Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 155 guests

Why did everyone become dumb at the end of TEIF?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Why did everyone become dumb at the end of TEIF?
Post by Theemile   » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:04 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:
And if all of the naysayers are right that the Spiders can't possibly have been hatched this soon, then DW is setting the stage for a heaping helping of arachnophobia. It does seem ironic that the very experienced GA seemed to ignore the possibility that they exist. Or, like my spidery naysayers in the forum, Simoes may have given a timeline for their possible completion.

They exist now. WE know they exist. The appropriately cleared people in the MAN and MA know they exist.

Simoes knows that there was a rumor of some sort of black program involving some sort of unusual propulsion. Exactly how much Simoes knows is unclear. He's an expert on hyperspace physics, so he might actually know very little and made a lot of logical guesses. There is no evidence that he had any knowledge or suspicion that this was combined by some sort of plot-device-class super stealth system that violates thermodynamics.

He had never seen the actual hardware for his project, he absolutely had never seen any of the components of a spider drive. He has no certain knowledge that the project can produce viable HW, much less that it already had done this years ago, much less that the MAN was working on these monster ships.

So, some cleared people in the RMN etc knows that there is a rumor that there was some sort of project that produced some sort of drive that differed from the impeller.

They also know that the attack didn't require any such mystery technology. None of the missiles that launched in-ststem were detected prior to their drive lighting off.

And the details of the attack are not exactly clear, especially at the stations. Having dozens of gigaton-range fusions reactors blowing up inside the station while dozens of megaton range weapons go off outside is hard on sensors and recording equipment.

By Spider, Cthia means the Leonard Detweiler Class - While we know that there are at least 3 other classes of ships currently in use which use the Spider drive (and at least 1 munition).
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
cthia wrote:
And if all of the naysayers are right that the Spiders can't possibly have been hatched this soon, then DW is setting the stage for a heaping helping of arachnophobia. It does seem ironic that the very experienced GA seemed to ignore the possibility that they exist. Or, like my spidery naysayers in the forum, Simoes may have given a timeline for their possible completion.

They exist now. WE know they exist. The appropriately cleared people in the MAN and MA know they exist.

Simoes knows that there was a rumor of some sort of black program involving some sort of unusual propulsion. Exactly how much Simoes knows is unclear. He's an expert on hyperspace physics, so he might actually know very little and made a lot of logical guesses. There is no evidence that he had any knowledge or suspicion that this was combined by some sort of plot-device-class super stealth system that violates thermodynamics.

He had never seen the actual hardware for his project, he absolutely had never seen any of the components of a spider drive. He has no certain knowledge that the project can produce viable HW, much less that it already had done this years ago, much less that the MAN was working on these monster ships.

So, some cleared people in the RMN etc knows that there is a rumor that there was some sort of project that produced some sort of drive that differed from the impeller.

They also know that the attack didn't require any such mystery technology. None of the missiles that launched in-ststem were detected prior to their drive lighting off.

And the details of the attack are not exactly clear, especially at the stations. Having dozens of gigaton-range fusions reactors blowing up inside the station while dozens of megaton range weapons go off outside is hard on sensors and recording equipment.

Theemile wrote:By Spider, Cthia means the Leonard Detweiler Class - While we know that there are at least 3 other classes of ships currently in use which use the Spider drive (and at least 1 munition).

Thanks. I suppose I should be careful about referring to the Lenny Detweilers that way. But Spider simply sounds more dramatic, scarier, more interesting, and just downright more dangerous. For stealth's sake, I suspect they will be as black as the darkest hue of space. Which means that if they have nicknames given to them by their crew as well as their GA counterparts, then I don't think The Black Widow sounds too far-fetched.

At any rate, the three classes of ships using the spider drive will be the Lenny Detweiler Class, the Shark Class, and the Ghost Class.

I didn't think the Shark Class actually has any tactical use, and it is to be replaced by the LDs. And the Ghost Class is actually a scout ship. Pretty much leaving only the LDs.

Although, in the Darius system, the Sharks could be used as bait, as a distraction, and/or as a misdirection.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:34 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:At any rate, the three classes of ships using the spider drive will be the Lenny Detweiler Class, the Shark Class, and the Ghost Class.

I didn't think the Shark Class actually has any tactical use, and it is to be replaced by the LDs. And the Ghost Class is actually a scout ship. Pretty much leaving only the LDs.

That we know of. But a one-size-fits-all solution makes for a poor balance of force mix. I don't think even the newbies at the MAN would be that naïve.

Do note that "size" in "one-size-fits-all" need not literally mean size. If there's little to be gained when decreasing size, then you don't need to reduce it. For example, in Glynn Stewart's "Castle Federation" series (and there's a new book coming this month!), he said ships came in only one size, as big as possible, because the limiting factor was how much volume the Alcubierre-Stetson field could wrap and move in FTL. And yet, the forces at play did have carriers, battleships and battlecruisers: the difference wasn't size, but what they were equipped with, and that led to their role in battle.

In the MAN case, I expect they should have both spider- and impeller-driven ships. I also expect that the spider ones will have a minimum size, which is that which allows them to achieve 250 gravities of acceleration.
Post by Theemile   » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:56 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Thanks. I suppose I should be careful about referring to the Lenny Detweilers that way. But Spider simply sounds more dramatic, scarier, more interesting, and just downright more dangerous. For stealth's sake, I suspect they will be as black as the darkest hue of space. Which means that if they have nicknames given to them by their crew as well as their GA counterparts, then I don't think The Black Widow sounds too far-fetched.

At any rate, the three classes of ships using the spider drive will be the Lenny Detweiler Class, the Shark Class, and the Ghost Class.

Although, in the Darius system, the Sharks could be used as bait, as a distraction, and/or as a misdirection.

The LDs are the 4th class - there is a class of BC sized Auxiliaries currently active used as Luxury yachts.

And the Sharks were used in system strikes, I would class that a tactical use, even if they are going to be outdated and replaced by the LDs. The Ghosts are made for scouting and terminal guidance of munitions - a mobile Moriarity system writ small.

Modern tactics are based on shells of systems working in harmony. Bradleys, Apaches, humvees and Abrams all have weaknesses and limitations; used properly together, they are greater then their individual strengths. Same here.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by tlb   » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:43 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:The LDs are the 4th class - there is a class of BC sized Auxiliaries currently active used as Luxury yachts.

What do we know about the yachts? I assumed that they were wedge driven and streak drive equipped, because that would be the fastest in both normal and hyper space. We have seen both Anisimovna and Harahap in smaller yachts that were were wedge and streak drive equipped and I do not understand why the bigger ones would be different. The visits to Galton could not have been done in a spider drive ship.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:30 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Theemile wrote:The LDs are the 4th class - there is a class of BC sized Auxiliaries currently active used as Luxury yachts.

What do we know about the yachts? I assumed that they were wedge driven and streak drive equipped, because that would be the fastest in both normal and hyper space. We have seen both Anisimovna and Harahap in smaller yachts that were were wedge and streak drive equipped and I do not understand why the bigger ones would be different. The visits to Galton could not have been done in a spider drive ship.

The BC sized yacht I'm mentioning had a spider drive and streak drive - mentioned that it had a different shape than normal ships in the Honorverse because of the spider drive - really our first look at a spider drive ship (A. Detweiler was on his way from Mesa to Darius to see off the OB assault fleet).

Anisimovna and Harahap were on Streak dispatch boats with luxury accomodations - about 1/20th or so the size of the spider Yacht Detweiler had.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:Thanks. I suppose I should be careful about referring to the Lenny Detweilers that way. But Spider simply sounds more dramatic, scarier, more interesting, and just downright more dangerous. For stealth's sake, I suspect they will be as black as the darkest hue of space. Which means that if they have nicknames given to them by their crew as well as their GA counterparts, then I don't think The Black Widow sounds too far-fetched.

The LDs are the 4th class - there is a class of BC sized Auxiliaries currently active used as Luxury yachts.

And the Sharks were used in system strikes, I would class that a tactical use, even if they are going to be outdated and replaced by the LDs. The Ghosts are made for scouting and terminal guidance of munitions - a mobile Moriarity system writ small.

Modern tactics are based on shells of systems working in harmony. Bradleys, Apaches, humvees and Abrams all have weaknesses and limitations; used properly together, they are greater then their individual strengths. Same here.

I suppose that that has to be considered as a tactical use. I didn't forget about that, but I was referring more to their use during the heat of battle. I suppose one can formulate some sort of plan that uses them in a tactical capacity even then; like the instruments whose bombardments will be used to open the battle in an enemy system. I suppose as well that their stealth could be as good as the LDs come time to pay the Piper, meaning they could actually maneuver deep in system.

But if anyone else wants to argue that the Sharks have more of a strategic use, like glorified ICBMs, I won't argue the point. As of their first use, IINM, they didn't even have a dedicated deployment system for the torps.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:39 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I suppose that that has to be considered as a tactical use. I didn't forget about that, but I was referring more to their use during the heat of battle. I suppose one can formulate some sort of plan that uses them in a tactical capacity even then; like the instruments whose bombardments will be used to open the battle in an enemy system. I suppose as well that their stealth could be as good as the LDs come time to pay the Piper, meaning they could actually maneuver deep in system.

But if anyone else wants to argue that the Sharks have more of a strategic use, like glorified ICBMs, I won't argue the point. As of their first use, IINM, they didn't even have a dedicated deployment system for the torps.

We know the Ghosts are unarmed, but we really don't know if the Sharks have any standard weapons or defenses. We know they were test beds, and the LDs are the final intention. However, the Malign did build 27 of the buggers - that's alot of investment in a testbed 4-5 Mtons in size if they are nothing than a podbay and a drive intended to be thrown away after the testing phase. If not otherwise armed, they will probably be used as colliers or minelayers going forward - but who knows.
Post by tlb   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:44 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:What do we know about the yachts? I assumed that they were wedge driven and streak drive equipped, because that would be the fastest in both normal and hyper space. We have seen both Anisimovna and Harahap in smaller yachts that were were wedge and streak drive equipped and I do not understand why the bigger ones would be different. The visits to Galton could not have been done in a spider drive ship.

Theemile wrote:The BC sized yacht I'm mentioning had a spider drive and streak drive - mentioned that it had a different shape than normal ships in the Honorverse because of the spider drive - really our first look at a spider drive ship (A. Detweiler was on his way from Mesa to Darius to see off the OB assault fleet).

Anisimovna and Harahap were on Streak dispatch boats with luxury accomodations - about 1/20th or so the size of the spider Yacht Detweiler had.

Please point me to the text for that, as I am having a lot of trouble believing there is a BC sized yacht with spider drive at a time when the Shark is the largest warship. I have looked at chapter 40 of Storm from the Shadows where the Detweilers watch the fleet heading out for Oyster Bay and at chapter 38 in Mission of Honor where they thank the crews after the operation and do not see any such mention. The most said about the yacht in MOH is the following:
The "private yacht" was about the size of most navies' battlecruisers, and almost as heavily armed. Which didn't prevent it from being one of the most luxuriously appointed vessels in the galaxy . . . as well as one of the fastest. It had made the passage from the Mesa System forty percent more rapidly than anyone else's ship could have managed it.

Further point, you are saying that a spider drive yacht was used in the ride from Mesa and then on to the meeting in Mannerheim, at a time it was such a secret that Galton did not have a clue?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:09 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Theemile wrote:The BC sized yacht I'm mentioning had a spider drive and streak drive - mentioned that it had a different shape than normal ships in the Honorverse because of the spider drive - really our first look at a spider drive ship (A. Detweiler was on his way from Mesa to Darius to see off the OB assault fleet).

Please point me to the text for that, as I am having a lot of trouble believing there is a BC sized yacht with spider drive at a time when the Shark is the largest warship. I have looked at chapter 40 of Storm from the Shadows where the Detweilers watch the fleet heading out for Oyster Bay and at chapter 38 in Mission of Honor where they thank the crews after the operation and do not see any such mention. The most said about the yacht in MOH is the following:
The "private yacht" was about the size of most navies' battlecruisers, and almost as heavily armed. Which didn't prevent it from being one of the most luxuriously appointed vessels in the galaxy . . . as well as one of the fastest. It had made the passage from the Mesa System forty percent more rapidly than anyone else's ship could have managed it.

Further point, you are saying that a spider drive yacht was used in the ride from Mesa and then on to the meeting in Mannerheim, at a time it was such a secret that Galton did not have a clue?
Yeah - I'm also not finding anything that says the MANS Genesis (Albrecht's yacht) had spider drive. Pretty clearly has streak drive; what with the comments about transit speed -- but don't see anything saying it's an unusual shaped ship.

Return to Honorverse