Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests

Welcome to recent new member Shannon Foraker!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Welcome to recent new member Shannon Foraker!
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sat May 07, 2022 8:35 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
tlb wrote:We know the officers had to be educated, because the lower ranks were people off the Dole. However the officers with the best chance to advance were those from Legislaturalist families.

No doubt. But that doesn't mean that others from outside those families had no chance. Arrogance may have played a large part in not properly recognising the people that were their "inferiors" but some must have stood out. Shannon would have been one.

Also, who's to say she wasn't a distant relation of a Legislaturalist family? Close enough to get good education, but far enough that she'd have been allowed to continue her career as Citizen Lieutenant once the CPS took over and the StateSec purged the Legislaturalist officers off the PN.

Plus, even the StateSec would have recognised her capabilities. The passage above about two people's commissioners passing on reports about her make it clear it had happened at least once. And, of course, no one in StateSec underestimated her capabilities after her final message... those that lived, at least.

Oh... Or she could have hacked her file, and when people asked if she was a Legislaturalist's relation, she'd say "No. Look at my file. It says middle class."
Post by tlb   » Sat May 07, 2022 8:44 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:We know the officers had to be educated, because the lower ranks were people off the Dole. However the officers with the best chance to advance were those from Legislaturalist families.

ThinksMarkedly wrote:No doubt. But that doesn't mean that others from outside those families had no chance. Arrogance may have played a large part in not properly recognising the people that were their "inferiors" but some must have stood out. Shannon would have been one.

Also, who's to say she wasn't a distant relation of a Legislaturalist family? Close enough to get good education, but far enough that she'd have been allowed to continue her career as Citizen Lieutenant once the CPS took over and the StateSec purged the Legislaturalist officers off the PN.

Plus, even the StateSec would have recognised her capabilities. The passage above about two people's commissioners passing on reports about her make it clear it had happened at least once. And, of course, no one in StateSec underestimated her capabilities after her final message... those that lived, at least.

We know that Theisman was made an officer out the Dolist pool, so there were junior officers without family connections; the problem is simply that they were never going to make high rank. Robert Pierre's son did rise in rank, but that still depended on connections (just not strictly Legislaturalist ones).

The Peoples' Republic of Haven did trade with the Solarian League, so there would have technical resources. Her technical brilliance might have helped entrance into the Corps; but unless a short origin story is written for Shannon Foraker, we are not going to know the details.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sat May 07, 2022 8:51 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

tlb wrote:

ThinksMarkedly wrote:No doubt. But that doesn't mean that others from outside those families had no chance. Arrogance may have played a large part in not properly recognising the people that were their "inferiors" but some must have stood out. Shannon would have been one.

We know that Theisman was made an officer out the Dolist pool, so there were junior officers without family connections; the problem is simply that they were never going to make high rank. Robert Pierre's son did rise in rank, but that still depended on connections (just not strictly Legislaturalist ones).

The Peoples' Republic of Haven did trade with the Solarian League, so there would have technical resources. Her technical brilliance might have helped entrance into the Corps; but unless a short origin story is written for Shannon Foraker, we are not going to know the details.

We need one, and while I don't post certain fan things I do on this forum, PM me if you want to know about my Honorverse projects, which I won't be posting links to here (So it should be fine, Duckk.).

Let's just say that if you want more info, just PM me.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun May 08, 2022 12:03 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Her technical brilliance might have helped entrance into the Corps; but unless a short origin story is written for Shannon Foraker, we are not going to know the details.

Though if House of Lies ever gets published she should have one of the entries in the short bio section; so we might learn a bit more via that route.
Post by tlb   » Sun May 08, 2022 12:36 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Her technical brilliance might have helped entrance into the Corps; but unless a short origin story is written for Shannon Foraker, we are not going to know the details.

Jonathan_S wrote:Though if House of Lies ever gets published she should have one of the entries in the short bio section; so we might learn a bit more via that route.

While we are dreaming, let's add a possibility of House of Lies being paired with a novel; the same as House of Steel was paired with the story "I Will Build My House of Steel".
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

tlb wrote:

Jonathan_S wrote:Though if House of Lies ever gets published she should have one of the entries in the short bio section; so we might learn a bit more via that route.

While we are dreaming, let's add a possibility of House of Lies being paired with a novel; the same as House of Steel was paired with the story "I Will Build My House of Steel".

I think it was going to be paired with a story, like House of Steel. I'd love a Havenite-centered novel with Shannon.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Sun May 08, 2022 12:03 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:I think it was going to be paired with a story, like House of Steel. I'd love a Havenite-centered novel with Shannon.

I'd love that too but it doesn't seem to have enough content for that. For Shannon, it would probably have to be a short story like "Our Sacred Honor" gave us the background on Pritchart.

So what would the story be about? About the DuQuesne Plan's founding? The first conquests in the 1840s, simultaneous with "I Will Build My House of Steel"? Or maybe the founding of the Republic, with Péricard? On the latter, I'd be very interested in finding out why Haven was such a success, when we keep being told that Verge nations are generally poor and backslide.
Post by cthia   » Tue May 10, 2022 5:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:I think it was going to be paired with a story, like House of Steel. I'd love a Havenite-centered novel with Shannon.

I'd love that too but it doesn't seem to have enough content for that. For Shannon, it would probably have to be a short story like "Our Sacred Honor" gave us the background on Pritchart.

So what would the story be about? About the DuQuesne Plan's founding? The first conquests in the 1840s, simultaneous with "I Will Build My House of Steel"? Or maybe the founding of the Republic, with Péricard? On the latter, I'd be very interested in finding out why Haven was such a success, when we keep being told that Verge nations are generally poor and backslide.

What?!!! In Shannon's case there should be plenty of grist for the meal, even withholding her childhood history.

1. Her first battle as tac officer.
2. Her debriefings.
3. Her Academy days.
4. Her first months at Bolthole.
5. The 411 on her OOPS.
6. Why she isn't married or dating.
7. Her first day aboard ship. (Do recall Honor as an Ensign and her first significant events. I remember her taking charge of a spilled cart of weapons??? She saved someone's life???) Shannon simply has to have a beginning that is just as interesting.
8. Her POV of Ransom and why she saved Honor's life.
9. Shannon's POV of the battle scenes she was in.

Do you notice that there are absolutely no mentions of a significant other in Shannon's life? Or Sonja's life for that matter. Is it better for someone in their classified workaholic lives to be single?

As an aside: Einstein had an estimated IQ of 160. Do you suppose the same IQ test is used in the HV? With Alphas running amok, they are probably off the scale.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue May 10, 2022 6:17 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:I'd love that too but it doesn't seem to have enough content for that. For Shannon, it would probably have to be a short story like "Our Sacred Honor" gave us the background on Pritchart.

What?!!! In Shannon's case there should be plenty of grist for the meal, even withholding her childhood history.

2. Her debriefings.
3. Her Academy days.
5. The 411 on her OOPS.
7. Her first day aboard ship. (Do recall Honor as an Ensign and her first significant events. I remember her taking charge of a spilled cart of weapons??? She saved someone's life???) Shannon simply has to have a beginning that is just as interesting.

Do you notice that there are absolutely no mentions of a significant other in Shannon's life? Or Sonja's life for that matter. Is it better for someone in their classified workaholic lives to be single?

As an aside: Einstein had an estimated IQ of 160. Do you suppose the same IQ test is used in the HV? With Alphas running amok, they are probably off the scale.

I agree that RFC could write a good meaty Shannon story.

However I don't think that's the story that would appear in House of Lies. The story/novella in that would almost certainly be something central to the Legislaturalist Republic -- giving key points in the history of Haven from before the main books started. (Though something focused on Rob Pierre from during the war is a lesser possibility; and that might allow touching on the establishment of Bolthole which could be something of a counterpart to House of Steel introducing us to Project Gram)

But Shannon just isn't central to the history of Haven, at least not back then, and so I don't see her being the main character of such a story.

(So really I want a Shannon story in the next anthology, whenever that comes out AND House of Lies with it's more Haven history focused story. What, no, I'm not greedy :D)
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:24 am

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:I'd love that too but it doesn't seem to have enough content for that. For Shannon, it would probably have to be a short story like "Our Sacred Honor" gave us the background on Pritchart.

2. Her debriefings.
3. Her Academy days.
5. The 411 on her OOPS.

I agree that RFC could write a good meaty Shannon story.

However I don't think that's the story that would appear in House of Lies. The story/novella in that would almost certainly be something central to the Legislaturalist Republic -- giving key points in the history of Haven from before the main books started. (Though something focused on Rob Pierre from during the war is a lesser possibility; and that might allow touching on the establishment of Bolthole which could be something of a counterpart to House of Steel introducing us to Project Gram)

But Shannon just isn't central to the history of Haven, at least not back then, and so I don't see her being the main character of such a story.

(So really I want a Shannon story in the next anthology, whenever that comes out AND House of Lies with it's more Haven history focused story. What, no, I'm not greedy :D)

Me too! Next anthology is Feb 2023.

Return to Honorverse