Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 165 guests

Honor awakened a sleeping GIANT

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor awakened a sleeping GIANT
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:
I disagree. These aren't tactics that have to be practiced. They are orders to use their already-practiced skills to accomplish a particular objective. Think 9/11--pilots were told to get their birds on the ground ASAP. Nobody practiced grounding all the planes, pilots already know how to get their birds on the ground ASAP. ATC already knew how to keep two planes out of the same piece of air or runway.

And from what we've seen the IT security on board anything other than a GA warship is atrocious. I think it's a matter of the crews not being competent--putting in good security would keep them from doing their jobs.

Considering the contingency plans in question, we are talking about a much more complicated task. Nobody practices anything related to committing EE violations in general. Those plans would have to be known beforehand just to have time to brief the crew on them. You don't want your XO threatening to have you arrested for issuing such orders. Or causing officers to mutiny and ignore your orders in the heat of battle.

However, if you wait to read the orders after everything has gone to hell in a handbasket, then you may have already committed yourself too far and are now in the incorrect position to tactically carry out those orders.

Jonathan_S wrote:First, neither of the two plans we know were found were (necessarily) EE violations. The parts of the Verge that OFS is likely to be pressuring are unlikely to have large enough orbital habitats for even a surprise destruction of their orbitals to rise to the level of an EE violation. (Remember, even Manticore didn't have that level of orbiting habitation -- the destruction of it's stations was specifically noted as not being an EE violation).

But also, just because a order has abhorrent results doesn't mean it is technically difficult to carry out. (A willingness to carry it out might be harder to find; but the skill aren't). Any warship that cared to could easily carry out an EE violation simply by targeting their missiles at a habitable planet and firing. They've plenty of training on aiming missiles -- and aiming them as at planet is easier than at a ship that might maneuver.

And any warship would be just as technically capable of targeting their missiles on an orbital or on a merchantman. Those aren't difficult tasks -- they're easier than the targets they practice shooting at. As Loren Pechtel said -- this is just applying skills they've already trained on.

But, now - which one of them - Fabius?, is an EE violation, isn't it?

At any rate, it is true that the planets targeted out in the Verge have little orbital industry, but they also most likely have no defense against any of it falling. No tug (probably only one in the entire system) or anything of the sort that wouldn't already be very busy. And the level of modernization on planet would most likely fare far less than modern buildings when the dust settles. And a system so poor would recover far less from the much greater impact (pun not intended) of such an attack.

At any rate, I also assumed that orders would be given to disguise the attacks in some sort of way, lest the Galaxy hears about them, which means carrying them out before contact has been made. And that means before any of those "preconditions" can occur.

Though, for the life of me, I cannot think of a single precondition that a system out in the Verge could manage to fall under facilitating such orders. And a sector governor would have to be already in contact with them to insist, which would nullify the possible "anonymity" of the attack. Actually, I wouldn't think a sector governor would be in on such an attack.

Now, systems that are more prepared to defend themselves might cause OFS to "break glass." But out in the Verge, I can't see anything other than Kews being necessary.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:43 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:But, now - which one of them - Fabius?, is an EE violation, isn't it?

At any rate, it is true that the planets targeted out in the Verge have little orbital industry, but they also most likely have no defense against any of it falling. No tug (probably only one in the entire system) or anything of the sort that wouldn't already be very busy. And the level of modernization on planet would most likely fare far less than modern buildings when the dust settles. And a system so poor would recover far less from the much greater impact (pun not intended) of such an attack.

At any rate, I also assumed that orders would be given to disguise the attacks in some sort of way, lest the Galaxy hears about them, which means carrying them out before contact has been made. And that means before any of those "preconditions" can occur.

Though, for the life of me, I cannot think of a single precondition that a system out in the Verge could manage to fall under facilitating such orders. And a sector governor would have to be already in contact with them to insist, which would nullify the possible "anonymity" of the attack. Actually, I wouldn't think a sector governor would be in on such an attack.

Now, systems that are more prepared to defend themselves might cause OFS to "break glass." But out in the Verge, I can't see anything other than Kews being necessary.

An EE violation is only an attack on a civilian population center using a weapon of mass destruction.

And RFC has said that even though it caused the destruction of Sphinx's 2nd largest city, Yawata Crossing, the Oyster Bay strike was NOT an EE violation.

Beowulf and Hypatia had significant enough orbital residential habitats that the destruction of those would be / was an EE violation. But Manticore's stations, despite the people who lived on them, didn't cross that threshold. They just weren't orbital cities.

So the destruction of some less industrialized verge planet is vastly unlikely to rise to the level of an EE violation; and what happens to the debris is outside of the EE's scope.

Though the "pirate" attack as the easier ones to conceal -- such systems wouldn't have the long range system surveillance sensors that Manticore has. And even Manticore's vast arrays that can see ships for light months away can't see more than their drive power and acceleration -- so it is quite easy to appear to be a weaker ship than you actually are by playing some quite straightforward games with your wedge. But the verge systems probably can't even see "pirates" prowling just inside the hyper limit -- and wouldn't have any LACs or ships to intervein even if they did. So even after the OFS offers protection an uptick in piracy in the area is possible suspicious -- but can't be proven to be OFS controlled.

Destruction of the orbital infrastructure -- well the easiest way to avoid seeing who did it would be to stay out of sensor range -- so send missiles in on very carefully selected ballistic paths. Still, as there's no plausible reason for "pirates" to simply blow up a system's orbitals that destruction would be pretty suspicious should anybody hear about it. OTOH if OFS takes over the planet they'd presumably try to restrict word getting out. But Case Fabius doesn't seem to be all that well thought out -- but its pretty despicable that it was even dreamed up and included as a possible contingency (whether or not it has ever been used).
Post by kzt   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:55 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Except that orbital habits apparently don’t count, it’s attack on planetary population centers or civilian populations that counts for edict violations.

But given the situation I doubt it matters.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:17 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Except that orbital habits apparently don’t count, it’s attack on planetary population centers or civilian populations that counts for edict violations.

An orbital population centre doesn't count?
Post by kzt   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:46 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

Pretty much. Note how, when Honor was blowing up planets orbital infrastructure, it was noted that you were not required to allow time for the orbital population to evacuate. It was common to do that, but life is hard if they were in a hurry.

Which is why lots of people in star systems under threat decide to live in orbital habitats. Oh, wait...
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:30 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
kzt wrote:Except that orbital habits apparently don’t count, it’s attack on planetary population centers or civilian populations that counts for edict violations.

I think there's a threshold where the population of an orbital facility gets high enough (especially when it had no military value) that its deliberate destruction via "WMD" would be an Edict violation.

RFC's infodump 'Expanding upon the Eridani Edict' says, in part,
runsforcelery wrote: Essentially, the Eridani Edict says that no star nation may engage in the wholesale and wanton slaughter of civilian populations using any weapon of mass destruction. The actual language of the edict is clearly oriented towards nuclear or kinetic strikes, but it applies more to the intent and purpose of the weapon than to its actual characteristics, except inasmuch as those characteristics may define the… controlability of its area of effect.

Under existing interstellar law, the phrase "wholesale and wanton slaughter" has a very specific meaning.

"Wholesale" means civilian casualties which go beyond the collateral damage associated with legitimate military operations as defined under the "laws of war" applicable to the Honorverse. "Wanton" means that those casualties were inflicted deliberately, or that prudent precautions to prevent them from happening were not taken. The Eridani Edict does not prohibit the use of "weapons of mass destruction" against inhabited planets. What it does do is to establish the parameters under which those weapons may be used.
So the orbital habitat's population would need to be sufficiently high to cross whatever that "wholesale" threshold is. And it would need to be lacking in the kinds of things (command and control of the system defenses; for example) that would make it a valid target anyway.

It'd basically have to be an orbital city that's just an orbital city -- then its total destruction might trigger the Edict.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:44 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:RFC's infodump 'Expanding upon the Eridani Edict' says, in part,
runsforcelery wrote: Essentially, the Eridani Edict says that no star nation may engage in the wholesale and wanton slaughter of civilian populations using any weapon of mass destruction. The actual language of the edict is clearly oriented towards nuclear or kinetic strikes, but it applies more to the intent and purpose of the weapon than to its actual characteristics, except inasmuch as those characteristics may define the… controlability of its area of effect.

Under existing interstellar law, the phrase "wholesale and wanton slaughter" has a very specific meaning.

"Wholesale" means civilian casualties which go beyond the collateral damage associated with legitimate military operations as defined under the "laws of war" applicable to the Honorverse. "Wanton" means that those casualties were inflicted deliberately, or that prudent precautions to prevent them from happening were not taken. The Eridani Edict does not prohibit the use of "weapons of mass destruction" against inhabited planets. What it does do is to establish the parameters under which those weapons may be used.
So the orbital habitat's population would need to be sufficiently high to cross whatever that "wholesale" threshold is. And it would need to be lacking in the kinds of things (command and control of the system defenses; for example) that would make it a valid target anyway.

It'd basically have to be an orbital city that's just an orbital city -- then its total destruction might trigger the Edict.

That's not how I read it. Any civilian casualty that wasn't an acceptable collateral effect of a military action is too many.

So if you fired a dart gun through the reactor of a strictly civilian habitat and you knew that was going to cause the reactor to go critical and blow, and it does, and a single person dies, it's an EE violation. The point in this case there is that you intentionally set out to kill civilians, targetting an objective that had no military value.

Similarly, if you blow up a military drone with overkill right next to a civilian habitat and civilians die, it's a violation because you did not take sensible precautions against civilian casualties. There may be a mitigating circumstance here that you may claim the enemy was using the civilian habitat as a human shield.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The conversation has certainly taken an interesting turn.

I was under the impression that attacking any installation causing death to civilian populations is a violation. When I said that a Navy needs to "practice" beforehand, also includes its need to "assess" the tactical situation, instead of the willy nilly chucking of missiles in a drive-by shooting which might impact the planet. And, of course, any premeditated attacks on the planet is a violation.

But, as I understood it, as represented by our discussion of Yildun, attacks on orbital infrastructure with a single civilian, is also a no no. Even if military combatants hide amongst; and I suppose, lest they are shooting at you.

Or, unless you are prepared to evacuate them, or, I suppose, give them sufficient time to evacuate themselves.

Or, unless your missiles have surgical precision which allows you to shoot the gnat off a ratsass.

Translated, unless you can shoot the military combatant off a civilian's ass.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:55 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

But if you choose to live on the the same orbital station as one of the main RMN naval bases....
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:But if you choose to live on the the same orbital station as one of the main RMN naval bases....

Indeed. I suppose what is being alluded to is minimal collateral damage. Which is such a subjective concept.

Return to Honorverse