Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 51 guests

Missing Audiobooks

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Missing Audiobooks
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:51 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:if you go to the safehold section and try and find the topic "change of narrtors". you will find the whole story there but in brief the man hired to narrate one of the safehold books made some unapproved alterations to his script/book text.

I believe it was something along the lines of adding "and then they kissed" into the middle of a sentence that was detailing the loading and firing of a canon.

when brought to RFC's attention he was not pleased and that man has been banned from working on any more of RFC's books.

I'd provide a link but don't have time. I didn't see the thread topic on the first 50 pages but I was moving quickly to try and answer this before I had to move onto other things.

Safehold stories are TOR books and any Narrator would be a TOR contracted Narrator - I don't know how that would effect Baen books in general unless they used the same individual.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:11 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

well at least the first 6 Honorverse use a female narrator, so unless that changed for book 7 (IEH) onwards then the problems with the new books are not to do with that person.

I believe the female narrator is quite popular (I've heard her voice on at least 2 other authors works), so it could simply be finding the time for projects the size of RFC works has proved difficult.
Post by richardinor   » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:58 am

richardinor
Commander

Then why wont Baen tell us why the delay and when we might see the audio books? All we get from Baen is silence.
Post by rastamann   » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:44 am

rastamann
Midshipman

I don't believe the change in narrators is the answer, as Oliver Wyman, who is who David wanted banned, was nowhere near the HH books. Allyson Johnson is the narrator for the main series;

Eric Michael Summerer has been the narrator for the Manticore Ascendant series and that's one of the ones missing.

It has now been a little over a year since a David Weber book was released by audible, and that was The Valkyrie Protocol, which was also not by Oliver Wyman. We're also missing book 4 of the Dahak series.

This really is a problem to me, as the only David Weber book I bought physically was the one narrated by Charles Keating (the worst narrator I've ever had the displeasure of listening to - he can make the most action-filled sequence a boring ordeal). It's hard for me to get the physical books where I live, so...
Post by Robin_WH   » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:51 am

Robin_WH
Ensign

rastamann wrote:I don't believe the change in narrators is the answer, as Oliver Wyman, who is who David wanted banned, was nowhere near the HH books. Allyson Johnson is the narrator for the main series;

Eric Michael Summerer has been the narrator for the Manticore Ascendant series and that's one of the ones missing.

It has now been a little over a year since a David Weber book was released by audible, and that was The Valkyrie Protocol, which was also not by Oliver Wyman. We're also missing book 4 of the Dahak series.

This really is a problem to me, as the only David Weber book I bought physically was the one narrated by Charles Keating (the worst narrator I've ever had the displeasure of listening to - he can make the most action-filled sequence a boring ordeal). It's hard for me to get the physical books where I live, so...

I agree, this does not seem like the true reason for missing 3 audiobooks from 3 different spin-offs. And audiobooks are also main source for me, since I have very little space and time for classic books. You can listen to book while you're doing chores and travelling.

I will only add, that Honor books 1-10 were also narrated by Madelyn Buzzard (on cassette), which I consider superior to Allyson Johnson, at least on pronounciation side. How the newer narrators butcher German, Czech and other slavic names and other words is quite terrible.
Post by JamieMacPherson   » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:15 pm

JamieMacPherson
Ensign

As someone with Failing Sight I depend on audio books to listen to these wonderful stories I really hope what ever the issue is they resolve it soon. I am sad to think this god send of a way to enjoy books again may be lost with the books from my favorite author. I dont need to know a lot just yes we will or no we wont be doing the audio books would be nice....
Post by martin   » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:41 pm

martin
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Same question as everyone on this thread. Can RFC or an agent find out why? Seems strange that no audiobook of ‘A Call to Insurrection’. I love to listen while driving, so no substitute.
Post by richardinor   » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:16 pm

richardinor
Commander

Did anyone ask Toni at Liberty Con about this?
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:18 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

martin wrote:Same question as everyone on this thread. Can RFC or an agent find out why? Seems strange that no audiobook of ‘A Call to Insurrection’. I love to listen while driving, so no substitute.

Guys, sorry to say, RFC hasn't posted on this site (not just this forum, the entire site) in almost 2 years. Duckk, the site admin, posted once after the site crashed in April, but hasn't been seen otherwise since fall 2021.

In short - even here, no one of import is listening. I agree it's a serious issue - Normally I'd suggest to talk to Toni over at the Baen main site - but that seem a dead end too. You may want to report my post and see if that gets attention.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:03 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I'm not a fan of Facebook, see it more of a necessary evil to help keep track of authors I follow, but I have seen responses under RFC's name to questions about his works not that long ago. A month or two tops.

no guarantee of getting answers there any more then here but he does seem much more responsive, though rarely to the depth of many of his posts here on the forum.

Return to Honorverse