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
munroburton wrote:Hmm. A short story in a previous anthology was titled What Price Dreams?. It was about Queen/Princess Adrienne's treecat adoption. Could be a continuation of that. Adrienne's reign was pretty eventful, so perhaps we're getting Edward Saganami and the Ranier war.


That would be a great story. Edward Saganami is the literal poster of personal sacrifice in the RMN.

And nothing stops us from getting multiple stories on the same topic of victories with great personal sacrifices.

Ohhh.

I think we're likely to get (I hope) at least one story from the Manticore-Haven Wars (1st or 2nd).

It would be interesting to maybe see a Haven-centric story?
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:01 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3363
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

Shannon_Foraker wrote:I think we're likely to get (I hope) at least one story from the Manticore-Haven Wars (1st or 2nd).

It would be interesting to maybe see a Haven-centric story?


That Charles is Shannon's long-lost older brother, who's equally intelligent, but less intellectual and more reckless, leading him to use his skills for conning entire governments?
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:16 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Posts: 863
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:34 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
munroburton wrote:Hmm. A short story in a previous anthology was titled What Price Dreams?. It was about Queen/Princess Adrienne's treecat adoption. Could be a continuation of that. Adrienne's reign was pretty eventful, so perhaps we're getting Edward Saganami and the Ranier war.


That would be a great story. Edward Saganami is the literal poster of personal sacrifice in the RMN.

And nothing stops us from getting multiple stories on the same topic of victories with great personal sacrifices.


Saganami would be one of The Four equivalent. Who are the others? I would consider Five, but Six would be a few too many.

In an RFC twist, Lisa Donnely Long, rather than Travis? But one of the Longs.
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:14 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:33 pm

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:I think we're likely to get (I hope) at least one story from the Manticore-Haven Wars (1st or 2nd).

It would be interesting to maybe see a Haven-centric story?


That Charles is Shannon's long-lost older brother, who's equally intelligent, but less intellectual and more reckless, leading him to use his skills for conning entire governments?

Ohh...

If we don't get a Charles story, do you think we'll get a Shannon one?

I really want Shannon's backstory, but a part of me doesn't, because I have a great headcanon one, although with RFC's aging, this may be our last one. I do want to know about her early naval career and more of Bolthole, though.
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:53 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3363
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

Shannon_Foraker wrote:Ohh...

If we don't get a Charles story, do you think we'll get a Shannon one?

I really want Shannon's backstory, but a part of me doesn't, because I have a great headcanon one, although with RFC's aging, this may be our last one. I do want to know about her early naval career and more of Bolthole, though.


I think that if there's a Haven story, it'll be either Shannon or Lester. They're the most interesting characters whose past is still left unexplored.
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:57 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3363
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:39 am

Fox2! wrote:Saganami would be one of The Four equivalent. Who are the others? I would consider Five, but Six would be a few too many.

In an RFC twist, Lisa Donnely Long, rather than Travis? But one of the Longs.


The Top Three in the RMN are Edward Saganami, Ellen D'Orville and Honor Harrington. The fourth after those three is probably Quentin Saint-James.

I've been wondering why the Manticore Ascendant stories take place so early in the history. If they were a couple of decades later, not only would they be closer to the official discovery of the Junction, but we'd have the opportunity for him to be a very senior officer when Ensign Edward Saganami graduates from the academy that will later bear his name.

As it is, Travis would be over 100 when Edward is born.
Top
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:12 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:33 pm

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:Ohh...

If we don't get a Charles story, do you think we'll get a Shannon one?

I really want Shannon's backstory, but a part of me doesn't, because I have a great headcanon one, although with RFC's aging, this may be our last one. I do want to know about her early naval career and more of Bolthole, though.


I think that if there's a Haven story, it'll be either Shannon or Lester. They're the most interesting characters whose past is still left unexplored.


Or Theisman, but I'd love a pair of Shannon and Lester stories.

If we had to squish it in one story...

Maybe Mr.Cowboy dealing with pirates as a junior officer, getting most of them, then they come back and Shannon's sent to deal with the rest and gets them all (at least for longer than Lester did, via innovative tactics, like the spinning-the-cruiser trick from HAE)? Neither of them knows about the other's role in it until Shannon's assigned to Lester's staff, and they chat about it, after Lester tries to talk to her about the events of HAE, and the subject changes gradually to this.

I hope this isn't breaking the rules here (if so, let me know, and I'll edit it), but I needed some way to put two officers from different generations in the same story, at the beginning of their careers, w/o time traveling. characters.
Top

Return to Honorverse