Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dauntless, Google [Bot] and 45 guests

New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: New Honorverse Anthology coming out Next Year
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:19 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Alfred Harrington's back story was being talked about as a stand alone novel by RFC at one point, but maybe you are right.

Yeah, I was trying to literally judge the book by its cover and guess who that space-suited person is and what hints him being out of the very blocky ship, with a shuttle nearby, could provide. But the track record on that isn't good...

I tried to guess what the station on the cover of TEiF was and guessed it was the Parmley Station... and that didn't even get a mention in nearly 900 pages.

Fred Armisen tried to judge UH by its cover and didn't do much better.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:24 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

I have thought of another possible First Victory ... the early career of Edward Saganami.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:27 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I have thought of another possible First Victory ... the early career of Edward Saganami.

I'd love that, but I think it's unlikely, unless it's Tom & Tim's story, but even then. The reason is that it's too close to where the Manticore Ascendant series is going, so they may want to leave some details open so they can explore them in later books. This story would necessarily involve the original Nike-class BCs and the (then-called) Manticore-class battleships that were brand, new, plus the first Ad Astra-class DNs.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:38 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Robert_A_Woodward wrote:I have thought of another possible First Victory ... the early career of Edward Saganami.

I'd love that, but I think it's unlikely, unless it's Tom & Tim's story, but even then. The reason is that it's too close to where the Manticore Ascendant series is going, so they may want to leave some details open so they can explore them in later books. This story would necessarily involve the original Nike-class BCs and the (then-called) Manticore-class battleships that were brand, new, plus the first Ad Astra-class DNs.
Saganami's early career would appear to be just over a century after the current Manticore Ascendant series. While that's a fair amount of time in a pre-prolong society I can see your point that it might constrain some of the choices Tom & Tim might want to make as the earlier series goes on.

Despite the efforts to nail down the tech and history bibles they're never really complete and without coordinating the stories there might be issues.

Which is a shame, because an early Edward Saganami story might be really good.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:35 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Saganami's early career would appear to be just over a century after the current Manticore Ascendant series. While that's a fair amount of time in a pre-prolong society I can see your point that it might constrain some of the choices Tom & Tim might want to make as the earlier series goes on.

Despite the efforts to nail down the tech and history bibles they're never really complete and without coordinating the stories there might be issues.

Which is a shame, because an early Edward Saganami story might be really good.

I might be projecting, but I think they may want to avoid getting too close to that period in history because I'd like the series get to the Junction's discovery. That's what I expect the objective of it is anyways.

I don't know why they decided to start that early (ACtD started in 1529) when the Junction wasn't officially discovered until 1585. By that time, Travis would likely be a retired admiral, so if the story progresses that far, it'll have to be with new characters. It also means Travis is not likely to interact with Saganami, because he'd be over 100 when the latter is born.
Post by rggarrott   » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:04 pm

rggarrott
Midshipman

Just downloaded "What Price Victory" ebook. Not saying David Weber is my favorite author, but my David Weber Ebooks folder has 63 files (including the entire Honorverse series), with a few of his collaborations tucked into other author's folders.
IMHO, his novella "First Victory" may be his best work ever. It beautifully captured the relationship of Alfred, Allison and Jacques and gives us a glimpse of their parents and their influence on their lives. Thanks for this chapter of the Honorverse.

Return to Honorverse