Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

Mentions in other books.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Mentions in other books.
Post by ZVar   » Tue May 03, 2022 3:21 am

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

I'm currently reading the Myth series by Robert Asprin.
In book 16 "Class Dis-Mythed" By Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye.
The heroes encounter a drunk manticore wreaking havoc in a village.

Turns out his name is "Evad" who is an Ensign in the Royal Mantorican Navy on leave.

Anyone know of any other books with easter eggs that mention any of David's books?
Re: Mentions in other books.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 03, 2022 6:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ZVar wrote:I'm currently reading the Myth series by Robert Asprin.
In book 16 "Class Dis-Mythed" By Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye.
The heroes encounter a drunk manticore wreaking havoc in a village.

Turns out his name is "Evad" who is an Ensign in the Royal Mantorican Navy on leave.

Anyone know of any other books with easter eggs that mention any of David's books?

Interesting. Also, do note that Evad spelled backward is Dave.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ZVar   » Tue May 03, 2022 2:25 pm

ZVar
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:Interesting. Also, do note that Evad spelled backward is Dave.

That's what makes me certain it's an easter egg for Honorverse and not some other random mention, or me just seeing something that isn't there.
Also, why I even mentioned the name.
Post by tlb   » Tue May 03, 2022 9:22 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

This is not exactly what you wanted, but I find it interesting anyway. In chapter 19 of Mission of Honor Admiral Crandall's fleet arrives at Spindle. When she opens communication, there is a man reading a book, rather than giving her the expected respect:
A book reader which was aligned—not, Shavarshyan suspected, just coincidentally—so that a sharp eyed observer could look over his shoulder and recognize a novel about the psychically gifted detective Garrett Randall by the highly popular Darcy Lord.
As it happens, Lord Darcy is the creation of author Randall Garrett; the character is the Chief Forensic Investigator for the Duke of Normandy in a world that discovered magic and where the British Empire is still ruled in the age of steam power by the Plantagenet dynasty. There are various short stories and a novel written between the 60s and 80s. In 1983 all the stories were collected by his friends in a single book, Lord Darcy, to help pay medical bills after he suffered a brain disease that destroyed his memory.

I liked the Myth books, but got tired of waiting for more when Robert Lynn Asprin developed writer's block (or some set of personal and financial problems). I am not sure if I read many that were co-authored by Jody Lynn Nye.

Return to Honorverse