Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Honor awakened a sleeping GIANT

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor awakened a sleeping GIANT
Post by tlb   » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:44 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:A challenge in all this is that to send a ship or ships to any star within Z radius of that other end of the bridge also should scream BE VERY VERY QUITE when you do it because there may be an unfriendly welcoming committee there.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:Which they did. The GA scouting forces were not detected at all. The first clue Galton had of being detected was when Honor crossed the hyperwall with 250 superdreadnoughts.

I am not sure that they were undetected; the scout did not need current information, just what information that they got upon transit to normal space. So had they been detected, they would already be racing back to the GA in hyperspace by the time any warships got to the spot.

What makes me wonder is the remark when Honor's force arrived, that was something on the order of "well this is certainly not a scout".
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:43 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Theemile wrote:Well David has been mentioning this for the entire series, and the difference in the Mannerhiem population was specifically called out.

Are you sure it was on uplift? I do distinctly remember the population of all the RF member systems being against slavery and in general supportive of the Cherwell Convention, thus anti-Manpower.

I was wrong - I want back and reread - it stated specifically slavery. I'll eat my electrons...
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:42 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:I was wrong - I want back and reread - it stated specifically slavery. I'll eat my electrons...

Well, you definitely eat a lot of electrons, along with protons and neutrons every time you eat anything. In the order of 10 to the power of 25 per bite. :)
Post by kzt   » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:22 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

My suspicion is that the GA and people in the GA aren't going to be quiet about how they found Galton. People are going to want to claim credit for it. And those lessons will be applied.

It might mean everyone going in or out needs to park somewhere for some calculated period of time, or that ships will just cange registration (and various EM signatures that merchants don't normally think about) when they come in and out. Plus controlling an carefully managing where and how often agents show up.

For example, if you have 6 people who not only have the same name but the same DNA and travel on identical ships with the exact same signature what does that do to an analysis?
Post by Joat42   » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:37 pm

Joat42
Admiral

kzt wrote:My suspicion is that the GA and people in the GA aren't going to be quiet about how they found Galton. People are going to want to claim credit for it. And those lessons will be applied.

I would say that depends on if they actually believe that Galton was the end of the road for MAlign or not, plus their stance on reveling information that can be used to assess how the GA gathers and evaluates intelligence.

Regardless, I don't see any glory-hounds involved in the discovery of Galton and the military will most likely tell any glory-seeking politicians to pound sand in a polite way.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by kzt   » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:51 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:I would say that depends on if they actually believe that Galton was the end of the road for MAlign or not, plus their stance on reveling information that can be used to assess how the GA gathers and evaluates intelligence.

Regardless, I don't see any glory-hounds involved in the discovery of Galton and the military will most likely tell any glory-seeking politicians to pound sand in a polite way.

Have you seen the football spiking from the US Intel about the Ukraine war? People are people, and everyone likes the government leadership and population to know 'we do cool things and you should give us more money'.

And besides, the MA is dead.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:06 pm

Joat42
Admiral

kzt wrote:And besides, the MA is dead.

Not really, they just shed another layer or two from the onion.

The question is if we still should call them MAlign or not.

---

Post by kzt   » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:53 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:

From the point of view of the triumphant intel guys...
Post by Joat42   » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:27 am

Joat42
Admiral

Joat42 wrote:

kzt wrote:From the point of view of the triumphant intel guys...

Has it really been established that they think that? We haven't seen an analysis of the strike on Galton and the subsequent gathering of information from surviving computers-

---

Post by markusschaber   » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:54 pm

markusschaber
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

tlb wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Which they did. The GA scouting forces were not detected at all. The first clue Galton had of being detected was when Honor crossed the hyperwall with 250 superdreadnoughts.

What makes me wonder is the remark when Honor's force arrived, that was something on the order of "well this is certainly not a scout".

Yes. They knew the GA might be on hunt for them, as Detweiler jr. informed them. So they expected there might be some scouts coming. As they did not detect the actual scouts, the size of the footprint told them that they must have missed them.

Return to Honorverse