Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Anton and Boris

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Anton and Boris
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
tlb wrote:Note that the text implies that the original Helen (but certainly not Cathy) had heard him sing in a church choir, with no hint of the result (except for the desire to hear him in a secular role).

cthia wrote:Could it be that he had an extraordinary vocal range and Cathy was aware of it? Tim Robbins has a 10 octave vocal range with notes so low only elephants can hear it. And who knows what "technology" - or results from genetic tampering - can do to assist that range in the Honorverse.

What you are saying about the possibilities of genetic modification is true, but the quoted text implies that he was unknown to her: note that it takes a bit to connect him to Helen Zilwicki.

I see, but does unknown to her in a personal sense, also imply unheard of?

Disregard this post. You meant Anton.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by phillies   » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:50 pm

phillies
Admiral

Paul Green wrote:Contrary to Cathy Montaigne's suggestion, the role of Boris Gudenov calls for a bass-baritone, rather than a deep bass such as Anton Zelinsky is described as. Is this Cathy's error or David Weber's?

We are many centuries in the future. Middle C may have drifted considerably, just as notes have drifted appreciably upward since Telemann's day. Alternatively, the record of the score after all these years may be simply wrong.
Post by markusschaber   » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:50 am

markusschaber
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

phillies wrote:
Paul Green wrote:Contrary to Cathy Montaigne's suggestion, the role of Boris Gudenov calls for a bass-baritone, rather than a deep bass such as Anton Zelinsky is described as. Is this Cathy's error or David Weber's?

We are many centuries in the future. Middle C may have drifted considerably, just as notes have drifted appreciably upward since Telemann's day. Alternatively, the record of the score after all these years may be simply wrong.

Or maybe Cathy just wants to make a nice remark, and is a bit sloppy about the details here. Or there's a deep bass version of Boris Gudenovs part - there are other examples of music being transcribed to other instrumens, or adapted to the capabilities of a singer, see the "Sound of Silence" versions from "Disturbed" or "Pentatonix", which are art of its own while still paying tribute to the original by Simon&Garfunkel.

Return to Honorverse