Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests

Super duper prolong

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Super duper prolong
Post by Lonny   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:37 pm

Lonny
Midshipman

In Shadow of Victory chapter 57 Harahap is on Seraphim eating at The Soup Spoon.

Tanawat and Sirada Saowaluk were both first-generation prolong recipients in their early eighties—although Sirada ferociously warned everyone in sight that they’d better not call her “Thai Grandma!”—and they’d spent seventy-odd decades honing their culinary skills, which explained why they were two of the best cooks Harahap had ever encountered.

That must be some nth generation prolong! :lol:

Lonny
Re: Super duper prolong
Post by tlb   » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:03 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Lonny wrote:In Shadow of Victory chapter 57 Harahap is on Seraphim eating at The Soup Spoon.

Tanawat and Sirada Saowaluk were both first-generation prolong recipients in their early eighties—although Sirada ferociously warned everyone in sight that they’d better not call her “Thai Grandma!”—and they’d spent seventy-odd decades honing their culinary skills, which explained why they were two of the best cooks Harahap had ever encountered.

That must be some nth generation prolong! :lol:

Lonny

You are right; that is clearly an error, since the text already said "first-generation prolong recipients" and "in their early eighties". So either "seven decades" or "seventy years".
Post by Fireflair   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:39 am

Fireflair
Captain of the List

I must admit to having gotten lost in all the prolong generations and their effects. Especially once there was discussion about the additional genome edits the MAlign had performed making their star lines even longer lived. AND on top of that was the MAlign's 'improved' prolong.

Just how long does the most modern and best generation get to live?
Post by munroburton   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:11 am

munroburton
Admiral

Fireflair wrote:I must admit to having gotten lost in all the prolong generations and their effects. Especially once there was discussion about the additional genome edits the MAlign had performed making their star lines even longer lived. AND on top of that was the MAlign's 'improved' prolong.

Just how long does the most modern and best generation get to live?

That isn't certain yet, because the introduction of third generation prolong occurred so recently that Honor Harrington was one of the first recipients. Indeed, since the first generation was introduced in ~1825, they haven't had enough time to truly test prolong. That's 100 years prior to 1925 with a treatment age cap of 25, meaning the oldest humans with prolong can only be 125 years old or so, well short of the 200-250 they were projected to get.

IIRC, Honor Harrington's prolong generation was projected to live until around 300-350. The Alignment's improved version is probably closer to 500 years, but as above, nobody can know for several more centuries whether prolong really does work as advertised. The Honorverse's scientists can't get useful quantities of old-age-death data from first-gen prolong until around 2075. Third-gen prolong's deaths probably won't be until the 2200s.
Post by cthia   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It appears that each generation of prolong adds an additional century, respectively, to your current life expectancy.

1st gen = 100+ years
2nd gen = 200+ years
3rd gen = 300+ years

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:41 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:It appears that each generation of prolong adds an additional century, respectively, to your current life expectancy.

1st gen = 100+ years
2nd gen = 200+ years
3rd gen = 300+ years

I think your numbers are wrong. To begin with, there are multiple members of the last pre-prolong generation living past 100 years, even close to 120. IIRC (which I might not), 1st generation was about 200 years, 2nd, about 250 years, and 3rd, was 300 years.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Theemile   » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:02 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
cthia wrote:It appears that each generation of prolong adds an additional century, respectively, to your current life expectancy.

1st gen = 100+ years
2nd gen = 200+ years
3rd gen = 300+ years

I think your numbers are wrong. To begin with, there are multiple members of the last pre-prolong generation living past 100 years, even close to 120. IIRC (which I might not), 1st generation was about 200 years, 2nd, about 250 years, and 3rd, was 300 years.

Some of the major differences between prolong generations, are

1) the ages it needs to be applied, (1st gen could be applied as old as ~26, 3rd as a pre-adolescent)
2) The apparent age you stabilize at (Haimish looked a healthy 40 with greys on the tips, Honor looked looked ~20 while in her 50s)
3) how you age. (3rd gen forced you to spend 20-30 years looking like a teenager.)

All seem to extend you past 250 years into the ~300-300+ range
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:12 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

In AAC, wasn't Hamish reflecting on how Honor's grandmother (Allison's mother) was the first recipient of the first generation prolong treatments because she had invented the process and experimented on herself? He was carrying baby pictures to show their great-grandmother while he was at the GA conference on Beowulf Alpha. Which is why he and Jacque weren't trapped in the conference room when Alpha went high order.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Mon May 02, 2022 3:54 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Fox2! wrote:In AAC, wasn't Hamish reflecting on how Honor's grandmother (Allison's mother) was the first recipient of the first generation prolong treatments because she had invented the process and experimented on herself? He was carrying baby pictures to show their great-grandmother while he was at the GA conference on Beowulf Alpha. Which is why he and Jacque weren't trapped in the conference room when Alpha went high order.

I don't recall that in AAC, but haven't read ART or UH, which might have the attack on Beowulf.
Post by tlb   » Mon May 02, 2022 4:07 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:In AAC, wasn't Hamish reflecting on how Honor's grandmother (Allison's mother) was the first recipient of the first generation prolong treatments because she had invented the process and experimented on herself? He was carrying baby pictures to show their great-grandmother while he was at the GA conference on Beowulf Alpha. Which is why he and Jacque weren't trapped in the conference room when Alpha went high order.

Shannon_Foraker wrote:I don't recall that in AAC, but haven't read ART or UH, which might have the attack on Beowulf.

The reference is to Uncompromising Honor, not At All Costs; so you will eventually read it (I assume).

Return to Honorverse