Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: markusschaber and 23 guests

People's Commissioners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
People's Commissioners
Post by cthia   » Sat May 07, 2022 1:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

People's Commissioner

I never understood the criteria that went into choosing a People's Commissioner. The level of power they wielded was insane, and these people were chosen from among enlisted men, as well as other disciplines. But what made them so trusting in Saint-Just's eyes?

What became of most of them after the coup? Who would want to continue to work with some of them. And what would their rank be, going from a very powerful People's Commissioner.

BTW, am I the only one who missed that Eloise was once a People's Commissioner? To whom?

People's Commissioner - (wiki informant)

The People's Commissioners were special representatives of the Committee of Public Safety of the People's Republic of Haven assigned to monitor military commanders and personnel for signs of disloyalty or treason against the Committee.

Role and powers

Reporting directly to the Office of State Security and Secretary Oscar Saint-Just himself, People's Commissioners were present in all levels of command of the People's Navy, with a Commissioner assigned to every ship, squadron, task force or fleet command.[1] The Commissioners came from diverse backgrounds, many of them having originally been enlisted personnel of the People's Navy.

As they were the representatives of the Committee's will in the units to which they were assigned, Commissioners had the authority to countermand the orders given by the military commanders they "supervised". In addition, each Commissioner had the power to investigate and arrest any member of the military suspected of disloyalty or "treason against the People", as well as receiving the reports of those officers and enlisted personnel which chose to serve as informers for StateSec.

The role and authority of the Commissioners led to a great deal of resentment from the career military officers, especially if the Commissioner in question came from the enlisted ranks (as it was thought that their background led to overestimating their own knowledge of naval affairs). Further, given the Commissioners' lack of command experience and skills and a quickness to punish perceived cowardice, their involvement in military operations often led to suboptimal or outright disastrous results. However, better Commissioners were able to form working relationships with the naval officers they were responsible for, retaining a degree of military effectiveness without compromising loyalty. (HH5, HH6, HH7, HH8, HH9)

Uniform and customs

Under the military protocol established by the Committee, the People's Commissioners wore no rank insignia in their uniforms (despite their StateSec ranks) and were the only persons assigned to a military unit which could be addressed to as "Sir" or "Ma'am". (HH5, HH6)

Abolishment

The office and position of People's Commissioner was abolished with the restoration of the Republic of Haven. Several former People's Commissioners found new careers in the reborn Republic, including Denis LePic, who became the Republic's Attorney General, and Eloise Pritchart, who became acting head of state and was subsequently elected President. (HH10, HH11)

List of People's Commissioners

Calvin Addison
Kenneth Aston
Diana Citizen
Sandra Connors
George DuPres
Erasmus Fontein
Halket
Everard Honeker
Robert Jamka
Johnson
Denis Jourdain
Sharon Justice
James Keppler
Timothy Kuttner
Leopold
Denis LePic
Lasrina O'Faolain
Ludmilla Penevski
Michael Preznikov
Eloise Pritchart
Yuri Radamacher
Randal
Frank Reidel
Rhodes
Seifert
Sigourney
Jean Testaniere
Howard Wilkins

References
An exception were courier ships: such vessels were considered too small and unimportant to require their own commissioner. (HH7)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: People's Commissioners
Post by tlb   » Sat May 07, 2022 2:36 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:BTW, am I the only one who missed that Eloise was once a People's Commissioner? To whom?

How could you have missed that the person she was supposed to be watching was her lover, Citizen Admiral Javier Giscard?
Post by cthia   » Sat May 07, 2022 3:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:BTW, am I the only one who missed that Eloise was once a People's Commissioner? To whom?

How could you have missed that the person she was supposed to be watching was her lover, Citizen Admiral Javier Giscard?

Doh! Smacks self.

But did she actually serve aboard ship with him, riding him and dogging him like other Commissioners? (No response required from deprived minds regarding the "riding" aspect of that question please).

'Tis another reread I need.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat May 07, 2022 3:24 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:How could you have missed that the person she was supposed to be watching was her lover, Citizen Admiral Javier Giscard?

cthia wrote:Doh! Smacks self.

But did she actually serve aboard ship with him, riding him and dogging him like other Commissioners?

Of course she was onboard ship with him; the commissioner had to be present to review and approve every decision made by the person that they were assigned to watch.

Most of the State Security people transferred over from Internal Security, where Oscar Saint-Just was second in command as First Undersecretary. His boss's limousine was hit with a missile shortly before Robert Pierre took over. Others, such as Eloise, came from outside groups that recognized the new reality.
Post by cthia   » Sat May 07, 2022 3:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

tlb wrote:How could you have missed that the person she was supposed to be watching was her lover, Citizen Admiral Javier Giscard?

But did she actually serve aboard ship with him, riding him and dogging him like other Commissioners?

Of course she was onboard ship with him; the commissioner had to be present to review and approve every decision made by the person that they were assigned to watch.

Most of the State Security people transferred over from Internal Security, where Oscar Saint-Just was second in command as First Undersecretary. His boss's limousine was hit with a missile shortly before Robert Pierre took over. Others, such as Eloise, came from outside groups that recognized the new reality.

I definitely need a reread because I can't recall why she wouldn't have been aboard ship with him when he was killed.

Post by tlb   » Sat May 07, 2022 3:30 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Of course she was onboard ship with him; the commissioner had to be present to review and approve every decision made by the person that they were assigned to watch.

cthia wrote:I definitely need a reread because I can't recall why she wouldn't have been aboard ship with him when he was killed.

Because at that point she was President and no longer a commissioner!!!
Post by cthia   » Sat May 07, 2022 3:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:

tlb wrote:Of course she was onboard ship with him; the commissioner had to be present to review and approve every decision made by the person that they were assigned to watch.

cthia wrote:I definitely need a reread because I can't recall why she wouldn't have been aboard ship with him when he was killed.

Because at that point she was President and no longer a commissioner!!!

Did I mention that I am in serious need of a reread? But it is all coming back to me, the secret love affair and all. Thanks.

Post by Daryl   » Sat May 07, 2022 6:40 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Her cover as a Commissioner was that she was tough as nails and even more committed than anyone else, in public.
Post by tlb   » Sat May 07, 2022 7:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Her cover as a Commissioner was that she was tough as nails and even more committed than anyone else, in public.

As an Aprilist assassin, her anti-Legislaturalist credentials were perfect; while also being enough of a realist to accept a position in State Security (I believe she was one of the few Aprilist members to prosper under the new regime).
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sat May 07, 2022 7:26 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

OSJ must have initiated a purge of InSec ranks when he took over and merged it with the Mental Hygiene Police to form the StateSec. He needed competent people, often with flexible morals, which he'd found and probably nurtured in his time inside InSec, but he probably knew of hardliners who owed too much to the Legislaturalists. I'm guessing that was mostly the top (officer?) ranks.

The CPS coup didn't actually change the nature of the People's Republic, after all. So all the pre-existing propaganda of an egalitarian society, with the Basic Living Stipend (the dole) was still there. They only overthrew the aristocracy who had actually ruled the People's Republic.

But in doing that, he opened the gates for the revolutionaries to join up. We saw the scene where Rob S Pierre and Saint-Just gather fellow revolutionaries to literally sign on to the cause, and Cordelia Ransom was one. Ransom went on to control PubIn, not be a part of StateSec per se (I think), but she retained enough inside tracks there to have a StateSec BC at her disposal (PNS Tepes).

So anti-Legislaturalist revolutionaries signed on to the StateSec. As you can guess from pre-coup revolutionaries, their stories varied a lot, with differing levels of skills and intelligence. Those who were just thugs and who'd just wanted to fight would find a natural home there. But one of the groups that stood out for having struck only against Legislaturalist military and government targets only and cleanly were the members of the April Tribunal (the Aprilists). As tlb said above, they didn't all join StateSec, because their objective was the restoration of the Péricard Constitution, something the CPS government wasn't going to do. But some did... or maybe we should say they infiltrated StateSec?

We know of two very famous Aprilists: Kevin Usher, who would later become the head of the Federal Investigation Agency, and the leader of his former Aprilist Brigade, Eloise Pritchart.

If you haven't yet, read the two short stories about Eloise, "Our Sacred Honor" and "Recruiting Exercise".

Return to Honorverse